Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Companion combat reports  (Read 667 times)

Chadling

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Companion combat reports
« on: July 11, 2009, 07:27:14 pm »

Hi folks.  You guys wouldn't know me, as I'm a new player to Dwarf Fortress.  I've been having a blast learning how the game works, and though I've been accomplishing quite a bit with the assistance of the Wiki (by the way, thanks to all the players that threw that together), there are a few things concerning Dwarf Companion that its page doesn't answer.

1) Is there an appreciable difference between the Python version and the .exe version?

2) I love watching the combat reports in the videos in the DFMA, and every time I see someone ask how it's done, the answer is invariably "get Dwarf Companion."  Now I have it (.exe v0.15,) but I have no idea how to bring up combat reports so they come up as announcements.

3) Do combat reports come up when off-duty dwarves spar?

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Dwarf Companion combat reports
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 10:27:34 pm »

1: Not as far as I know, I would assume they are the same though.

2: Opening up the main window of dwarf companion(where you can see a list of all the dwarves.), there should be an option at the top of the window that says "Combat reports" or something like that.

3: Yes, sadly, so you'll want to turn it off when there's no immediate combat... unless you LIKE announcement spam.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:01:48 pm »

Unfortunately, last I heard Combat reports were broken by 40d.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:55:00 pm »

How about cloning dwarves from one fortress to another? I've never figured out how to do that anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 04:09:45 pm »

How about cloning dwarves from one fortress to another? I've never figured out how to do that anyway.
That's just writing down their skill levels and then re-creating them in a different fortress, you can edit all these things(except thoughts and preferences) with Dwarf Companion.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 04:52:22 pm »

Damn. The dwarf's preferences and personality were the things I wanted to keep her around for.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.