Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 3235 times)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 02:11:27 am »

[for extra points, channel behind the targets to create a bolt collection pit]

If I've accidentally managed to get an Elite Wrestler from an intended Marksdwarf...

... Wait, what?  Are you saying Elites and Champions won't change weapons?  If so, I believe you're misinformed!  I've trained a single Dwarf to legendary in three weapons in one of my forts, just for the extra attribute increases - since the terms max out but the attributes do not, that is.  I was planning on making all of my soldiers ridiculously good with all weapons, but then I lost the fort to ... something.  A move, a version change, I don't remember.

One thing I've never seriously messed with is setting dwarfs (of any weapon spec) to have more than one weapon.  While I suspect that this doesn't help with crossbows (witht he possible exception of more rapid firing possible, with associated depletion of ammo) dual-wielding the non-ranged weaponry sounds interesting.  If possible, mixed wielding doubly so (hammer and axe, anyone? :) ).

Are you talking about the future, or the current set-up?  Currently, setting Dwarves for #2 weapons only means they'll carry (not "use," just "Carry") a spare of the same weapon they have.  This is useful for spears and swords, as their piercing thrusts can sometimes leave them stuck in an enemy.
So ... as far as I know, nobody's dealt with dual-wielding anything yet.  I think Toady has that planned (or already figured out?) for the next version.  I, too, look forward to axe-hammer and dual-hammer Dwarves.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 04:42:09 am »

If I've accidentally managed to get an Elite Wrestler from an intended Marksdwarf...

... Wait, what?  Are you saying Elites and Champions won't change weapons?  If so, I believe you're misinformed!
No, just that (and I could be wrong, I play DF at home and I casually browse the forums here at work, and never the twain shall meet, or else I'd never get any work done!) when an Elite warrior (and thus also Champion) the Profile screen doesn't allow interaction via the (S)oldiering And Hunting screen, because of the "Doesn't need to work" (or some similar) announcement is emblazoned at the character view 'tab' where that would normally sit.  But, I was actually saying how you can still use the (M)ilitary control screen to switch things, even if this happens.  (And if it actually doesn't, you can do it both ways!)

(Me mubling about dual-weapon options)
Are you talking about the future, or the current set-up?
I was noting that I really wasn't too sure about what the option meant.  I'd seen it was there, but had never played around with it (knowingly).  But now I know, thanks to your explanation.  But, if there's any future gameplay option for actual dual-wielding, that'd be cool too. ;)

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 05:33:40 am »

On Weapon-Switching:
Aha, see, I just used the "military" tab of Dwarf Manager to make my switches, so I admit I simply didn't comprehend what you were talking about.

On Dual-Wielding:
In the "recent developments" page at Bay12, Toady has said that he's finished the dual-wielding coding (or, at least, that it should work once the version is implemented).  I did not notice if dual-wielding different weapons were an option.
I hope it is.   :D
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 03:09:28 pm »

On Dual-Wielding:
In the "recent developments" page at Bay12, Toady has said that he's finished the dual-wielding coding (or, at least, that it should work once the version is implemented).  I did not notice if dual-wielding different weapons were an option.
I hope it is.   :D

DF has little in common with role playing tropes.   "Dual wielding" is a player phrase, not an in-game one - carrying two weapons is to provide a back-up if the first gets stuck in an enemy.  Dwarves are not supposed to use two weapons at once.  (When a dwarf is observed to be holding a weapon in each hand, it's unclear what's going on in the combat mechanics, wishful thinking notwithstanding.)

Toady has stated that, currently, dual wielding and weapon size are broken.  So it can only get better.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 08:00:35 am »

'Hammerhand' has been happy lately.  He has talked about Dwarf Fortress lately.  He has played Dwarf Fortress lately.  He has learned something new recently.  He has lost sleep lately.  He has been disappointed by the truth of the code lately.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Zankaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2009, 11:53:26 pm »

What the heck went wrong!? I needed that ale/beer, my dwarves are getting tired of all this elfy swill I got a bunch of.

Also, how do I make dwarven ale/rum/beer? All I can make at the moment is wine.

"Hesitation leads to disaster" - Kishimoto
"Courage imperils life, fear protects it" - da'vinci
"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu
"In death all things appear fair" - Homer
At one of my older forts, I had a cat with a kobold kill to it's name, I locked a kobold into a small pit and then kept tossing cats in till it died.....For Science!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2009, 12:17:10 am »

Well, the profit wasn't very high.  Traders want a LOT of profit, though that may or may not have been the issue.

As for how to make various types of booze, see this page: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Alcohol

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2009, 12:22:19 am »

Yah sometimes you have to give a ridiculous amount of profit.  One time the trader wouldn't accept my deal even with a 3000 profit; he kept demanding items that would set him well up into 5000 and I wasn't happy with that.

Normally 600 is good enough for a trade, but some merchants are just asses.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Zankaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 01:02:54 am »

Alright thanks.

Well how about making a moat? I made a 3tile thick wall with a 5tile wide / 3tile tall gate that I channeled completely and put a retractable bridge over, so it is only way into my fortress.

