Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 3232 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 12:39:45 pm »

Nope, all other crafts (idols, crowns, amulets, toys, etc) are made one at a time.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 12:42:09 pm »

or so I've herd.

Where have you herd this?  It was black lies - it should be certainly corrected (if not summarily punished).

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 01:46:53 pm »

or so I've herd.

Where have you herd this?  It was black lies - it should be certainly corrected (if not summarily punished).

From a very long term player. At this moment I'm not too concerned with the craft thing however, I've got insane amounts of merchandise, enough to buy out quite a few kingdoms...

I'm pretty sure crafts are 3x, actually, it says that in the wiki, and when I made platinum crafts, I got a ring, an amulet, and something else.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 01:50:42 pm »

Btw, biggest question is still how to train my military, I'm quite lost with that >.>.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 02:48:29 pm »

Actually, the job platnium crafts just tells the dwarf to make various crafts out of this particular material. Same goes for making rock crafts, you can't specify whether to make only amulets or idols or scepters.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 03:01:50 pm »

Actually, the job platnium crafts just tells the dwarf to make various crafts out of this particular material. Same goes for making rock crafts, you can't specify whether to make only amulets or idols or scepters.

Emm hmm, I know that. I was saying that it made three things.

Yay! I'm feeling quite victorious. I managed to finish my fortification before a human siege, working out the flood gate entrance, ect... The siege has no way of entrance into my fort, but, did however manage to get one of there own killed on a stone trap right outside the flood gate area :p. I've got the place rigged with traps, and plenty of food, so, for now, I think I'll just wait. Lucky for me this is the first siege that didn't involve massive casualties on my side; and they're humans none the less! Can't wait to loot their corpses :o.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:18:37 pm by zarmazarma »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 03:16:49 pm »

Out of the blue one of my dwarves got possessed, it was my weaponsmith, and he claim a metal smithing place. I knew he wouldn't become legendary, but I was still excited to see what he made. It turns out he created an artifact electrum sword. We all know that eventually a fortress will fall, so, when I do finally scrap this one, I was wondering if an artifact electrum weapon actually had potential to be strong. Were would you rate it on the damage scale? Is it like wood, silver, iron, copper, steel, ect.

Alright, I got my questions answered, but, I have more. I won't make a new thread, I'll just post them here. Please answer them if you can.

1. My dwarves are mindless noodles bags. I have come to accept this. But it doesn't help when my military is off picking their toes when they're on duty, a position has been specified to patrol, they have weapons, and I'm being pillaged by a goblin ambush. I know for a fact my military dwarves could very, very, very easily despose of a horde of goblins, but they just don't listen.

2. Walls almost never get built... Even when I have a mason free, with architecture built, and the wall is not suspended, it has been blinking there for hours now. They're probably just busy, but it's overall debilitating...

3. Toys or crafts? I normally make toys. Lots and lots of a toys. I've got a +5 legendary (I'm pretty sure.) stone crafter pumping out these master peiceses, and, although I have like 50k in merchandise, I think it's better to make the more valuable thing.

4. I've got seeds and stuff scattered about my stockpiles, they're very annoying. I'm not really sure how I get them into barrels...

1. Check that there's a path, and check to see what the leader is doing. Were the dwarves in other squads before you created the new squad? If so, there's a bug where they tend to follow their old squad's orders even if the squad no longer exists. Try removing all the dwarves from the squad (go to the 'm'ilitary screen and hit enter+enter+space over each dwarf) then recreating the squad and sending them out.

2. I usually set it up so all my hauler dwarves have the masonry labor enabled but only my furniture makers are allowed to use the workshops ('q'uery the workshop, set it's workshop 'P'rofile and hit enter over the dwarves you want to use it, their names will turn green and all the others will go red). Since walls value is only influenced by the materials they were made out of, a peasant will make the same quality wall that a legendary mason will. This lets you build everything from megaconstructions to palisade walls much faster.

3. Here's the deal on mugs, as far as I know. Crafts, toys, and instruments all have a chance, based on the dwarf's skill, to create three objects. Mugs always do. Thus, most players only make mugs, as they will create more wealth 100% of the time. However, you'll churn out enough stone toys and crafts to buy pretty much anything anyways, make what you want.

