Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is your current project?  (Read 1401 times)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
What is your current project?
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:26:08 pm »

I completed my aqueduct/bridge over an ocean thing and it was rather unimpressive, only took two years of full time devotion and I ended up with over 60 dwarves, and that's with orcs sitting outside my gates.

Then I was going for a massive population fort, but I was running into a lot of water difficulties so I'm postponing it.

Now I'm thinking about making some massive pyramids with tombs/vaults and lots of traps. And modded hostile elves...

How about you guys? BRAINSTORM THREAD GO
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your current project?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:37:46 pm »

Nothing much.  Just building a magma channel over all my noble and peasant rooms so I can open various hatches individually and dispose of problematic folk. 

Needs more bauxite, though.  Taking a while due to that. 

Good thing Nobles are stupid and aren't too concerned about why there's a drain in their room.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 07:51:57 pm »

A castle, carved out of a mountain.

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 07:57:47 pm »

A castle, carved out of a mountain.

I was going to carve out a mountain and make a castle in it's place. x]

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:05:14 pm »

Check out my sig.

It's an airship I designed on paper before I started working on it. For a better view of what I had planned, I included a lego construction.

I'm taking an unmodded approach (aside no-cave-ins so I can actually BUILD it) to this project, as well as thinking semi-realistically with some of the construction (sky and ground), as well, I'm going uber-detailed and making it as beautiful visually (while playing) as it is engineering-wise. Of course, I'm keeping it somewhat open to the community to toss in advice and references and whatnot if they feel like it; and who knows, I might even toss in cameos.

It's being done in a semi-LP form, sort of. More like, there's backstory into the construction of the ship and history with the crew that builds it and ship it ;D to their kingdom. But, with a ship of god, what would you do; especially considering the sacrifices that went into it; only to have it probably collect dust in the king's archive; or to be abused by nobility?

Again, the project's not dead. I just have been getting some really busy work days (carping real life and tourists). Can't get anything done lately.

Depending on whether I can complete it or not; and especially when I finish it. I'll be offering it to everyone to modify if the feel up to it. Being a fortress of god, it'll span across realities. Meaning, everyone can take a crack at making an alternate reality, based on the departure of the ship (or final touches, whatever happens first).

(So I won't have to necro-edit my post in case I change my sig, Bloodfist The Sky-Fortress of God AKA Armok's Gauntlet.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:28:30 pm by Itnetlolor »

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:13:57 pm »

Unfortunately I can't think of a way to make something without making the basics first. Perhaps a temporary fort?

Nevertheless:

Step 1: Find an area with a bottomless pit/magma pipe nearby.

Step 2: Build a suspended fort above the pit, covering the walkways, rooms, and such with walls and floors on top.

Step 3: When done, cover the bottom of the pit with stone floors.

Step 4: Breach the magma pipe and watch as the magma pours into your fort, creating a huge magma-suspended fortress.

Bonus points: Try to make a level that would release magma into the entranceway to burn goblins elves everyone, including immigrants. Then make it so that you can release the magma into the outside world, creating a perpetually charred landscape.

Then make fifty thousand obsidian shortswords, or mod the game and put the tag [CAN_STONE] on every weapon. Coat your whole fort with *Weapon Traps* and when you're bored just craft !!Dwarf Chunks!!.

Fun for all involved. Would only work if magma pipes refilled, though. Do they?
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 08:16:48 pm »

slowly, but yes
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 08:24:56 pm »

No idea, I tend to get bored with fortresses quickly, but this one right now that I'm on, I'll certainly go for a project of some kind, not sure what. It's a barren (and I mean BARREN, apart from the occasional camel and mountain critters.) desert which covers a flat area, mainly in the upper left part of the embark area and the rest is mountains and would actually look like a mesa as it has a large flat top area.

Also, on embark, the 'here, the ____ get hungry' said sasquatches, but don't they live in good savage areas? Mine is untamed wilds, besides, with the layering they have, the place is far too hot for them anyways.

Endek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:01:23 pm »

Eyup, long time lurker, first post.

My previous fort was an above ground castle with no underground works. Stone was got through a separate quarry starting from the bottom z-level up. It was going pretty well (albeit with a lot of clutter) until my own stupidity caused a 17 z-level cave-in (that tick froze the game for about 2 minutes) which took all of my miners and half of my haulers to oblivion.
A tantrum spiral ensued and all my masons working on the castle spammed cancel job because the stone I had designated to be built no longer existed.

My next idea is to build a giant house to scale (think Honey I Shrunk The Kids or a house from the perspective of a mouse). Might have to turn off invasions for this one though.

Ed

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:25:59 pm »

I made a giant arch with Microline and Marble.  And the very top is capped in Gold. It is 17 z-levels tall.  However it serves no purpose.  I'm currently working on a 10x10 shaft that goes from top to bottom, in the style of Nist Akath.   I'm thinking of starting a new fortress though, because my current one is very inefficient.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 09:38:37 pm »

I made a giant arch with Microline and Marble.  And the very top is capped in Gold. It is 17 z-levels tall.  However it serves no purpose.  I'm currently working on a 10x10 shaft that goes from top to bottom, in the style of Nist Akath.   I'm thinking of starting a new fortress though, because my current one is very inefficient.

Well, obviously your next challenging project would be to make that fortress efficient. :P

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 10:00:33 pm »

I'm making a tower. Just a tower. Mostly carved out of a mountain, but the upper fourth of it or so is constructed. Everyone will live and work in it, too.

Many people have done this before, but most of them haven't built it quite as tall as I have.

Pics when its done. Actually, the tower itself is finished, I'm just in the final phase of the project now, getting rid of the rock around it.

And when I'm done with the tower, I'm going to build a castle on the mountain it pokes out of, for my king to live in. And then I have another project for after my king's arrival, but that in itself is quite a bit of explaining.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 10:12:34 pm »

I am building an arena. This is my first one and I know that it is basically a standard project, but mine has a mural on the floor of a champion killing an elf ;D, and it will have tons of floodgates attached to preasure plates, so that when I release the captive goblins, groundhogs, elves, and dwarves (unfortunately started this fortress before learning of the orc mod :() They will walk on the preasure plates constantly changing the layout of the arena.

Sitting at 10 fps atm and am guessing that by the time I finish and am ready for my first battle, I will be at 5 max and when I start my battle it will drop to 0 and 1 :P

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 10:16:09 pm »

I made a mall with a working fountain.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 10:18:54 pm »

Im making a huge above ground castle. I'm at year 3 already, and so far Ive got the curtain wall done, a small gatehouse, 63 dwarves and serveral thousand booze.

... I should probably work on the castle now, instead of my food stockpile.
Pages: [1] 2