Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Genocide: What?  (Read 1585 times)

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
Genocide: What?
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:53:38 pm »

Every time I attack even the smallest of towns with the strongest of weapons and armor, I always get killed by the lowly macemen and such. Is there some secret that I'm not aware of?

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Genocide: What?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 08:21:58 pm »

i can only see 2 problems you might have.
1: not enough shields.
2: not enough awesome (exp)
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:26:31 pm »

Ok I posted a pretty indepth combat faq here at one point but I see it has fallen away somewhere so I'll lend you some help.

First, make sure your blocking is at least pretty good and some legendary wrestling wouldn't hurt either. From there, I would recommend attempting to grapple and break the guard's weapon arm, since it will force the weapon out of his hand. If you're fighting one on one I suggest hurling your weapon at him as he closes in and then trying to wrestle his weapon out of his hand.

The best thing you can probably do is this though. Get your throw skill to max +5. Gather up all the arrows and bolts you can. Hurl them at people as they charge toward you.

Also, if you're really in a jam, scurry into a building and wait beside the door. When a guard comes in grab is sword with your shield and hack him to death while he can't fight back (with his weapon at least). Also, spears and pikes are wonderful against single, organic opponents.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 05:31:17 pm »

I add the suggestion to carry around some extra weapons for throwing, I personally prefer spear and axes. Dismemberment from a distance, yay!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 10:25:46 pm »

throwing axes is fun...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 10:58:43 pm »

especially if they're great axes or whatever the two handed axes in this game are.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 01:58:29 pm »

Shield spoiler (don't read it!):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 11:55:24 pm »

Make sure you stand up when you fall over (you don't do as much damage laying down) and try to avoid being surrounded by your enemies (don't be afraid to back away from large groups, hacking as you retreat). When badly injured, try to get somewhere where you cannot be seen (in a house, behind a tree) and try to sneak away from the area. Fight with your highest weapon skill and with your strongest weapon (for example, a long sword is far more effective in the hands of a human than a short sword). With these in mind, melee fighters should not be very difficult to defeat as you generally start out stronger than the average soldier. However, there are always flukes as combat is random and with archers all odds are off; they can destroy ANY adventurer of any skill level; the only way to handle them is to return fire with hopefully more accurate and damaging projectiles or attempt to sneak in close and attack them (although at close range they STILL fire their weapons as opposed to trying to hit you with home, causing great damage). Getting merced by archers happens to everyone, but I'm surprised you are having trouble defeating run of the mill soldiers; what sort of weapon experience do you have when you fight them? If you're at least proficient you should have little trouble from my experience as long as you battle them one on one.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 12:23:27 am »

Remember: you may be a wall of iron in terms of armor, but every single enemy has weapons made out of the Silver Surfer.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 09:36:57 am »

Remember: you may be a wall of iron in terms of armor, but every single enemy has weapons made out of the Silver Surfer.

You appear to be implying that Iron Man would lose to the SS. I hope my inference is incorrect.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 12:35:01 pm »

Oh no, of course not. Iron Man would kick Silver Surfer's ass

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 12:59:45 pm »

but you are no iron man, dear player character, for dispite your armor claiming it is made of iron it is actually made of cardboard and rubber bands. Rather silly of you not to notice that.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 09:08:16 pm »

oh yeah, piecewise. You stole my sig format! :D

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 09:40:51 pm »

It seems to be the hit-thing at the moment
I may adopt one, myself

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]