Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Any way to keep food from rotting in the kitchens...  (Read 2365 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Any way to keep food from rotting in the kitchens...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 01:20:24 pm »

put them in barrels,like all other food,perhaps metal barrels and make dwarfs eat prepared food befor other stuff

Prepared food won't fit in barrels if it's in a stack bigger than 10, and if you're using stacks of quarry bush leaves in your meals (and you should), then you're going to end up with huge stacks of meals that'll never fit in barrels (I've got a several stacks of 80+ in my current fort, one stack often being enough to buy out an entire caravan).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 01:26:46 pm »

put them in barrels,like all other food,perhaps metal barrels and make dwarfs eat prepared food befor other stuff

Prepared food won't fit in barrels if it's in a stack bigger than 10, and if you're using stacks of quarry bush leaves in your meals (and you should), then you're going to end up with huge stacks of meals that'll never fit in barrels (I've got a several stacks of 80+ in my current fort, one stack often being enough to buy out an entire caravan).

uhh,my dwarfs have put prepared meals in barrels...
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 01:40:09 pm »

Prepared food won't fit in barrels if it's in a stack bigger than 10...

...Was the stack "bigger than 10"? No? Then... we can move along, can't we?  ;)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 02:41:37 pm »

thats why you make more barrels >_>
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 02:47:45 pm »

Is it in food stock piles?

"Food is stored in food stockpiles and may be placed in barrels. Seeds (and powders, such as flour or dye) are put in bags, which are themselves stored within barrels. Meat and prepared meals will rot (making it inedible) if not placed on a stockpile within a month or so. Plants not on a stockpile will wither, which also makes them inedible but does not produce miasma. Food on a stockpile will never rot, nor will food in a barrel even if it is not on a stockpile. Seeds will never rot no matter where they are. "

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 03:15:07 pm »

yah though somtimes i put them in a seperate pile
Story of my life.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 03:56:16 pm »

Well if it's actually rotting in the kitchen it may be due to you having no space to store the meals... If you haven't already, make a large primary food stockpile and forbid seeds, if you have a herbalist collecting plants it can quickly fill up your space if you don't have them going into bags or separate piles.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 04:23:21 pm »

Well if it's actually rotting in the kitchen it may be due to you having no space to store the meals... If you haven't already, make a large primary food stockpile and forbid seeds, if you have a herbalist collecting plants it can quickly fill up your space if you don't have them going into bags or separate piles.

leave the legendary planter alone and you will end up with a 15x15 food stock pile of only plump helmets
Story of my life.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 04:43:56 pm »

I like to have customized stockpiles for every food type, so I can see what's going on at a glance.  Each has 1 less barrel than it has room for - if I see a plant/item on a tile out of a barrel, I know I'm out of room in that stockpile, and if a row is empty I know something has fallen thru the cracks.

I have stockpiles for individual seed types next to their farmplots, and prepared-food-only stockpiles immediately below the dining hall, for quickest access.  Booze is nearby too, and again in rows based on type.

It takes a few more keystrokes to set up, but then it's all visible at a glance.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 09:15:17 pm »

Yes but your dwarves won't break up a stack to fit it in more barrels. If you have a stack of 80 food it will just be hauled off to a stockpile, not broken up to 8 stacks of 10 and stuffed in barrels.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 09:26:55 pm »

Yes but your dwarves won't break up a stack to fit it in more barrels. If you have a stack of 80 food it will just be hauled off to a stockpile, not broken up to 8 stacks of 10 and stuffed in barrels.

well,whatever,my meals get stacked in barrels and i rell dont see why everyone says it wont fit in a barrel if its bigger than ten,they shoudjsut make more so unless they do that,they will have to deal with it
Story of my life.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 09:30:45 pm »

well,whatever,my meals get stacked in barrels and i rell dont see why everyone says it wont fit in a barrel if its bigger than ten,they shoudjsut make more so unless they do that,they will have to deal with it

They say stacks of 10 meals won't fit because they won't fit.  Maybe your meals are in stacks of 10 or less.  But if it's a stack of 11 or 25 or 80, it won't fit in a barrel no matter how many of them you make.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 09:32:26 pm »

They say stacks of 10 meals won't fit because they won't fit.  Maybe your meals are in stacks of 10 or less.  But if it's a stack of 11 or 25 or 80, it won't fit in a barrel no matter how many of them you make.

.... ok now im not understanding,only ten meals can be placed in a stockpile?
Story of my life.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 09:49:25 pm »

If you have plump helmet biscuits[10], it can go into a barrel (though many people actually do NOT want them there).  If you have plump helmet biscuits[11], then it will never be put into a barrel until some dwarf eats it once so it becomes plump helmet biscuits[10].

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 09:51:51 pm »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh thanks now i get it
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 [2] 3