Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gathering multiple objects  (Read 485 times)

G4

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Gathering multiple objects
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:37:58 am »

Allright, I did a search on the other message threads and found few references to this. So here goes:

Problem: when dwarves go to collect items, they pick up one (1) item, no matter the size/weight, go to the stockpile, refuse heap, whatever, drop off, come back, repeat. A waste of time and strength.

Solution: when a dwarf goes to collect items (this may go for designated haulers), he picks up one (1) bin, collects whatever fits the bin, then distributes items at the destination areas, moving them from carried bin to square/another bin.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Gathering multiple objects
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:46:03 am »

A whole bin is often VERY heavy and results in some very slow movement, smaller things like buckets, bags or in the future baskets (made directly from reeds, quicker & cheaper then cloth production), would be better.

This would probably be the next logical step after proper stack-fusion occurs (aka a farmer is picking Plump Helmet stacks of various sizes and combines stacks to get to a standard maximum stack count of 5 before running off to put them in a stockpile).  This would ensure that a FULL stack is carried and would be a huge benefit but it still leave Dwarves carrying at most a pair of socks rather then just one.  Now logically I'd say a Dwarf (or any demi-human for that matter) should get to carry two stack at a time if weight total is manageable.  But if they have a carrying container like a bag, bucket or basket they can carry a many more stacks again allowing for weight of course.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 05:53:42 am »

When stack fusion is implemented bolt makers won't be nearly so useful anymore. Think about it, if one out of every three bolts (on average) becomes useful as part of a stack, your bolt makers have to do only 2/3rds of the work the used to do.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

G4

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:04:05 am »

Carrying a stack (by definition, a heap of items) is unwieldy and directly dependent upon the items' solo and total bulk and weight. You can juggle 5 buckets or you can carry a stack of 15 (if they're the same size and you are strong enough), you can hug 20 socks to yourself or you can carry a basket with 50 pairs packed accurately. Have to count the pickup and packing time though...