Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Freezing biome - do ponds ever thaw?  (Read 1448 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freezing biome - do ponds ever thaw?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 12:22:47 am »

Freezing biomes have ice pretty much all year round. There may be a very, very brief thaw, but probably not.

In my case, the freezing shrubland with the frozen ponds thawed enough in mid-summer for the snow covering to partially melt.
So instead of snow covered frozen ponds, I got ... frozen ponds, with no snow in place. How very useful.

I'll have to get magma to the ponds then. Magma from the other side of the map. With a chasm in-between. Yup, that dwarf is a goner. He won't last that long. Oh well, I still have 6 ...

Don't be so pessimistic.  There is no reason that dwarf needs to die for you to successfully carry out this process.  Normally, chasms don't extend to the surface.  Pump the magma up there and drop it a z-level down so it can be under the ponds after you cross over the chasm.  Watch for pressure(magma pressurizes only if it's pumped).  Also note that pumping/channeling magma that far is difficult at best.  If you can't find a better option, though, do it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 02:18:45 pm »

How injured is the dwarf?

Can he still move around?

If he just has a yellow wound, remove all beds. If there are no beds he will not rest, and he'll go feed himself and drink his own booze.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 02:46:15 pm »

Yeah, don't give up on 14% of your starting population!

Have you tried all the suggestions? Might be worth save-scumming to try the diff approaches, since several are either unproven or complex (or both.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 10:39:23 pm »

How injured is the dwarf?

Can he still move around?

If he just has a yellow wound, remove all beds. If there are no beds he will not rest, and he'll go feed himself and drink his own booze.

Yeah just do this, the dwarves won't get all that upset about sleeping in the dirt so long as they're well-fed and have a nice dining hall. He will drink booze and keep working.
Pages: 1 [2]