Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elven town  (Read 889 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Elven town
« on: July 12, 2009, 02:27:19 pm »

So I figured it could be cool to embark on an Elven town and have two civilisations building alongside each other.

Turns out the elves just stand around doing NOTHING.  No building, farming, mining or even eating.
Bug or not yet coded?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Elven town
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:51:11 pm »

Not yet coded, plus it would kill your FPS, and elves never do anything useful anyway.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 05:20:33 pm »

FPS isn't really an issue atm (running a 150+ fortress at 60-ish on average)

Is this intended to be added in later?

It would ensure lots more FUN when other civs decide to mine through/build over/demolish parts of your fortress.
Besides, who doesn't want to collapse an entire elf town with the pull of a lever  :P

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:06:54 pm »

not to hickjack this thread, but how do i embark where a civ is? friendly or non-friendly.

from what i remember, i've tried to embark where there was 1 (it's the statue icon 6x6 square on the far left map right?), but the minute i put 1 single embark icon into the civ's location, embark is no longet highlited. what gives, and what do i mod?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:59:16 pm »

not to hickjack this thread, but how do i embark where a civ is? friendly or non-friendly.

from what i remember, i've tried to embark where there was 1 (it's the statue icon 6x6 square on the far left map right?), but the minute i put 1 single embark icon into the civ's location, embark is no longet highlited. what gives, and what do i mod?
You can't embark with other dwarves, but with any other civ, you can embark just fine.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 10:57:02 pm »

yeah, i tried to embark where a goblin civ was (i think).

hm, maybe i should try again?

idk.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 05:12:40 am »

goblin civ should work fine, (they are the pi symbols on the map).  lots of fun to be had sealing off a goblin tower and then filling the thing with water/gibbons/lava or whatever.

embarking in a human/elvish town has worked for me but they are damn boring.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 08:23:18 am »

So I figured it could be cool to embark on an Elven town and have two civilisations building alongside each other.

Turns out the elves just stand around doing NOTHING.  No building, farming, mining or even eating.
Bug or not yet coded?

That's because elves have no purpose in life except to piss of dorfs. Seriously, what were you expecting from them?
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 01:25:38 pm »

I dunno...

Tree houses perhaps?

Papa Cauldur

• Bay Watcher
  • Eater of Yatagarasu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 05:18:34 pm »

Elves make great target practice. And much laughs can be had diverting magma through their 'cities'

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 10:19:34 pm »

do what every smart DF'er would do.

place traps everywhere and let all the elfs fall onto it and then sell them to a pecific human race.
then abandon.
create a new fort and wait till they come with a trade, they should have elfs in a cage

MAKE THEM WHERE THEY CAN BE CATPURED THEN WHEN U GET THEM IN A CAGE MAKE ZTHEM UNCAPTURABLE!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 07:26:48 am »

Elves make great target practice. And much laughs can be had diverting magma through their 'cities'

The only time I ever embarked with an 'Elven retreat' nearby was when I built my Elven village incinerator... Ahh! Good times, nothing makes me more happy than a retreating Elf.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:51:21 am by Evil One »
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 11:29:34 am »

elves are useless vs kobolds and angry things, but vs goblins they're  useful first line of defence. shame I accidentally flooded my only fortress in elven lands.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.