Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Penetrating the Impenetrable Fortress  (Read 9874 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Penetrating the Impenetrable Fortress
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 03:38:44 pm »

I actually like the idea of some dwarfs getting unhappy thoughts for not being able to go outside due to sieges.  Make it a kind of seasonal thought, "Urist McCheesemaker is worried about being cut off" or some such.  This would provide incentive for ending a siege, but if it is done right the bad thoughts could be managed so as to outlast a siege or three.  Maybe skirmishes that are won or lost could have an effect as well, "Urist McFisherdwarf is worried about the loss recently" etc.

I was thinking seasonal myself, mostly just to save on CPU cycles. Rather than having dwarves continually search for a path to the edge of the map for this check, do it at the turn of each season, but make it a really big negative thought. Like on par with loosing a spouse or something. Enough to turn an ecstatic dwarf to neutral. And then a neutral dwarf to very unhappy. Only 4 checks per dwarf per year, and enough time to give you a chance to react to the siege, but if you let them camp out in front of the walls and blockade you for the entire duration, you're going to have some tantrums. Legendary dining rooms can help quite a bit, but even they may not be able to stave it off entirely.

Rather than beef up the siege AI or let them tunnel through rock and knock down walls, it just gives the player encouragement to not seal off the outside world completely and allow the enemy at least a fighting chance to make it through that gauntlet of death and magma.

A chance stacked horribly against the green tide, but hey, its still a chance.  :D

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 04:09:48 pm »

Dwarves spontaneously going crazy from being confined underground seems sorely out of character. Aside from that, it'd be a blatantly video gamey mechanic in it's magnitude. Food, drink and medicine running low would affect morale severely when facing a genocidal enemy but simply being confined in total safety does little in itself. Dwarves randomly going crazy from short term stress and starting a tantrum spiral is NOT a valid game mechanic. Food should spoil and drinks require actual fermentation, otherwise storing massive quantities of supplies is trivial. Proper preparation would be key if you want to wait it out

Besides, sieges already have some sort of special mechanic in place as the word siege pops on screen. There's no point in tracking surface access
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:13:37 pm by Pilsu »

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 04:13:30 pm »

Problem: Traps
[...]
Solutions:  Limit traps' effectiveness, put a single weapon in a weapon trap, make it so traps can be disarmed or discovered.  If someone in a siege get caught in a cage trap, have their companions stop and break them out.  Megabeasts either shouldn't be able to be caged at all, or if they are, should break themselves out of any cage given a bit of time, might also apply to other enemies as well.

Just to reiterate what I've said elsewhere, I think the main remedies for traps are to:
1: Make traps less intelligent - i.e. not able to perfectly tell the difference between friend and foe all the time.
2: Make enemies more intelligent - i.e. once a trap is revealed to a group of enemies, they'll be able to circumvent it just like dwarfs do.
A pleasant mix of both, plus a little more requirements for their construction, would do the trick, I feel. They'd still be useful but they'd mean tradeoffs.
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 04:19:11 pm »

if you make the enemys to strong,the game is not played,if you make the enemy to weak,there is no fun envolved.

if you have overlapping weaknesses and strengh then its fun

unless u think building a wall around a mass area and adding a roof will protect you form everything,then this is not hte game for you to even be playing
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 04:22:02 pm »

It almost seems like a good (temporary) fix would be for traps to count as 'unavailable' squares for dwarves (or maybe avoid 1000)...

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 04:24:07 pm »

Another possible solution to trap fields is have trapavoid be more than just a on/off thing so you could have invaders with a % chance to avoid traps rather than being 100% miss or 100% hit. It's not a complete solution but it'd help to make defense more dynamic as you can't rely on pressure plates and traps 100%.

Also as said being 'under siege' should generate unhappy thoughts over time in civilians so if you just try to ignore the siege behind your walls your population will eventually get mad. It doesn't make sense that your population isn't worried by the horde of attackers right outside the gates. Just have two/three thoughts. So the first check would be a moderate hit to happiness. The second would be more severe and the third would be almost sure to cause some tantrums.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:27:08 pm by Slogo »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 04:47:51 pm »

The 3x1 trap idea is interesting but what if it was more involved in trap layout and less about power.

