Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Downloading of Mods  (Read 497 times)

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
Downloading of Mods
« on: July 12, 2009, 11:08:30 am »

Though I've been playing DF for a while I've never really done much in the way with Mods, recently I decided to try one out, however, after downloading several from DFFD I found that my laptop did not recognise the file, leaving me with a download list full of data I can do nothing with, can anyone please help shed some light on the problem or indeed the solution?

Many thanks.
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading of Mods
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 11:11:16 am »

A file from DFFD that you can't use?  Is it a .zip or .rar file?  If so, download WinRAR(its free) to extract the data from them.  Most DF mods are raw files and nothing but.

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:15:57 am »

Though I've been playing DF for a while I've never really done much in the way with Mods, recently I decided to try one out, however, after downloading several from DFFD I found that my laptop did not recognise the file, leaving me with a download list full of data I can do nothing with, can anyone please help shed some light on the problem or indeed the solution?

Many thanks.

Right-click on the file, go to "Properties" and look at its name to see its extension. You can then google what extension it is to find out what program will open it.

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 11:33:51 am »

Thanks for the speedy responses, I had a tinker about with WinRAR and somehow managed to get what I was after, many thanks to you both; I'm unsure about data types and whatnot at the best of times and this time I was quite lost.
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:58:47 pm »

Glad to see it was easily solved. :D