Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 3230 times)

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions
« on: July 11, 2009, 11:44:48 pm »

Out of the blue one of my dwarves got possessed, it was my weaponsmith, and he claim a metal smithing place. I knew he wouldn't become legendary, but I was still excited to see what he made. It turns out he created an artifact electrum sword. We all know that eventually a fortress will fall, so, when I do finally scrap this one, I was wondering if an artifact electrum weapon actually had potential to be strong. Were would you rate it on the damage scale? Is it like wood, silver, iron, copper, steel, ect.

Alright, I got my questions answered, but, I have more. I won't make a new thread, I'll just post them here. Please answer them if you can.

1. My dwarves are mindless noodles bags. I have come to accept this. But it doesn't help when my military is off picking their toes when they're on duty, a position has been specified to patrol, they have weapons, and I'm being pillaged by a goblin ambush. I know for a fact my military dwarves could very, very, very easily despose of a horde of goblins, but they just don't listen.

2. Walls almost never get built... Even when I have a mason free, with architecture built, and the wall is not suspended, it has been blinking there for hours now. They're probably just busy, but it's overall debilitating...

3. Toys or crafts? I normally make toys. Lots and lots of a toys. I've got a +5 legendary (I'm pretty sure.) stone crafter pumping out these master peiceses, and, although I have like 50k in merchandise, I think it's better to make the more valuable thing.

4. I've got seeds and stuff scattered about my stockpiles, they're very annoying. I'm not really sure how I get them into barrels...

Thanks for the help :D.

Question: Best way to train cross bow dwarves?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:19:55 pm by zarmazarma »

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: An electrum weapon
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:51:56 pm »

you can't erally rate the damage of a weapon made from non-standard materials, but i'd put it up around steel, due to its craftsmanship of the "Highest" quality
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:57:21 pm »

AFAIK the damage modifier for artifacts is still unknown.

It's almost certainly at least as strong as a basic (no modifier) iron weapon (electrum is half damage, masterwork is double damage so those cancel out), though. So if you want to use it just for style points it will be at least decent if nothing else.

Note that stats and skill tend to matter much, much more then item quality as well - if you are a legendary axe dwarf who is superdwarvenly tough it really does not matter what axe you use.

Kalida99 - yes you can rate the damage of non-standard material weapons. It's 50% of iron no matter the material.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 12:04:48 am »

Thanks for telling me!

And now i know! And knowing is half the battle!
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:31:25 am »

Heh. Thanks for the quick response. Meh, I guess I won't be using it in combat... But let me tell you, my weapon value went from like 300 to 63000 after I made it XD.

Hey, another question, I'm not allowed to sell legendary stuff to the trader, or even see it's value in the menu. It doesn't pop up in the "Take item to depot" list. Any reason for that?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 12:34:54 am »

destruction or removal of the item causes the dwarf who made it go crazy, whether beserk, insane, or melancholy. so you shouldn't sell it for the sake of your new weaponsmith... not that you could either way
— Commander Fleyitch

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 12:36:45 am »

destruction or removal of the item causes the dwarf who made it go crazy, whether beserk, insane, or melancholy. so you shouldn't sell it for the sake of your new weaponsmith... not that you could either way

Ah, thanks for that.

Instead of making a new thread, I'll just post my other questions on my first post.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 01:59:38 am »

Bump*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 02:38:51 am »

It's only been an hour before you did the bump, really no need to do that.

Anyways, I've found that you can sell artifacts when you do a reclaim. Not sure if that is actually intentional, but for all purposes, you can't sell them while the owner is still alive at least. Not that you'd really want to sell those artifact furniture and weapons anyways.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:29:33 am »

1. My dwarves are mindless noodles bags. I have come to accept this. But it doesn't help when my military is off picking their toes when they're on duty, a position has been specified to patrol, they have weapons, and I'm being pillaged by a goblin ambush. I know for a fact my military dwarves could very, very, very easily despose of a horde of goblins, but they just don't listen.

2. Walls almost never get built... Even when I have a mason free, with architecture built, and the wall is not suspended, it has been blinking there for hours now. They're probably just busy, but it's overall debilitating...

