Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Turn Based Tatics games (like X-Com or Silent Storm)  (Read 21768 times)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turn Based Tatics games (like X-Com or Silent Storm)
« on: July 11, 2009, 01:14:45 pm »

Hello

Does anyone know of any good games like X-com or Silent Storm?
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
Re: Turn Based Tatics games (like X-Com or Silent Storm)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:19:37 pm »

There was some but I cant remember their names at the moment.
Their is more than 1 X-com game if you didn't know.
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:23:20 pm »

You have the UFO series and Jagged Alliance. There was also this game made by a German guy, the subtitle was 'Fight for destiny' or something. That game was one AWESOME remake, that remake got me into X-com in the first place 0.o

edit: http://www.xforce-online.de/
Wow, they're still working on it, last time I played it was somewhere around 2004, oh my, I really should try it again sometime
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:25:14 pm by Shadowgandor »

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:32:02 pm »

Oh if we're talking remakes theres tons of them out there like
http://www.projectxenocide.com/index.html
http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/
UFO2000 - multiplayer X-com
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:34:39 pm by MarineElite »
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 01:33:05 pm »

I've heard Laser Squad is pretty good.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 01:42:39 pm »

I've heard Laser Squad is pretty good.
To be precise, Laser Squad is the predecessor to X-Com, made by the same people, consisting of disjoint scenarios you can play through. Laser Squad Nemesis is a more recent game, a sort of sequel to LS, also spiritual successor to X-Com. Focused on multiplayer, but also possessing singleplayer scenarios for 4 different sides. Also, Nemesis is more of a phase-based game. You set up the orders for the next 10 seconds and then have it play out without your control till the next command phase comes up.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 02:02:27 pm »

Personally, I'm a great fan of Fallout: Tactics. IIRC it also has "Brotherhood of Steel" in the title, which can be confusing, because there is a game for the xbox with that title, and supposedly it's crap. Anyways, Fallout: Tactics for the PC, that's what I'm talking about.

Graphics look a bit like the original games, maybe a tad "better" (all a matter of taste), but for me, what I really really LOVE about that game is how it handles the rather fluid -and more than that- user defined transformation between turn based and real time. I kid you not, it works.

The key to this, and the actual gameplay element that finally made squad shooters enjoyable for me is the "firing threshold". I believe it only works when you're in real time mode, you can set a minimum percentage for hit chance the characters should start firing at.

So you could, for instance, enter turnbased mode, position your characters carefully in stealth mode to create an ambush, with crossfire and all, then you set the firing thresholds (you can leave em set for a whole game, too) and have one guy throw a nade into the enemies and then just sit back, relax and watch the carnage.

If you planned a firefight properly, you mostly dont move anyway. from time to time you have a character stand up/duck behind cover, but that's it. Stuff like that imho nearly works realtime too, and if not you can also hit pause for a moment, issue those orders and unpause again, kind of like semi turnbased.

Or just play it turnbased. I love it, there's only one downside, tho, it pretty much lacks any base building and research. You can trade a bit with guns, but that's that. Shame, really. Oh and the multiplayer has potential too, if you find the right opponents. Lots of interesting builds you can experiment around with, because the character styling, just like in your average RPG works well throughout the game.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 05:47:10 pm »

The sequel to Silent Storm was pretty good, but the other stuff on the engine (Night Watch and Hammer and Sickle) weren't.  Sucked, because I loved SS and am a big fan of the Night Watch world.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 04:20:07 am »

They're actually making Jagged Alliance 3 on the Silent Storm engine, last I heard.  Hopefully that will be good (and hopefully it won't become vaporware).

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 05:42:59 am »

They need more games in this 'genre' its such a good play type, allows you to actually think instead of spamming stuff like RTT and RTS games.

Sadly silent storm is a linear storyline game thus 'meh'
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 08:50:02 pm »

They need more games in this 'genre' its such a good play type, allows you to actually think instead of spamming stuff like RTT and RTS games.

If by linear you mean 'having played it before doesn't mean you can skip to the end'.  It's more of a string of pearls design.  On the bright side, it works, and the play balance isn't buggy as hell.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 11:12:13 pm »

If by linear you mean 'having played it before doesn't mean you can skip to the end'.  It's more of a string of pearls design.  On the bright side, it works, and the play balance isn't buggy as hell.

No I mean, its a series of missions tied together in a linear fashion, Mission A leads to Mission B, etc.

Games with linear storylines are worthless, no matter how good the game play is.

(before someone whines, this is my opinion, Every linear storyline game I've played would be better without the storyline)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 01:01:03 am »

No I mean, its a series of missions tied together in a linear fashion, Mission A leads to Mission B, etc.

Games with linear storylines are worthless, no matter how good the game play is.

While I may agree with you, I don't quite see how X-COM isn't a linear storyline. After all, the technologies you research are going to be the same every game (especially the plot techs that reveals to you more about the Alien Threat), as well as the last battle you face with the enemy.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 03:28:26 am »

X-Com was, and is, awesome. I love those games: Squad tactics + Open ended strategy. I cant decide whether I prefer the first one with the "alien siege" ambient, or the second "creepy cthuluian" one). X-Com apocalypse is pretty sweet as well, but... you are defending just a city. that made it a bit anticlimatic when compared to the others.

Jagged Alliance 2 is nice, but I dont like how they limit you to the "named" mercs, and  I think the capabilities of the strategy map are not exploited to their full potential. It would have been better if you could hire recruits a la X-Com1 (or if you prefer, X-com3, which since only gave you a number of new recs every month, prevented you from using the man-wave attacks that were so usual in X-com 1 and 2). But it's not a bad game by any means. It's just that this whole "X-com with a personality" thing is constraining

Fallout tactics: I feel this game wanted to be "Jagged Alliance in Fallout".  But in the end it was just a linear series of missions.
Silent Storm: never got it to run in my old computer. Should try in the new one. But I´m kind of put off by this stuff about it being linear.
While I may agree with you, I don't quite see how X-COM isn't a linear storyline. After all, the technologies you research are going to be the same every game

Because your actions in the strategic map, the missions you get, and what you do in each mission, are not, and in turn this affects what teches you get to research and when.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 05:42:36 am »

(before someone whines, this is my opinion, Every linear storyline game I've played would be better without the storyline)

Half life and sequels.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2