Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Hellchains (Story/Community) - Chapter 3 - The Children of the Damned  (Read 13606 times)

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Hellchains (Story/Community) - Chapter 2 - The Baptism of Fire
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2009, 06:48:25 am »

Moving fast keeps the crazy from catching up.
Right now Skrymir and Nil are the top dwarves up for sheriffdom.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2009, 07:31:29 am »

Hey! You forgot Urist!

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2009, 08:06:16 am »

No, definitely remembered him. By the way, added picture to the beginning of chapter 2.

And about the pictures. Good? Bad? Lrn2draw?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:10:17 am by nahkh »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2009, 09:33:14 am »

Good

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2009, 10:08:42 am »

Nil's primarily goal is to be at the head a of a group of fanatically loyal troops, at large as possible.  He's not interested in rehabilitation, and the revolution lives forever.  If being sheriff brings him closer to that, so be it.  As far as battle goes, he can be very bold in a group, but he's not exactly the type to try and take on enemies by himself.

skrymir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2009, 11:42:17 am »

I guess it depends on who Lokum thinks is less dangerous :P

Skrymir doesn't really think of himself as a criminal and while he isn't fond of nobles he isn't plotting to bring down the system ;)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2009, 12:06:55 pm »

also the art is surprisingly good but you need to update the duty roster on the first post with the current kill counts do it now NOW

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2009, 02:00:10 pm »

My characthers like blackbeard, except dwarven.

oh and i think i would be a good person to be sherrif cause i have the most record with the law.Hehe...
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2009, 02:41:41 pm »

OK, back in front of the computer. A couple of hours to spare before going to bed.

And yes, I know the duty roster needs updating, it's on the top of my to-do list. Just couldn't do that from work since I don't dare play DF there. (I would if I had my own room, but people can look over my shoulder any time)

Spoilery response to someone's question, IN SPOILER TAGS.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, duty roster is updated, and I've added a ranking list.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:33:14 pm by nahkh »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2009, 03:44:45 pm »

Wooh! I'm in the top three!  ;D

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2009, 12:09:05 am »

Stupid forums, crashing on me.

The days following the battle were not easy. At first the dwarves celebrated their victory, but soon the elation changed to anxiety. Where there were orcs there were more. And four had gotten away, too. Surely it wouldn't take long until more would come. At night the cries of the wounded chipped away at their nerves. One of the wounded had had a miscarriage on top of everything else. Lokum worried that it might be too much for her; she was proving to be a valuable fighter. She was one of the few recruits who had a kill to her name.

The burial of the recruit had been solemn, with only a few words said. Skrymir had been dug out a modest burial site, and Skal had prepared some coffins. Led took it to himself to carve an epitaph on the lid of the coffin:

As glad as Skrymir had been about the victory, it had it's downsides. Farkin orcs are heavy, he reflected as he was clearing the battlefield. It had been a few days now and the corpses were starting to decay. Every time he went to the battlefield for more he had to struggle to keep from gagging. It was starting to wear him down.

Today Skal was helping him with the cleaning, as they suddenly heard noise from outside. As they rushed out weapons in hand they saw a new column of prisoners arriving. And boy were there many. Twenty-two new prisoners were milling outside. Skrymir and Skal looked at each other, then grinned momentarily. They walked out, lockstepped, with shouldered weapons.
"At-ten-hut!" Skal commanded. The group complied in slight confusion and fear.
"Welcome to Hellchains. My name is Skal, and I am your worst nightmare. You will not speak, eat, sleep or move a farkin muscle without my say-so. Is that clear?" Some vague ayes followed.
"I can't hear you!" he shouted, and was met with some louder ayes.
"I CAN'T HE-", he began but stopped when Skrymir put touched his shoulder and pointed towards the entance. Lokum was standing there, arms folded. Skal swalled as he and Skrymir walked over.
"I see you're handling the new arrivals", Lokum said.
"Umm, yeah boss", Skal replied.
"Very well. You two are now responsible for this lot. Find em someplace to sleep and start training them. We can't afford idle hands."
"Uhh, yes boss." Farkin hell.
After Lokum had returned inside Skrymir nudged Skal and said: "At least now we don't need to do our own cleaning, am I right?"
Skal's expression brightened up considerably.

