Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal shortage?  (Read 472 times)

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal shortage?
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:03:05 am »

Do animals stop coming into the area in certain seasons? I noticed new hairy marmots stopped dropping by after I killed the old ones in winter. But then in spring they started up again.
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animal shortage?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:06:54 am »

I can't be exactly sure about this, but I'm pretty sure that in most climates, winter populations are smaller (or nonexistent).  Beyond that, there's also the bit about over-hunting your area, which happens far too quickly in the current version(s).  Animals re-pop a little each season, but killing them all is killing them all for a while.

This is much more noticeable in fishing - once you have a legendary Fisherdwarf, you run out of fish in the rivers pretty quickly.  Provided they're bereft of carp, that is.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:04:35 pm »

The animal population is actually a complex model - it's not like some games where every day there is a % chance for random critters to show just so you can kill or be killed.

There is a starting population in your area (off map), and once that's gone, it's gone.  Seasons effect this on the short term, and animals can be killed "offscreen" or during world gen.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 01:36:09 pm »

Animals also breed in the wild, though I think it's slower than in captivity. So long as you leave a few breeding pairs in the wild, you won't ever run out of wild game though, so just limit your hunting.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:56:58 pm »

limit your hunters to 1 or they'll hunt everything to extinction in very short order

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 05:02:09 pm »

limit your hunters to 1 or they'll hunt everything to extinction in very short order

Or, better yet, eliminate all of your hunters and catch everything in cage traps/animal traps.  Tame everything you can and butcher at your leisure.  Generally a good way of controlling/maintaining populations.  A couple might need the dungeon master, though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 06:15:25 pm »

Currently there is only a finite amount of wildlife.

Once you kill them all, you will have no more wildlife wander into your fortress.

This is a known issue, and I think one that will be fixed either next release, or the release after.