Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange mood...  (Read 564 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Strange mood...
« on: July 11, 2009, 10:57:20 am »

One of my clothiers recently entered a strange mood. He went ahead and claimed a clothier's shop, and demanded stacks of cloth and logs.

I have huge stockpiles of both (many kinds of logs) but he won't start construction.
I checked his preferences, and he doesn't prefer any specific colors or types of cloth/wood.

Is it possible that he wants dyed cloth or something like saguaro or tower-cap wood, even though he has no preference for it?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange mood...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:44:03 am »

Do you have both Silk and plant (i.e. Pigtail or rope reed) cloth?
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Laith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 11:44:55 am »

If you have only one type of cloth (probably plant fiber), try to acquire some silk cloth before he goes insane.  Check the chasm/pit for spider webs if you have one of those, or get some from a caravan if one happens to arrive soon.

Moody dwarves will collect the items they need in order.  So he doesn't particularly care what type of wood he gets, but needs to pick up the cloth before moving on to anything else.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 02:04:23 pm »

This is one of those rare instances where third party utilities are useful.  Specifically, Dwarf Companion can view(or modify) strange moods.  If he wants something specific, it'll tell you.  Optionally, you can just change what he wants, but that takes a bit much away from the game, I think.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 06:27:04 pm »

It's a fairly ridiculous design, but there is a difference between silk and plant cloth, and dwarves seem to prefer silk for strange moods. They're kind of stupid that way, considering that silk is also the hardest to come by.

Hope that the next dwarf caravan comes with some silk. I don't think Humans trade in silk, and I know for a fact elves don't (all they bring is rope reed... tons upon tons of rope reed).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325