Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One freakin' imp  (Read 1086 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
One freakin' imp
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:35:17 am »

I set up a new fortress with an open magma pool and everything was going fine until an imp popped out. I killed it easily with a miner on active duty, and then noticed the fire. It spread so quickly that I couldn't block it off and since I was playing on a plain, I couldn't flood myself to ensure a slower demise. How does anyone survive with these things? I've tried the wiki, and I've searched a few threads, but nothing has a magma survival guide :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One freakin' imp
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:42:04 am »

well, I try to dig on the opposite side of the river (if there is one) from the pipe, and if I can't, I dig quickly and get everyone inside where the fire can't reach

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:46:19 am »

i tell my dwarves to go inside and wait for the fire to peter out, or just have constant guards around the pipe
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:04:03 am »

I wall off the magma vent so that its incindiary inhabitants can't escape and get up to mischief.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:30:18 am »

With closed magma pipes and pools, you can use a well placed (read as big as possible) cavein of the magma pipe's/pools roof to kill the imps if you want to. There is still a chance that one or two will escape, but generally it will kill all of them.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:15 pm »

I dig the door far away, and then try to keep it as tightly closed. Fire imps seldom wander far enough to enter, and if they do they cannot trespass tightly closed doors (I think).

In fact, the only time I had massive casualties by fire imp was the very first fortress in which I installed glass furnaces. I didnīt put up a grate in the magma access hole, and one got to my sleeping dwarves and destroyed a lot of valuable booze. I also lost one dwarf or two. Anyway, I floored that up and built a second magma access with a glass grate on it to keep the imps out.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:08:34 pm »

I wall off the magma vent so that its incindiary inhabitants can't escape and get up to mischief.

Digging a channel is even faster, although the imps can still toss fireballs (I assume.)
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 01:44:34 pm »

If you're suffering from wildfires, you can make firebreaks by constructing dirt roads.  It wipes out flammable vegetation and stops the fire from spreading.  Any dwarf can do it, and it only takes a few seconds, so it's more effective (and less destructive) than channelling, in my experience.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:23:22 pm »

Also getting a wall up around your fort's entrance helps keep the fire away. Best way to prevent it is to wall off or otherwise block imps from leaving the pipe. Also be sure to remove any ramps near a pipe. Nothing says Fun like loosing several dwarves to a fire 2 years after you wall of the pipe because some stupid imp found a ramp and was able to escape :|
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 09:30:11 pm »

I find an engraver who is perfectly agile, I dig 1 z level below where I place my forges, and have him smooth 1 tile of the wall of the magma pipe, and then carve it into a fortification.  He runs, magma flows in, imps can't walk through.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 10:21:13 pm »

oooh. that last one is dangerous but worthwhile...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 07:58:57 am »

I find an engraver who is perfectly agile, I dig 1 z level below where I place my forges, and have him smooth 1 tile of the wall of the magma pipe, and then carve it into a fortification.  He runs, magma flows in, imps can't walk through.
it ain't dangerous if your dwarves have the [SPEED:1]

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 02:06:31 pm »

If you don't have a freakishly fast dwarf (seriously, can they get to speed 1 without modding the raws?) you can channel in from the top. Engrave a wall two squares away from the pipe then tunnel down into the last square. Floor over the hole or set up some traps to gut the little buggers if they decide to come through and you're set.

As for open magma pipes, channel around them. The big issue isn't with the imps getting out, they won't wander far. They like to torch wild animals which sets the world on fire. A channel will keep most of the animals out, which reduces the chance of accidental fires. Be warned though, I've seen fire jump brooks, climb up and down hills, and generally do a lot of things that fires really aren't supposed to be able to do. On the bright side, unless there are fire/magma men, a single marksdwarf posted by the vent will keep the imps at bay. They usually won't engage military.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 02:11:35 pm »

Dont find an engraver who is perfectly agile. Just find a soapmaker who is willing to try his hand at engraving.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 02:22:38 am »

Dont find an engraver who is perfectly agile. Just find a soapmaker who is willing to try his hand at engraving.
This.  Get a migrant dyer to live up to his job description.  He won't have any friends anyway, and he won't be wearing or carrying anything that won't melt, so you can forget about him entirely.
I brake for stumble bumblings