Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is your current project?  (Read 1398 times)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: What is your current project?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 10:20:00 pm »

surviving the orc mod(I= difficutlcy freak)
Hello Hunam

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 01:34:55 am »

I multitask
making an arena (thanks to that movie of the 17 dwarfs vs 100 goblins)
Making an outdoor tower to guard the entrance
channeling out a 10x wide moat with 2 drawbridges.
Planning on making a magma cannon to flood the far end of the moat.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 01:35:14 am »

Turning the Ardesfath map (dead succession game) into the new reinhammers. (megaproject city!)

currently working on a mall, steel factory, mountain built from the bottom Z-level (now hollowed), and a dragon statue that will (hopefully) belch magma. Also, a fully automated lignite bin garbage disposal.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 02:59:16 am »

Building a copy of the vatican over a volcano crater, possibly with smaller palaces underneath. Also, build several ways to sacrifice people to the gods in the main complex. I want one of them at least to use the serrated spinning disks.

I might add a magmapocalypse machine as an afterthought. How fast does volcano lava replenish? Can I realistically keep the foot of the volcano afire without running out of magma?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 05:05:33 am »

Building an underwater glass fortress in a major river valley. (the wally is to be flooded when the fortress is complete)

Here is the map, for those interested
Entropy is not what it used to be.

barny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 05:53:52 am »

In light of learning how to make GCS shoot silk through fortifications at rapid fire rates, I am trying to master a way to make Fire Imps/Dragons/Spoilers to shoot flames through them as well. The trouble is that what makes them shoot flames isn't coated in webbing like the bait for the GCS, they are covered in flame; and I end up with !!Kitten!!.

Currently, my fortress is on the Dwarf Heaven map, and any intruders get showered in webbing. Then, they trigger row of pressure plates by moving past the web zone which makes a bait animal fall for the imps, thus the intruders get a quick burst of flames shot into their lines.

In a general sense, this is a semi-effective step towards my goal of an automated defense. The trouble is that with my current design, the flame does not shoot head on and thus while the orks mover from north to south down a hallway, the imps fire west-east, which is sort of like waster fire. What usually happens, is that the orks trigger the bait animal to fall and the imps fire flames far too late to do any real damage. Also, flaming orks tends to be a loose-loose situation when you want to fight them up close instead of using Marksdwarves.

I am trying to perfect the system, and add in Booze-Bombs that drop with the bait animal, thus the burst of flames becomes a burst of flames + explosion. Due to the layout of my current system, this usually scores me 2 dead imps and 2 dead GCS, and a fort full of burning orks and dwarves.

I always felt using marksdwarfs was unfair and made things too easy, but that fighting Orks face to face is too hard. My goal is to somehow cripple the orcs before engaging them. Ideally, my final defense will be as follows:

1. Orks enter hallway and get showered in webbing
2. Orks get shot with flames + 1 large explosion
3. Orks get doused in water, extinguishing flames and leaving behind wounded Orks
4. Orks drop a few z levels into a glass arena in the center of the dining hall, in which my Elite Hammerdwarfs/Wrestlers await. Maybe I can design a badass arena as well. Hopefully stunning them and breaking their legs? I have yet to experiment with this part yet so help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 06:01:21 am by barny »

Papa Cauldur

• Bay Watcher
  • Eater of Yatagarasu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 03:28:47 pm »

My next project's probably been done before, but...

I plan on building a 7 or 8 z-level tall tower. The second level will cover the whole map, and I'm going to fill with magma, and by using retractable bridges made from bauxite or iron or whatever, have almost all of the floor disappear when I pull a lever. I might put another floor just like it a level or two above it a fill it with water, linked to the same lever.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 03:33:32 pm »

My first project on this current map is definetly going to be 'deal with the hippos that breed like rabbits'. Just have to get through a slightly botched embark (forgot to pack plump helmet and it's spawn), but what I really need is some more dwarfpower.

After that though, I'll think of something....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:35:24 pm by smjjames »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 03:35:30 pm »

I currently am trying to make an automated magmafall that burns enemies but allows people to pass through (I have a thread on it).

