Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get to deeper water 'vermin' fish?  (Read 507 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get to deeper water 'vermin' fish?
« on: July 12, 2009, 11:09:20 am »

Just a thought sparked by a discussion about fish on another thread in a different section.

Anyhow, the thing is that when I do fishing on ocean forts, all I get from the fisherdwarves are bat rays, mussels, and oysters. However, I've seen a variety of vermin fish in deeper waters offshore.

Obviously the answer is to build a pier of some sort, but I have no idea how to make one or if that will fix the ocean diversity vs what I'm actually catching problem.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get to deeper water 'vermin' fish?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:16:20 am »

Never tried, but will the game let you build a pier of constructed floors or bridges?  I know something works, just not entirely what.  After you get out there by whatever means works, see if you can find a way to build pumps to create a 'hole' in the water.  Go down and build a walled area down to the depth you want, just leave the corners open on the depth you want.  This lets water(and fish) in but canceled the pressure so you don't have to deal with your fishing area flooding.

Complete speculation on whether this should work, but I can't find any reason it won't except the pier thing, which isn't a problem if you start pumping at the shore and work your way out.  If my theory isn't making sense, say so and I'll clarify.  I just don't feel like drawing a picture right now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:19:40 am »

I understand what you mean. You're describing a caisson. I've only recently discovered that walls can be built so that they are 'suspended' in midair, that is, not touching the ground and only attached by a floor.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 11:33:59 am »

You suppose it's a viable technique for what you're trying to accomplish?  I'd test it myself, but my computer still isn't back.(what are those warranty people doing!?)

It's going to be tragic if Toady ever gets around to fixing that wall thing...  Be glad!  Stuff like floating walls and diagonals canceling water pressure are 'bugs' that I kindof need for my theory to work.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:48:06 pm »

Pumps can pump water out faster than it will flow in.  A series of pumps can be used to create a "hole" in large bodies of water that you can then construct walls and floors in - with pumps working, you could have the bottom (partially) open and fish out from down there.

New players should note that not all creatures in the ocean are "vermin", and some are "creature" that you don't "fish" for - you either kill them in combat, or trap them.  See the wiki on "fish", "creature" vs "vermin", and "trapping" vs "trap".

Also, there are no "deep water" fish - they just wander up and down the same as they wander around, the same as giant eagles change levels.  Eventually they'll come to the shore/surface.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 12:52:20 pm »

I know the difference between creature fish and vermin fish.

It's also entirely possible that the batrays and shellfish are just so common that they have a much higher chance of bieng caught.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 01:06:28 pm »

(I know that you know - you're not a "new player".  But since we were on the topic, that came to mind as a classic point of confusion.)  ;)