Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Umm, cats?  (Read 1491 times)

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Umm, cats?
« on: July 13, 2009, 04:54:28 am »

Ahh... I made the mistake of embarking with cats. How do I control them? I THINK that you can't assign cats with owners to cages or restraints, so what can I do?

I really don't care if I have to kill them too tantruming dwarves would be Fun but how do I do the deed?
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Umm, cats?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:11:30 am »

you can't control them, your best bet is to chuck em in a cage if they haven't adopted yet

if they get adopted, put a lever behind a non pet passable door, surround the outside of the door with spear traps, and lock the dwarf who's pet you want to exterminate in, and have him pull the lever constantly.

even cats can't survive that, or you could be creative, and have said dwarf fire a ballista at his cat using the same method, thats what i do

my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:55:42 am »

well,i tend to kill them and my dwarfs for no reson hang all the cat bodies in the room i keep the goblins hung,so we have like a death room
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 10:30:15 am »

Cram any kittens in a cage the very instant they're born, and slaughter them when they become cats. It SHOULD stop population explosions.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09:34 am »

Cram any kittens in a cage the very instant they're born, and slaughter them when they become cats. It SHOULD stop population explosions.

accualy,i love mass spam of reproduction,compairing that the race i made are carnivors there the only scorce of food so yah =D
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 11:20:16 am »

lol, say goodbye to your framerate
Hello Hunam

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:55 pm »

lolololololol

quad core 4 gb of ram with 500 gb of space..yahh my games LAGGS likes pac-man
Story of my life.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 01:02:16 pm »

Ahh... I made the mistake of embarking with cats. How do I control them? I THINK that you can't assign cats with owners to cages or restraints, so what can I do?

I really don't care if I have to kill them too tantruming dwarves would be Fun but how do I do the deed?

I start w/ 2 and use them for leather/bones/meat - it's not that big a deal (if you stay on top if it, admittedly.)  Also depends how many cat lovers you have - look in dwarfs' profile, to see if they "love cats for their aloofness".  If you have none, then none have adopted any dwarfs yet and you can take care of it now.

You want to kill all the females - males won't breed, and several males are not a bad thing (they can die, after all).

Go to the z-animals menu, and mark them for slaughter. 

If a female is adopted, its trickier - the "owner" will spaz out a bit, but no biggie - you could assign a war dog to them if you're really worried (they'll attack insane dwarfs), or just remove all your Leader's labours temporarily and let them hold a meeting, calm them down.  Or put them in a private room with bed and booze see how they react (see below.)

The above suggestions are standards.  Another is knock out the pet (via a contrived collapse) and get them into a cage, and toss the cage into some magma - or just crush them with the collapse - the variations are endless.

Once you have no females, you're back in the safe zone - 100 males are no more dangerous than 1 (except to FPS).

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 01:16:54 pm »

If youre not averse to a little "cheating" you could add the tag [ LITTERSIZE:0:0 ] to their entry in the raws to stop them having kittens. Normally I dont cheat to make the game easier, but cats are a special case.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:20:04 pm by Sidhien »

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 01:25:17 pm »

lol,i have cows [liTTERSIZE:5:10]
Story of my life.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 01:48:50 pm »

lolololololol

lolololololol
DF is single-threaded.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 02:40:41 pm »

lolololololol

lolololololol
DF is single-threaded.

single-threaded?
Story of my life.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 03:58:40 pm »

lolololololol

lolololololol
DF is single-threaded.

single-threaded?
It only uses one of your processors.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 04:10:31 pm »

lolololololol

lolololololol
DF is single-threaded.

single-threaded?
It only uses one of your processors.

darng,talk about a good processor =D
Story of my life.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 04:18:19 pm »

If you are just good about tossing every cat that's born into a cage immediately there's really no problem with the cat population. All the cats in the world will fit into one cage. On my current fort I think I have 20 kittens in a single cage.
Pages: [1] 2