Was trying to make it so I could retract bridge incase of an attack and let my archers shoot from walls. I heard that I need 7/7 water for anyone to drown in the moat so tried channeling one level below the bridge, then another down that. After that was finished I found out that to remove the stairs my dwarves had to be on the same level as the stairs. (Didnt work very well, ended up drowning my first Legendary Miner/Mason) Does anyone know an easy way to make a moat without leaving any stairs behind intact. Dont want the enemys to just climb out after falling in.

Got a squad of 3 crossbowmen and have them training with wood bolts with a bunch of iron arrows for combat, but was wondering how they know when to use which bolt? So far havent had the chance to shoot at anything because by the time those bloody little kobolds appear they are already running out the door and I dont keep my guys on duty. (Got backpacks/waterskins and assigned 2 rations/water but scared of them starving or something)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 01:13:27 am by Zankaru »
At one of my older forts, I had a cat with a kobold kill to it's name, I locked a kobold into a small pit and then kept tossing cats in till it died.....For Science!

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 02:34:40 am »

Your walls do NOT need to be thick.  Not much can actually destroy a wall, so a one-thick wall is as good as a three-thick one.

You can't normally remove up or up/down stairs that are below the only access point to them, as even if every tile around the stairs is inaccessible, the dwarf will stand on the bottom of the stairs while removing it, trapping himself when it's removed.  If you dug out the stairs (using d->j etc.) then you can build a floor (b->C->f) on top of the stairs, and things won't be able to get out.

If you constructed (with b->C->d etc.) the stairs, then it's a bit more difficult, as the dwarf will try to go BELOW the stairs to remove them, still trapping himself.  First build a floor hatch on top of the stairs, then lock it (q, move over it, l) so that dwarves cannot pass through it.  Then designate the stair it's built on for deconstruction (d->n).  A dwarf will come over and deconstruct it WITHOUT going under it (assuming there's no other route under there, as if there were, worrying about a dwarf getting stuck down there would be pointless) and leave the material from the deconstructed stair on top of the hatch.  If you want to recover this material, then construct something else with it nearby, or designate it for dumping somewhere.  Then remove the hatch.  If the material is still on the hatch, it will fall down.  Then construct a floor (b->C->f) on top of the hole, though this step is somewhat optional, as lacking the stair at the top will prevent enemies from pathing up and out.  It's still probably a good idea.  (I told you this way was more difficult.)

They'll only use wood and bone bolts for practice, but when it's time for actually fighting, they'll use whatever is available...  including their practice bolts.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2009, 01:16:29 pm »

Zank - if you're happy waiting for partial responses, you go, otherwise take a look at the wiki on these topics. "ale", "moat" - all would have given you 99% of your answers immediately.

Zankaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 02:17:07 pm »

Your walls do NOT need to be thick.  Not much can actually destroy a wall, so a one-thick wall is as good as a three-thick one.

You can't normally remove up or up/down stairs that are below the only access point to them, as even if every tile around the stairs is inaccessible, the dwarf will stand on the bottom of the stairs while removing it, trapping himself when it's removed.  If you dug out the stairs (using d->j etc.) then you can build a floor (b->C->f) on top of the stairs, and things won't be able to get out.

If you constructed (with b->C->d etc.) the stairs, then it's a bit more difficult, as the dwarf will try to go BELOW the stairs to remove them, still trapping himself.  First build a floor hatch on top of the stairs, then lock it (q, move over it, l) so that dwarves cannot pass through it.  Then designate the stair it's built on for deconstruction (d->n).  A dwarf will come over and deconstruct it WITHOUT going under it (assuming there's no other route under there, as if there were, worrying about a dwarf getting stuck down there would be pointless) and leave the material from the deconstructed stair on top of the hatch.  If you want to recover this material, then construct something else with it nearby, or designate it for dumping somewhere.  Then remove the hatch.  If the material is still on the hatch, it will fall down.  Then construct a floor (b->C->f) on top of the hole, though this step is somewhat optional, as lacking the stair at the top will prevent enemies from pathing up and out.  It's still probably a good idea.  (I told you this way was more difficult.)

They'll only use wood and bone bolts for practice, but when it's time for actually fighting, they'll use whatever is available...  including their practice bolts.

-Thanks, that helped. =)
-Was making it 3 tiles wide so I could put catapults and stuff on top, not really familiar about em but I saw them mentioned in the labor list.
-well crap, guess I can forbid the practice bolts or something.

-only post on here if I have a question I cant find on the wiki, im new to wiki's and such so easier to just ask here than browse for hours.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2009, 02:26:20 pm »

"Hours"?  :-\

Not much can actually destroy a wall

Nothing except the actions of your own dwarves.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2009, 02:50:50 pm »

What the hell? My traders go away happy with 32 dwarfpounds in profit!

the dual wielding thing is cool. I'd like to see Urist Schwarzenegger with his '9 millimeter  uzi crossbow".

P.S. does anyone know where the firing rates for balistae are? I wanted to do a version of the orc mod where thousands of orcs would siege my fortress and I could gun them down with super-fast-firing ballistae (Normandy style)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2009, 02:55:00 pm »

Hardcoded, I believe, not (easily) accessible.  Technical questions like that might get more detailed answers in the "modding" sub-forum.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4