Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Economy and Constructed Rooms  (Read 476 times)

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
On Economy and Constructed Rooms
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:51:37 am »

My new project is going to call for exclusively constructed rooms, no natural rock walls.  I'm not too worried about them being too expensive, just not expensive enough for any rich dwarfs (no smoothing or engraving tricks).

So, are there any negative aspects to having rooms that are too cheap?  Like bad thoughts from rich dwarfs that are assigned, say, a one tile large bedroom.  Bad thoughts from families with not enough space or beds?  Will dwarfs quit a room for any reason than it's too expensive?

Also, can I turn economy on and off without needing to regen? ... I guess this is trivial to check.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Economy and Constructed Rooms
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:08:00 am »

Expensive rooms make dorfs happy. Cheap rooms make nobles declare mandates.

Personally, I turn rent off and give everyone nice rooms, with +Obsidian furniture+ and +engravings+.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:09:55 am »

Personally, I turn rent off and give everyone nice rooms, with +Obsidian furniture+ and +engravings+.

and I'm on the flip-side: i like producing a massive range of rooms (both size and quality) from the huge emperor-style bedroom/dining suites to tiny 1x2 and 1x3 unengraved, undecorated sleeping pods. That way when the economy kicks in every dwarf finds their appropriate level (apart from the nobles and champs whom you can still assign rooms for).

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:14:30 am »

Generally you want a nice mix. Closet sized rooms that can be rented for a song prevent unhappy thoughts in you haulers. Large, beautifully decorated rooms make your legendary crafters happy. Royally designed rooms make your nobles less angry (and less likely to hand out mandates).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 09:45:00 am »

Expensive rooms make dorfs happy. Cheap rooms make nobles declare mandates.

Of course, then you have to contend with your nobles whining about how all of your lesser dorfs have such nice sleeping quarters that they clearly don't deserve (only nobles should get such high quality living space).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 10:40:40 am »

I'll focus on producing iron and steel furniture, rotate out woodcrafters so I don't get too many +Beds+, and just play with the room sizes.  Because this is a construction, I can rebuild rooms on the fly, but I'm guessing my initial dormitories will be cheap and cramped just to get dwarfs into the fort and closer to their working spaces.

Is there a minimum quality level to produce a happy thought?  For example, anything at or above 1000 rent produces a happy thought, and anything below produces ... nothing I hope.

By the way, my first brainstorm was to slowly rebuild the constructed fortress into an iron fortress.  That's far too long term, so I changed it to slowly rebuilding into obsidian.  But maybe I could just substitute in iron walls and floors for engraved walls and floors as a value modifier, as needed.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 08:32:38 pm »

My dwarves are cheap bastards.  All my nice mid-class (smoothed with some rock furniture) goes unused and the sleeping pods have a waiting list  :-\

Anyway, I think as long as they aren't sleeping on the "hard rock floor" of the barracks, you at least stay neutral.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:43:55 pm »

As for your last question, no regen is needed economy-wise, UNLESS the economy has already been started in that particular fort, then you would require either a regen, or an abandon/reclaim.