Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The megaproject to end all megaprojects - brainstorming  (Read 4780 times)

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The megaproject to end all megaprojects - brainstorming
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 02:46:03 am »

Can magma flow through fortifications?
Yes, fortifications are sometimes used as indestructable magma filters for this reason.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 02:47:35 am »

Yea, but I've heard that magma won't flow through the edge of the map, even if you smooth and fortify it.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 03:19:38 am »

Presumably that's because there's solid rock on the other side. If you then embark one embark tile over and do the same to the wall on that side, it *might* work...

Alternatively, can you dig in Adventurer mode?

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 04:58:16 am »

I'm currently testing the river idea. I've confirmed that magma can flow in brooks, now I'm just waiting for it to get to the edge of the map.

Also: Dorfs can walk across a magma brook without igniting.

It didn't work - I cut off the brook from its source and filled it with magma, but the location next door had a full 7/7 brook of water.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 05:15:33 am by Grumman »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 10:17:12 am »

It's one of those DF wierdnesses.

Anyhow, it's a good theory about the adjectant sites. The fact that there is rock on the other side doesn't explain how you can get water to flow through for some layers as you can go to the bottom layer and make an outflow from there. I'm not trying to burst your bubble here, heh.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009, 11:08:48 am »

I dont have much experience with adventure mode. So bear with me.

How about this:

Fortress Mode:
Hope you have a magma pipe that ends on the level of a river or higher. (because, supposedly, pumps deconstruct upon adandoning)
Dam the river, prepare a magma inflow, dont open it yet, and build floodgates downstream from the magma inflow, connect them to a lever that is easily reachable.
Abandon fortress, enter adventure mode.
Go to site, wait til the possibly existing water downstream is gone, pull lever to release magma into riverbed.
?????
Profit?

edit: optionally try to find magma on a mountain high up, dont reroute into riverbed, just prepare some floodgates to hold the magma in and then let an adventurer pull that lever. Try to see if you can burn the world.

Bonus points if you call the adventurer "Trogdor".

Oh, and for those who havent guessed yet: I'm thinking adventure mode might get around the "magma doesnt leave the edge of the map" problem. Dunno, tho.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:13:18 am by Puck »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009, 11:45:47 am »

Fluids don't flow if the map's not inhabited, however.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009, 11:53:36 am »

Really?I thought perhaps a dammed river canyon that you have blocked off with intent of creating a lake but was forced to abandon for whatever reason and the UG river that you have tapped would keep flowing out and filling up the lake.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 02:31:57 pm »

Dont forget about Embark Anywhere.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 12:12:19 pm »

I bet that you'd have to have the magma pipe on each of the embark sites, even with EA.

I really like the idea of damming a brook and then filling it with magma, then exploring it in adventure mode.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 03:09:45 pm »

I dont think this would work anyway, as there is a limited amount of magma in a pipe and it refils too slowly. The other issue is that if you are filling too large an area (like a river bed) the magma spreads out and evaporates faster than it can fill. Narrow channems help with that, but make the flow unbelivably slow unless you presurize the system.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 03:28:10 pm »

Even for fortress mode having a magma brook flowing across your map would be pretty badass especially if you create a magma 'lake' as a source. Bonus points for a magma fall.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 09:31:01 pm »

If mechanisms remain after an area is abandoned, you could create a trapped castle. Fill it with caged demons and megabeasts linked to levers (they can be trapped if you knock them out) and a bunch of puzzles and have fun.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 09:36:19 pm »

If mechanisms remain after an area is abandoned, you could create a trapped castle. Fill it with caged demons and megabeasts linked to levers (they can be trapped if you knock them out) and a bunch of puzzles and have fun.

Creatures in cages are released and disappear upon abandon.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 04:59:48 pm »

IT CAN BE DONE

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1246

This was made in 40d with some mods. I put in orcs, changed all large clusters to veins... and made dwarves with super-speed who don't eat, drink, or sleep, for experimental purposes. The necessary raws are included with the world file.

I successfully passed magma between sites. Walls can't be built near map edges, but drawbridges can! I extended an above-ground magmaduct to the edge of a site by building some drawbridges and raising them.

To visit in adventure mode, start as a dwarf of Ninurzuglar, which is right next to my prototype. You need to be in adventure mode, obviously, to move magma from one site to another, but reclaiming will let you get a better look at how things work.
Udilsakrith is the magma pumping station. My apologies to all adventurers for leaving most of the bridges up, but you can still get in. The control room is one level underground and is a smoothed 3x3 room with levers in the NW and SW corners. The NW corner lever controls the gear, already engaged, which passes power from the wind farm to the main pump tower. The SW lever needs to be pulled to activate the system and will engage the gear connecting the pump tower to the main intake pumps that pull magma from the bottom of the vent. It will take a little while for the magma to reach the surface, so be patient... and don't go breaking down any locked doors unless until you want to flood the fort with magma.
Itebsanreb is the middle section of the magmaduct. There is a floodgate in the middle of the pipe which must be opened with a lever. There is not much else interesting there.
Ugoshlolor is the end of current construction. There is a pump which will move magma from the (blocked) pipe into the pit I dug when I was mining the stone to build everything.

Unfortunately, when you move from the second to the third site, the first one is unloaded from memory and magma stops moving. To make a serious "collect all the world's magma" project, you would probably need to put a relay station on every (or at least every other) site with a magma-vent-sized holding tank, and move the entire contents of each vent one site at a time.

Alignment is difficult. To align the pipes in the first two sites, after abandoning the second site I visited the first site with an adventurer, then moved a few tiles straight north and succumbed to starvation. When I reclaimed the second site, the dead adventurer indicated the exact location for the center of the pipe. For the second pair of sites, I simply counted tiles from the edge, but I was wrong by one tile and had to realign things later.

And the magma stays in the new site when you reclaim it in fortress mode. The only trouble is that magma buildings are not enabled. I was hoping to set up smelters and melt down all the steel armor brought by reclaim parties.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:27:16 pm by Kanddak »
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4