Basically my suggestion would be that traps of different kinds involve different shapes and requirements. Stonefall and cage traps would be 1x1x2*. they would need to be built over an open space and would 'drop down' to the z-level below. Alternatively they could be a 1x1x1 'drop' but would require a pressure plate to trigger (effectively making it 1x1x2). This would limit corridors of stone fall and cage traps as you would need access to each stonefall/cage trap from above to reload it and it would occupy the space below preventing traps from being stacked.

Add a new 'pit cage' trap that would work 1x1x2 but with the cage below for outside trapping of animals and such. Likewise spike traps should require a 1x1x2 area.

Weapon traps should be 1x3 as mentioned and only work with the specialty trap weapons rather than all. Right now it's too easy to just load up the weapon traps with dead gobbo gear. The weapon traps should start at one side of the 3x1 tiles and 'swing out' to hit the other 2 when activated and then have a cooldown before they trigger again, provided they aren't stuck. The tile that the weapon starts on would not be passable while the other two would be. At the very least this limits the amount of traps you can stuff into a single area as each takes up 3x the space. Each weapon trap should be limited to 1 'weapon' as well. Right now it's just absurd how much damage you can pack into a small area by loading up weapon traps.

Arrow weapon traps should be 1x1 and require a particular facing. They would require a lever or a pressure plate to trigger. When triggered the bolt flies out in the specified direction and hits ANYTHING in its path (friendly or not).

Also glass weapons should have a chance to 'break' when activated. Right now on a magma + sand map glass weapon traps are too easy to produce since they come from infinite goods (sand and magma glass furnace).

Then add to the enemy AI a bit. Specifically they should be able to free caged allies reducing the efficiency of cage traps and be able to disable traps if they can get to them. This would require a non-diagonal access to the trap so traps could only be disabled after firing at least once if they're 'hidden' around a corner or in a nook. Disabled traps could be reset by a mechanic just like stuck ones.

* I know right now there's not really much support for objects that span multiple z levels but I'll make the assumption that it's doable in at least some respects or at the very least it can be faked.

I'm not really a fan of allowing the enemies to do much digging. Mostly because it's impossible to replace the wall they dug through so it'd always be an 'eye sore' to your map. Plus what if goblins dug through some HFS, or ore and mined it all out without leaving behind rock. That could really put a damper on your play. Them mining through constructed objects (like walls) would be less problematic but still could be problematic.

Why I didn't edit this into the above post I don't know.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:51:56 pm by Slogo »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 04:58:47 pm »

You're supposed to wait out the siege, that's the main strategy. It's a siege.

Civilians getting rowdy just because they can't leave an area they never would have left anyway is ridiculous. Sure, tensions would mount among humans but dwarves would not go crazy from simple confinement over time when nothing has really even changed! If morale is to go down, there needs to be a reason. Unless you specifically choose a map with an underground river providing sustenance, those will become a problem. Medicine will be problematic everywhere as it would be a surface plant. Preferably not even farmable

Speaking of confinement, dwarves that like the outdoors in general should get bad thoughts from never going out

Adding [trAPAVOID:10%] to every enemy will get tiresome quick. The trap itself should affect it's mechanics in general, not arbitrary tags in every damn critter in the game. As addressed in my thread, reload time, jam percentages etcetera are much better ways of general balancing. Overall, this isn't a trap nerf thread so let's cut this derail short
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:09:47 pm by Pilsu »

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 09:36:04 pm »

ether way,ork's are probably the hardest thing to kill (i could kill a frog daemon easier)
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 11:50:37 pm »

My suggestion for traps would be to have them "spring loaded". You can load 10 steel chainsaws in them, but it will only fire once (maybe more depending on the mechanism's quality) before needing to be rewound. Rewinding a trap would be similar to cleaning it (in fact, jamming could be removed entirely) in that any dwarf who has no other task can do it.

Most of your other suggestions are good, though.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 01:01:49 am »

I like the idea of having to re-tensioning the traps, but some trap weapons (spinning disc, spiked balls, corkscrew) wouldn't just wind down in one use.  This would encourage players to use actual trap components over traditional weapons.  Traditional weapons should most definitely be single use, needs rewinding trap components.  Spinning discs, spiked balls, corkscrew traps should be able to go something between 2-10 or so times before requiring rewinding.