As the days wore on the new arrivals eventually settled in. Their training hadn't properly started yet, as there was so much menial work to do around the fort; hauling stone, clearing corpses, smoothing walls. One of the new guys was smoothing the area near the boneyard, all by himself. His name was Led, but since one of the oldbeards was apparently also called Led. He'd been quickly dubbed "Little-Led". He didn't like that name much, but quickly learned to shut up about it. At least he had some time alone, since nobody liked coming here much. He liked working alone. Just him and the stones. Speaking of which, the stone around here seemed really good.
I bet I could find the perfect stones around here, he thought to himself. Perfect, hmm, like this one? And this? Wow, look at how they fit together... Maybe if I cut a groove here...

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2009, 04:43:30 am »

'Butcher' Pete

Convicted of numerous counts of dorficide, desecration of bodies and cannibalism. Exact number of victims not known, as the bodies were disposed of in a butcher shop. Sentenced to 60 Hammerstrikes.

Weapon: Axe or cleaver

Addendum: Ol' Pete don' care whose meat he chops.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2009, 04:44:47 am »

Uh, I'll add that once I get home.

Added. Now if I could just get that song out of my head.

Also, I'll only track the kills of claimed dwarves from now on, ok? It's pretty tedious to check the kills of every dwarf around. That and they might embarrass you guys :P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:31:51 am by nahkh »

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2009, 10:10:09 am »

Updatan tiem

The summer was comparatively uneventful. The dwarves of Hellchains waited, hoping for the human traders to arrive, and dreaded the coming of the orcs. Thankfully, even the monsters in the mountains were quiet, too quiet even. Skal and Skrymir spent their time drilling the new guys into shape, while the others spent time polishing their skills. Sometimes they got a little over-enthusiastic.

They waited in vain. The humans never arrived, and the food supplies were dwindling. The only thing left to drink was homemade dwarven wine, which very few liked. And the only thing left to eat was dried plump helmets, which nobody at all liked. Things nearly went from bad to worse as the newer arrivals protested the lack of food. "No food, no work!" they cried.

The protesters only calmed down when Urist offered to go cook something nice for everybody. Well, they didn't so much calm down as they vanished from sight.

It was only during mid-autumn that the sentries spotted movement in the valley. Finally, a supply shipment had arrived! Lokum strode out to await the inspector.

"... and how many have died?"
"Just one. Obok Shipchances."
"Just the one? But I thought you said you were besieged by orcs?"
"Just the one."
"I... see. You've written him down, yes?"
Lokum tapped the black book, nodding.

"Ey boss-man!" Ignem shouted. Lokum turned to face him, a puzzled expression on his face. "Em caravan guys says the supplies ain't free. Says we gotta pay for em."
"WHAT? Pay them? With what? Rocks?"
"Dunno, boss. But them guards ain't lettin us take any."
Of all the money-grubbing bastards, he thought. "Ok, here's what we do. We sell them some of that orcish gear. It ain't pretty but it's good quality steel. Almost dwarven quality. That ought to buy us some food to last the year."
"Got it, boss."

Fortunately, the orcs had brought plenty of steel equipment. They were able to buy all the food, wood and most of the drinks they had brought. They even had some left over to buy some cloth and leather for new clothing.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2009, 10:25:30 am »

*skal's dragon leather journal*

wow its been a while. since the orc siege some of us are still recovering in the hospital but recently some new prisoners arrived so i decided to greet them and it turns out that i'm now in charge of greeting new prisnors urrg... but at least it means i dont just have to bully urist all the time and it means i dont have to haul anymore stinkin orcs.

just recently some fuker wasnt holding his spear stiff enough so a quick swip at him caused him to falter and drop his weapon causing the tip to peirce my goddam foot! grrrr when i recover that dwarf better watch out for my edge.

end entry
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12