Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I find this rather creepy.  (Read 2780 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I find this rather creepy.
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 08:14:05 pm »

In any case, Christianity as a religion started out at around the middle of the first century, which is roughly around the time at which Jesus presumably started preaching.

Wait, wait, wait.

Jesus started preaching 50 years into AD?  That is, Anno Domini, Latin for "In the Year of (Our) Lord" meaning the era starting with the traditionally reckoned year of the conception or birth of Jesus?

You're telling me that Jesus was born in 0AD, died in 33AD and started preaching in 50AD?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 08:29:45 pm »

In any case, Christianity as a religion started out at around the middle of the first century, which is roughly around the time at which Jesus presumably started preaching.

Wait, wait, wait.

Jesus started preaching 50 years into AD?  That is, Anno Domini, Latin for "In the Year of (Our) Lord" meaning the era starting with the traditionally reckoned year of the conception or birth of Jesus?

You're telling me that Jesus was born in 0AD, died in 33AD and started preaching in 50AD?

Why not, it fits with the inconsistencies in the Bible.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 08:55:27 pm »

Most historians think Jesus was actually born about 6 BC.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 09:41:33 pm »

Jesus would be a good example, except there's severe doubts as to whether he existed at all. Roman court records fail to mention him, which is a pretty severe strike against.

All I'm going to comment on the jesus-talk in this thread is that someone had to start that religion. Name might not necessarily have been Jesus, but there had to have been someone.

Saying Jesus never existed is a bit like saying nobody invented the plough.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:44:30 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 09:52:48 pm »

Jesus would be a good example, except there's severe doubts as to whether he existed at all. Roman court records fail to mention him, which is a pretty severe strike against.

All I'm going to comment on the jesus-talk in this thread is that someone had to start that religion. Name might not necessarily have been Jesus, but there had to have been someone.

I agree largely with that statement, however, I believe it's far more likely to have been a group of individuals who were perhaps unhappy with the traditional Jewish faith and thus, created their own.  Whether or not there was a Jesus in irrelevant because religion is based on faith, which by definition means accepting that which cannot be understood.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 03:47:36 am »

Wait, wait, wait.

AROUND the mid-first century. There were large-scale persecutions of Christians by 64 AD, and considering the speeds of travel and communication at the time, the religion must have had at least a few decades to grow enough to be a substantial minority.

On-topic, this is either a bug, a design oversight, or a feature.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 07:05:17 am »

Jesus did exist

Don't forget how people like to make shit up when telling stories.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 08:04:19 am »

At this rate, this thread is going to turn into a religious flamewar.

Anyway, it would be nice if heroes with enough kills would gain mythical status and become worshiped after their death.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 10:45:41 am »

I find it at least sorta odd that 40 years later after his death, someone from a different civ decides to worship him.

I worship Louis Armstrong and most people from the 30's-50's....
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 10:48:45 am »

Do you burn incense to him and go around claiming your spaghetti transsubstantiates into his demon's entrails when eaten?

Still. These are elves.  ::)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 11:16:04 am »

The elf may even have decided that, because it's dead, it's a safe demon to worship. ^_^

Sort of reminds me of the end of "Mort"
I may be about to risk my whole PTerry Fandom unofficial membership, here, but I'm unsure to what part of the end (or near-end) of Mort you're talking about.

At least nothing more appropriate to the above than the Quezovercoatl part of Eric, which even then isn't quite so, since that led to Luggage-workship and then atheism.  (Or as close to atheism as you can get there, where only Dorfl and 'his' kind are really able to ignore the resulting lightning strikes with impunity. :))

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 11:38:16 am »

The elf may even have decided that, because it's dead, it's a safe demon to worship. ^_^

Sort of reminds me of the end of "Mort"
I may be about to risk my whole PTerry Fandom unofficial membership, here, but I'm unsure to what part of the end (or near-end) of Mort you're talking about.

At least nothing more appropriate to the above than the Quezovercoatl part of Eric, which even then isn't quite so, since that led to Luggage-workship and then atheism.  (Or as close to atheism as you can get there, where only Dorfl and 'his' kind are really able to ignore the resulting lightning strikes with impunity. :))
I second the question about the relevance to 'Mort'. I just got done reading it a week ago (short book, but hilarious), and cannot find anything other than the statement matching Terry Pratchett's style.
I would like to encourage more discworld talk and influence in DF and the forums.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 11:54:32 am »

I second the question about the relevance to 'Mort'

When Death's janitor (cant remember his name), the guy who was formerly a powerful wizard, reappears  in the place they placed a statue of his, and when he is taken back into Death's domain, they decide to put up an "uber-luxurious" statue of him again, and maintain it clean and shiny.

Yeah, that´s pretty much my take. I think the point is more the lack of historicity of the gospels than asserting that there was no jewish carpenter called Jesus in Jerusalem in the first three to four decades of the first century.

Nitpick: there was no such year as 0AD. The first year of the first century is 1AD.

Jesus did exist

Don't forget how people like to make shit up when telling stories.
I cant load the video because I am on a very poor connection, but, I have to ask: what sources does it use to ascertain Jesus's historicity?

And on a different line, the very moment I saw this phrase in print:
, I had no doubts that this had a pretty good chance to degenerate into a religious flamewar.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:56:33 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 11:54:45 am »

(Or as close to atheism as you can get there, where only Dorfl and 'his' kind are really able to ignore the resulting lightning strikes with impunity. :))

I love Discworld athiests athiesm gods...

I love Discworld.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 11:57:47 am »

I think Dorfl was able to ignore the lightning strikes because he was a golem, not because he was protected by his disbelief...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 [2] 3