Definitely have an order to specify if traps are being rewound currently or not.

As for sapper or diggers or ladders or such, boiling oil is the primary solution to those sorts of wall circumventing behaviors.  Have your dwarfs on the ramparts able to dump crap like stone or hot oil or chemicals upon invaders.  Mixing potash and pearlash into water and then dumping the alkaline solution on invaders could be caustic and cause minor damage (even to hardened creatures), and an oil/water mixture could be quite flammable if set ablaze in some fashion (flaming crossbow bolts, anyone?).

If some sort of hay or straw or cave wheat can be gathered and bundled into bales, you could feed some grazing livestock with it.  It could also be using as a construction material allowing for thatch constructions and as a mix-in for any sort of pottery to add tensile strength to some creations. 

However..

flaming bails of hay and straw raining down on invaders siege towers and siege equipment would be an excellent method to cause light but continous damage until the fires are extinguished.

If fires are allowable for a weapon of war, units will definitely need some sort of way to extinguish blazes in progress.  Both sides of a battle will need to be able to quench a fire if one comes up, adding buckets and bucket brigades into the fold of combat strategies.
Computer says 'No'.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 01:26:18 am »

I was thinking... how about making weapon traps rewindable in one use, only they can be rewinded without going to the actual trap? AKA: You can already link WTs to levers. What if the lever actually turns the trap on, and when it fires, you have to Pull the lever to rewind it?

Oh, and you cant just put it on repeat because when you pull the lever after it's winded you are unwinding it. (why would you want to do this? How about making traps not selective between dwarves and enemies, hence making it desirable to have a way to turn them off?)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 02:05:10 am »

Once fire is fully implemented it should be a go-to tactic of sieging armies. Burning down farm plots, etc.

Cautious about goblin sappers (either too easy to counter b/c of the lack of fog of war – I would think you'd just need unoccupied, underground kill-rooms to intercept them – or exasperatingly ruinous depending on how cave-ins are handled)

I don't think years-long sieges would be interesting as a typical occurrence – maybe once in a while – but they could certainly stand to be more methodical and not so much the scrub zerg rushes they are now...

It is, sadly, an AI issue, but siegers should be smarter about probing entrances, sending scouts ahead of the main force. Ideally, once an angle of attack is decided, they'd consolidate forces and make one big rush.

This may also be asking too much, but retreating survivors should be able to tell the enemy armies about past disasters. "Don't go into the mooing cave!" But even if implemented this may be easy to game. "Grlux say nothing about the neighing cave! Doo de doo" *donk splat mangled head* I dunno.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 03:59:21 am »

I was thinking... how about making weapon traps rewindable in one use, only they can be rewinded without going to the actual trap? AKA: You can already link WTs to levers. What if the lever actually turns the trap on, and when it fires, you have to Pull the lever to rewind it?

Oh, and you cant just put it on repeat because when you pull the lever after it's winded you are unwinding it. (why would you want to do this? How about making traps not selective between dwarves and enemies, hence making it desirable to have a way to turn them off?)
That's a good idea. Effective pressure plates are hallway-wide. Dwarves shouldn't be able to avoid them easily. If they can, enemies can avoid them by chance, and that's not the intention. At most the dwarves should be able to jump over them, because they can tell where the pressure plate starts.

I'm still more inclined to require a connected power source or on-site resetting (the weights, the spring), and use the lever in the distance just to (dis)connect the trigger (pressure plate, tripwire) from the trap.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 04:19:59 am »

Sorry, bit of a jumble on the quotes here, picked out things that I saw from all the replies.

Here's a radical idea, how about you make the sieges, wait for it, actually siege you. Enemies just charging inside is not a fucking siege. Sure you can produce food inside but you could tie attrition to medicine instead, only available topside. If you stockpile massive quantities of that, well, you deserve to be able to outlast a siege. That's how it was done back in the day. That's what a siege is. Besides, losing access to caravans for years would be annoying enough to make most players oust the siege in a timely manner. If they'd rather not, it's a perfectly valid strategy. Letting the goblins mull about would probably make them overhunt the local wildlife and loot everything you have left outside

True, but there's no real way of making that threatening as it is.  I mean, food and water aren't hard to get in unlimited supply, even if you made food production take up 1000 times as much space, there's plenty of room for it underground over multiple levels.  Water you could get from an aquifer, or even if you did have to get it from an outside source like a hole in the bottom of a river, it's still only vulnerable to those that can swim, and you can put bars along a long straight narrow path, so only vulnerable to swimming building destroyers, and put a ballista aiming down it to easily take care of any of those that exist.