4. You can make bags out of cloth at a clothier's workship (b->w->k) or out of leather at a leather worker's shop (b->w->e). Cloth is usually preferred, since leather can make armor and cloth is easier to come by, especially early in the fortress, but both can work.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 06:09:17 pm »

From a very long term player. At this moment I'm not too concerned with the craft thing however...

I'm not concerned with the craft thing either, I'm concerned with accuracy, especially for the brand new player reading this today or next month.

And so I took the trouble to double check, and to run a very simple, very quick test, something neither your nor your "very long term player" seemed to have bothered with.

And it turns out... we're all wrong.

I'm pretty sure crafts are 3x, actually, it says that in the wiki

No, it does not.  The wiki is correct, and it clearly says no such thing.  You should read it again, more closely, and not just listen to what you have "herd".

It seems that crafts* appear singly, or in pairs or in threes - and that is influenced in part by the skill of the crafter, and part by chance.  So if you have a no-skill crafter, you're more likely to get singles, but a legendary will always(?) produce 3's.

("crafts" specifically, not "instruments" nor "toys")

Mugs and mug-like objects (flasks, goblets, etc) are always made in threes. 

I'm pretty sure crafts are 3x, actually, it says that in the wiki, and when I made platinum crafts, I got a ring, an amulet, and something else.

Which is why one example of something does not "prove" anything, and should never be presented as "How DF Works".  DF is quite often more random and unexpected than it at first appears, and this is one small example.   ;)

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 06:56:23 pm »

From a very long term player. At this moment I'm not too concerned with the craft thing however...

I'm not concerned with the craft thing either, I'm concerned with accuracy, especially for the brand new player reading this today or next month.

And so I took the trouble to double check, and to run a very simple, very quick test, something neither your nor your "very long term player" seemed to have bothered with.

And it turns out... we're all wrong.

I'm pretty sure crafts are 3x, actually, it says that in the wiki

No, it does not.  The wiki is correct, and it clearly says no such thing.  You should read it again, more closely, and not just listen to what you have "herd".

It seems that crafts* appear singly, or in pairs or in threes - and that is influenced in part by the skill of the crafter, and part by chance.  So if you have a no-skill crafter, you're more likely to get singles, but a legendary will always(?) produce 3's.

("crafts" specifically, not "instruments" nor "toys")

Mugs and mug-like objects (flasks, goblets, etc) are always made in threes. 

Which is why one example of something does not "prove" anything, and should never be presented as "How DF Works".  DF is quite often more random and unexpected than it at first appears, and this is one small example.   ;)

... You've gone from the realm of being helpful to egotistical and crude comments, claiming that I hadn't run test was a stupid misinterpretation on your part, especially sense you quoted a "test" I ran in my comment. I'm not even going to question how uptight you are, but I never tried to prove that it was 3x for toys, I was questioned who I herd it from, and I answered. Don't all the sudden act like you're more intelligent than anyone else because you've managed to thoroughly stumble over the meaning of things.

"You cannot specify what a craftsdwarf will make, but one resource can produce up to three different items. The chance of multiple crafts being produced from one resource is increased with the craftsdwarf's skill. Some items such as mugs will always be made in threes, so they are more productive in terms of value than other crafts."

So yes, it does say that they can be crafted in threes. I'm not sure why you had to go so far as to say it says no such thing, unless you were trying to impose that I was completely wrong.

On a side note, the way you put "herd" in quotations is confusing. Are you speculating that I did not actually hear it, and are instead claiming it to cover up a misjudgment? Whatever.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 11:46:16 pm »

The wiki said that the number of crafts produced can go UP TO three.  This is not the same as always producing three.

As for why he is putting "herd" in quotes, he is mocking your spelling.  The word is "heard".

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 11:55:46 pm »

The wiki said that the number of crafts produced can go UP TO three.  This is not the same as always producing three.

As for why he is putting "herd" in quotes, he is mocking your spelling.  The word is "heard".