3. Toys or crafts? I normally make toys. Lots and lots of a toys. I've got a +5 legendary (I'm pretty sure.) stone crafter pumping out these master peiceses, and, although I have like 50k in merchandise, I think it's better to make the more valuable thing.

4. I've got seeds and stuff scattered about my stockpiles, they're very annoying. I'm not really sure how I get them into barrels...

1.)  Where are they lounging about?  Dwarf squads follow their captain everywhere - even when he runs off to get a drink or something to eat or go to sleep.  Also, make sure "Chase Opponents" is turned on for them.

2.)  I have no idea what to tell you there.  Sometimes walls take a while.  Masons might be kind of picky, or maybe there's no clear path.  I've found Dwarves dislike using ramps sometimes (or maybe I just build them wrong), so if the only way to your wall is via ramp, maybe that's the problem?

3.) ... Both?  They both eat up stone, merchants will take either and having various merchandise will make it more likely that you have the stuff they'll pay more for.  Make crafts and instruments while you're at it.

4.)  Make bags.  Seeds go in bags, bags go in barrels.  Food Haulers proceed to clean house, and suddenly you have food stockpile space again.  I've never needed more than a 3x3 seed stockpile next to my farms.  I also haven't seen it full yet.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 10:22:55 am »

4.)  Make bags.  Seeds go in bags, bags go in barrels.  Food Haulers proceed to clean house, and suddenly you have food stockpile space again.  I've never needed more than a 3x3 seed stockpile next to my farms.  I also haven't seen it full yet.

Since the maximum seed spawn is 200 seeds (not sure if you can go past that number by buying from merchants), there is going to be a limited number of barrels used. Plus you can pack a hell of alot of seeds in barrels. I think I've seen only three barrels used for seeds when I have over 1,000 of them

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 12:25:19 pm »

1.)  Where are they lounging about?  Dwarf squads follow their captain everywhere - even when he runs off to get a drink or something to eat or go to sleep.  Also, make sure "Chase Opponents" is turned on for them.

2.)  I have no idea what to tell you there.  Sometimes walls take a while.  Masons might be kind of picky, or maybe there's no clear path.  I've found Dwarves dislike using ramps sometimes (or maybe I just build them wrong), so if the only way to your wall is via ramp, maybe that's the problem?

3.) ... Both?  They both eat up stone, merchants will take either and having various merchandise will make it more likely that you have the stuff they'll pay more for.  Make crafts and instruments while you're at it.

Alright... Do bags get made at a weaver I guess? I turned off my masons "R" task, and they started making the walls, problem solved there. Soldiers listen for the most part at the moment, but, I think my biggest problem is that they're always massacred. Every ambush needs a revamp in soldiers, not to mention sieges... These ALWAYS occur when I trader comes to me too =\. Is there a special way to train my soldiers?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 12:27:32 pm »

They get made at a clothier, weaving is the skill done at the loom.

Also, you can make bags out of leather as well.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 12:28:00 pm »

The material modifier for any material other than copper, bronze, iron, steel or adamantine is 50%.  But the damage modifier for artificacts weapons ~seems~ to be "Die Now%", give or take a couple %.  So while it's not known, and can't be proved, it's believed that any artifact weapon is going to do just fine at what it's designed to do.  (But so do adamantine weapons - hard to see a diff in the pink mist.)

a position has been specified to patrol, they have weapons

Don't send them to patrol, send them to a entry spot near the gobbos.  In the <m>ilitary screen, <v>iew the squad, and make sure they're set to "chase dangerous foes" (or words to that effect).  Once they're close enough, they'll engage.

>
2. Walls almost never get built... Even when I have a mason free, with architecture built

Huh?  Walls don't need architecture. If they're flashing, they're over another map feature, that's all. If you have a dwarf with the "mason" labour enabled, and no other labours distracting them atm, and access to both the wall and the stone, they should do the job.  Sounds like maybe you have a dwarf whose "Profession" is mason, but doesn't have the "mason" labour enabled, maybe?  Or, if they're "busy", too many other labours - my masons are just masons, not haulers or anything else (at the time), to get that job done now.

3. Toys or crafts?

Neither.  Mugs.  Three for one, by far the best bet.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 12:38:27 pm »

Yes, but aren't crafts also 3 for one? I'm pretty sure toys are as well, as a matter of fact, or so I've herd.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4