Medicine will be problematic everywhere as it would be a surface plant. Preferably not even farmable

I don't see why that would be problematic, my first fortress even Whipcaught had a large section outside that was walled off (was single high at first, added the fortified level later), it wasn't very hard and didn't really take long to do.  When that ran out of trees in the area that I had (because I didn't have magma, and so I needed a lot of trees to make use of all the iron around), I created an attached area surrounded by channels that was even easier to make.  It provided for quite a large number of trees and gatherable plants from herbalism, as well as above ground farms, but those only took up a fraction of the space.  Now perhaps if the plants had to have access to light (no roof over them at all), and flying enemies, or ways to get up over multi-story walls were far more common or easy, it might be a slight limitation.  You could always create an area sunk into a deep pit too though, so they would have to be able to deal with that as well.

Overhunting and loss of caravans are largely a minor inconvenience.  You can usually make everything you need (which isn't much if you don't need to defend against sieges, even if you do, it's not a lot) without caravans.  If there's something you really need from a caravan that gets destroyed outside, you can simply dig a hole beneath it (up staircases allow you to channel the ground above you), and drop it down into a pit, and collect it.  As long as they can't climb down you're safe.  Immigrants might die off, but you can make tunnels to the edges and seal them off the same way your fortress is, let some of them in that way, and then seal it off again, by any one of the listed methods.  If you're really concerned about things, you can do it in an airlock fashion, if for some reason you can't close/seal off the outer lock in time and it's breached, you can keep the inner lock closed to prevent your fortress from being breached.  Add in some water or magma to cleanse the chamber of any enemies left, and it can be reclaimed without fighting.  If caravans or immigrants come at all during a siege that is, i haven't had one last long enough to try it out.

Morale penalties are currently very easy to counter with an engraved royal dining room and a waterfall, so they'd have to be very severe to have much of an effect.  Even requiring a path to the outside can turn it from Dwarf Fortress to Dwarf Path of Traps.  All of your defenses would only have to be concentrated at a single narrow path, if they have no other way in.

Ideally, I'd like to have an overarching AI involved in planning sieges, and where sieges groups go. Have some cost for digging through a tile, or laying a bridge, or smashing down a wall.  Then, whenever a unit dies somewhere, add a big penalty for pathfinding trough that tile, or nearby tiles, so that after a siege gets absolutely destroyed marching through your killing hall of an entrance, the next time around, the pathfinding sees the huge cost of going down that hallway, and finds that something like building a bridge over the moat and attempting to knock down the wall becomes a more preferable path.  So you can't just have a single killing hall of death, but instead, have to defend everywhere, and only put all those traps down the entrance because it's a vulnerable point, not as your entire defensive plan.

At the end of the day, a well designed underground fortress in a perfect locale is completely impenetrable no matter what you do. Get used to it
Just because it is doesn't mean it should be.  And with all of these suggestions here, often a well designed underground fortress isn't even remotely close to being required, most of the things I've listed can be done in a single tile or two.

Eventually we might require ventilation
That might work well, but unless you can both fly or climb, and destroy grates and natrual or constructed walls, it would be fairly trivial to defend.

1: Make traps less intelligent - i.e. not able to perfectly tell the difference between friend and foe all the time.
Useful, but easy to get around, just checkerboard your entrance with traps, and then make pathfinding restricted over all the trap tiles.  Your dwarves walk carefully down the corridor, staying to the black tiles, avoiding stepping on the white ones, whereas enemies march in and get pincushioned.

2: Make enemies more intelligent - i.e. once a trap is revealed to a group of enemies, they'll be able to circumvent it just like dwarfs do.
Definitely useful, you'd think that after seeing the goblin in front of them step on a section of floor and get splattered, that they would figure out not to do the same thing again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4