Emm k. I still stand by the fact that the word "does" refers to that it can and will if a condition is met, but alright.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 08:24:13 am »

The problem I have with mugs is that they take an extra step to trade (since they can't be found under any category, and must be manually searched for), and I am lazy.  In fact, I usually forget all about mugs.  If they're always made in threes, though, they are the most profitable option by far.

Profit aside, though, it messes with my head to think that the entirety my civ will make no trade goods except mugs, trading them back and forth instead of using coins.  It's a little more entertaining to me to see all those scepters and trumpets and bracelets and earrings and assorted other crap that doesn't do anything but take up space and become created wealth.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 09:57:22 am »

Question: Best way to train cross bow dwarves?

opinions differ on what skills to level up first (some say wrestling-hammerdwarf-crossbow; others go straight for crossbow), but on the actual mechanics of training them:

-build a space with archery targets. make sure you designate a room from each archery target, and make sure you have checked to put in the correct direction of fire (ie, if targets are at the 'top' of the room, mark it in as 'fire from bottom to top'). [for extra points, channel behind the targets to create a bolt collection pit]

-make leather quivers for however many crossbowdwarfs you want. 1 quiver per xbowdorf.

-make wood or bone bolts.

-make sure you have crossbows for the crossbowdwarfs. 1 crossbow per xboxdorf.

-draft a squad, set their weapon to crossbow and their status to 'off duty'. they should go and pick up crossbow, quiver and wood/bone bolts, and go and fire them at the archery targets you designated as an archery range.

what have i forgotten? i think that's all...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 10:59:57 am »

[for extra points, channel behind the targets to create a bolt collection pit]

My preference is to designate a series of parallel diggings for the archery 'room', seperated, flanked and 'capped' by channelling.  I don't know if this helps catch more 'wayward' bolts (though occasionally they seem to go wayward onto an adjacent target and become junked at the base of those!) but it does look good (very much a firing range), makes a  decent use of space and can be easily made on-mass or expanded sideways as requried.

I generally put the guys towards wrestling, first off, then may give them hammers (silver ones are my choice for practice) if I'm not totally convinced I can keep them away from the action, then put them to crossbowing when I'm happy they'll 'do'.  (Although if I've given them enough armour options, a trick of the item handling code means they'll practice their hammerdwarfing with the crossbow assignments, it seems, until I juggle their equipment a bit.)

If I've accidentally managed to get an Elite Wrestler from an intended Marksdwarf, before I switch the weapons, I find that I can change weapons on the (M)ilitary screen even though I can't seem to via the (P)rofile (S)oldiering one.  (Not yet accidentally gotten myself a Hero of that kind, that I want to switch, so not sure whether this .)  Sometimes a hammering proto-marksdwarf gets upped from Wrestler to Elite Wrestler and seems (haven't managed to confirm this, and it could be my own mismanagement) to convert to Unarmed, but can still be switched back to Crossbow on the (M)ilitary screen.  But that's essentially a big clue (if I haven't already noticed via the (U)nits screen) that they're still sparring, not firing at the range.

One thing I've never seriously messed with is setting dwarfs (of any weapon spec) to have more than one weapon.  While I suspect that this doesn't help with crossbows (witht he possible exception of more rapid firing possible, with associated depletion of ammo) dual-wielding the non-ranged weaponry sounds interesting.  If possible, mixed wielding doubly so (hammer and axe, anyone? :)).

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 01:37:10 pm »

especially sense you quoted a "test" I ran in my comment.

Exactly. One sample is not a test. (Not one anyone should feel is reliable.)  If you had actually tested it (or read the wiki correctly), you would not have supported and defended an inaccurate statement.

I often aim my posts to all readers, not just the OP - I'm confident they found a final accurate statement more helpful than the mysterious "very long term" player's gross misinformation.   Or you misreading and mis-citing the wiki as support for your confusion.

How stating that "we're all wrong" could appear egotistical is beyond me.  But your patterns don't show much in the way of reading for content or detail, it seems to me, so I'm out.

You were the one to use the word "stupid".

(And it's "since".  The word is spelled "since".  Know madder watt ewe herd id sowned lake.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4