Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Other creatures living in your fort (of minor sentience)  (Read 1718 times)

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Other creatures living in your fort (of minor sentience)
« on: July 11, 2009, 10:20:00 pm »

We know there has been much talk of having more than one type of race living in your

forts. Friendly humans moving in, hiring gobo mercenaries, etc. What I'm thinking is what

about all those smaller fantasy creatures that kind of sit around picking there noses as

you build your fort? Creatures like Gnomes, Pixies, (non fire) Imps and so on. The ones

that are above animal yet below mass developed civilization?

So you plop down your dwarves in an area full of Pixies, enthralled by these curious hairy

giants the pixies start interacting with your dwarves, first just entertaining the dwarves

like any animal, but eventually learning the language, having interesting conversations,

and possibly befreinding, or annoying the dwarves depending on the pixie's and dwarves

personalities. If say a Pixie befreinds a dwarf, they might go out of there way to get

food or drink for the dwarf, entertain them through conversation and deeds, or maybe

even make or bring them gifts. The pixies could even move in and start making nests and

homes on things like statues or tower cap gardens if you have them. If the pixie forms a

grudge against a dwarf they might do more "sinister" acts like mess up there room, trip

them up, or cut the dwarve's beard while they sleep. They might even follow tendancies

of their favorite dwarf, let's say one befreinds a hunter, so it decides to fashion itself a

little finger bone spear and wear a mouse skull mask to look menacing, and fetch loose

arrows that the dwarf has shot off, or try to be helpful be putting stuff away (though it

might not end up in the correct bin: socks in the food bins for example) etc, etc, etc.

Now i've been dealing with pixies because they are the more curious of these kind of

creatures, but there are other types of creatures and I always picture creatures like the

Dwarf Fortress Gnomes to be more thrall like, they would go around doing menial labor

like porting boxes, not cause they're told too, they would do it because they see the

dwarves doing it. So they would tend to do menial labor that you've already instructed

your dwarves to do.

Or let's say your dwarf was trying to forge a sword. The gnome would see that the

dwarf would need those objects and fetch them, the dwarf however could be oblivious

to the presence of the gnome the whole time, thinking to himself that the things he

needed were there at arms reach all along. Try to think absent minded wizard and it's

lackey that he totally forgot about, or for those of you who know about Fantasy

Warhammer think Ogre Kingdom's Gnoblar forces, they feel important when they help the

ogres, but the ogres don't always realize that the gnoblars even exist.

Story examples always seem to work nice so:
       Jasraka quickly threw the lump of charcoal that Lolor had set on the work bench at him while his back was turned, hitting him on the head. She quickly flew off as his curses echoed after her down the hall. She continued her way to the kitchen and tugged lightly at Balok's sleeve.
   "Can i get a cup of Sewer Brew for Urist?" she asked sweetly. Balok plunked down a Obsidian mug and filled it to the top. Jasraka thanked him and complemented him on his beard he smiled at that, first kind thing anyone said all day. He sighed a little as Jasraka tried to get airborne while hugging the mug, managing to spill a quarter of it on the floor, he would remember not to fill it so full next time.
    Jasraka continued on to Urist's stall and saw that she was quite sad today. Jasraka thumped the beer down on Urists workstation and pulled up the lizard skull mask that she had on.
  "Why so glum?" she asked looking up at Urist who was already downing the brew.
  "It's that damn Lolor, he's trying to start trouble again!" Jasraka smiled as she revealed her earlier exploits that day. That made Urist smile.
  "One more thing," Jasraka started digging through one of the nearby bins and finally popped up with a crude necklace " I made this just for you!"

and as always I apologize for the wall of text.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Other creatures living in your fort (of minor sentience)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:08:13 am »

Would be nice. Untamed semisentients would be cool. Could help with the fort or cause untold FUN.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 07:28:48 am »

Yes, good idea. Helps to diversify between sentient creature / walking meatstack.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

NWTreeOctopus

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 04:15:44 am »

How long would it take for them to learn what lever does what?  Then the poor dwarfs might find themselves out of a home when the pixies lock them out, flood areas with magma, start the earthquake machine, etc.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:22:50 am »

Multiculturalism is Elvish.
!!&!!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:05:39 am »

Multiculturalism is Elvish.
If you like fascism better, you can always incinerate them.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 05:31:43 am »

Fascist dwarves. I can picture Urist Mckillthejews in black and white already. Proud lines of german dwarven troops with crossbows held over the shoulder marching in the streets. Trenchcoated SS officers putting down a kitten with a 9mm round to the face.

Mwha....mwhaha...MWAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:36:45 am »

There will be uniforms now, all you have to do is mod in the swastika in descriptor_shape_standard. Making elf soap has been the rule rather than the exception for a long time already, judging from the forums.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 05:39:27 am »

All my dwarves need trenchcoats. I might mod them in.

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 06:32:42 am »

I am both enthralled by this interesting new concept and horrified at how quickly it has been corrupted into a thinly veiled nazi fantasy.  :-\
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 01:47:56 pm »

I don't see any veiling

Oh man, dwarves in pitch black trenchcoats wearing black & gold WW1 era ceremonial spiked helmets and brandishing ornate crossbows with bayonets. In the rain of course, can't have nazi imaginery without mottled gray clouds and rain

On a more serious note, I'd like to see actual customizable uniforms
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:50:17 pm by Pilsu »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 02:08:02 pm »

full on IN the next release...

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 09:39:14 pm »

*Ahem*
Back on topic, what about evil gnomes? Do they get the same treatment as the regular gnomes or are they more of a concentration camp workforce?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 11:59:20 pm »

Are gnomes even smart enough to speak?

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 08:34:03 pm »

Probably.

--But who really knows?
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.
Pages: [1] 2