My other 'project' is a challenge of surviving in an terrifying marshland without digging into the ground. So everything is an above ground construction with wood, glass, and traded stone. My 'reasoning' is that the dwarves believe the ground to be cursed. It's fun but I got zombie wildlife instead of skeletal so now that I have decently trained markdwarves it's more slow paced than challenging. I also only get 1 caravan a year so I'm rapidly going through my wood supplies with only some basic constructions. Immigration is incredibly slow too, it took me 2.5 years to get up to 15 dwarves.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 04:03:46 pm »

Step 1:  Mine out every single z-layer and then simultaneously collapse the entire map.  (This will probably be the longest most tedious step as I just finished the first of 54 z-levels and it took forever)

Step 2:  ???

Step 3:  Profit!!!

I'm not going to say what I'm working on as I want it to be a secret when I spring it upon the community.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 04:25:57 pm »

I have a giant city i am hopeing to finish building. Look up the temple of magma (that is just the front gate)

Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Chicostick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 10:17:15 pm »

I'm working on a "mansion" on my current map. I noticed my embark name was "Soarmansions," so I sketched a rough drawing of what I thought a front gate to one would look like and went from there.

When finished it will have 5 towers, 4 outer ones at the cardinal points and a larger center one rising from the roof. The outer ones will have arched bridges connecting to the center tower.

Currently I have the main entrance mostly done, with a little tweaking to get it looking right. The main building is 3 z-levels high so far and I'm working on the scaffolding to the highest level. The main part will be 9 z-levels, and the towers will go 15 or 20 up, I haven't really worked it out yet.

Unfortunately I got off to a rocky start, an early death from an alligator led to being shorthanded immediatly, and after kobolds stole the dead guys stuff they ambushed and killed more. Luckily a few immigrant waves brought in more dwarves just in time.

*edit* Well I hit a snag, I made a noob mistake and forgot to check how many Z-levels I had to play with, and it was less than I thought. I'll have to change the design or deconstruct the front gate to change the dimensions  :-\

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:50:12 pm by Chicostick »

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 10:47:13 pm »

My next project's probably been done before, but...

I plan on building a 7 or 8 z-level tall tower. The second level will cover the whole map, and I'm going to fill with magma, and by using retractable bridges made from bauxite or iron or whatever, have almost all of the floor disappear when I pull a lever. I might put another floor just like it a level or two above it a fill it with water, linked to the same lever.
If you're going to do this, I suggest also having a large array of levers that operate individual bridges. That way you can also use it as a defense mechanism to napalm-bomb invaders.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 11:09:06 pm »

I'm making a fully functioning tower of ice.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 09:44:29 am »

I've had a few different projects in my fortress, but the most recent one completed is a death trap for invaders. I have a regular old bridge on my river and a corridor with some traps after it, but I found that most siegers would lose one or two guys to the traps and then give up. Hardly sporting of them, especially considering some of the groups from that side were all bowgoblins who I hate the worst.

Just after the trap corridor I built a little elevated area out of walls, with a ramp leading up to it, and it's walled in as well so it's like passing through a little covered bridge (except over land). At the far end away from my fortress, it ramps up another Z-level to form a little "lip", and then ramps bring it all back down to ground level--so wagons can use it. Within the corridor I have a few stone fall traps, mostly just to give the enemy a bad feeling before they hit the real danger. At the near end of this corridor, near the traps, I have three pressure plates that will trigger a floodgate. The floodgate lets water flor from a small room I can fill up at will (to arm the death trap) onto another pressure plate, which should remove a retractable bridge--right above the inside edge of the "lip". That retractable bridge is at the bottom of a large multi-level reservoir of water. If all goes according to plan, invaders stepping on the pressure plate will trigger the trap, but while they do so others will follow into the hallway. Then a colossal wall of water will push the whole sorry lot into the traps. At the end of this, I have another floodgate I can control to release the water holding down the pressure plate that controls the bridge, so the trap can be reset.

The only problem is, I haven't had any sieges since this thing was completed. It just got into fall though and I'm hoping now I'll see some action. In addition I've been walling off the west side of my map so eventually the only way in will be through a gauntlet of traps.
Pages: 1 [2]