Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: D&D3.5 - Empty Bellies  (Read 14216 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D3.5 - Signups
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2009, 09:04:47 am »

Question: According to the DM Guide (v.3.5), it takes a week and 1000gp per spell level to create a new spell (which is required, seeing about the arcane text thing). Won't, in this enviroment, that mean it takes forever to raise my spell levels? In fact, I would have to dedicate all resources to getting new spells (and, by the way, it would be required for me to get to level 10 by your rules before I can start researching Level 1 spells). Are you changing this in any way?

Strictly speaking, yes, it would.  However every level you normally get a couple of spells 'free', from research you are assumed to do on your own time.  My restriction stops you from getting those free spells until you have some sort of laboratory set up.  (Once you do, you can research all 'owed' spells in the course of a week.  We'll assume they were bubbling around in your head, but you couldn't test them until now.)

Each school of spell will require a different laboratory apparatus within your main lab when you set it up.  Yes, this is primarily a matter of quest fodder, but it's also there to give you a drive to do things with a higher purpose than just monster slaying.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D3.5 - Signups Closed
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2009, 09:49:37 am »

Location Summary: Origin Point

As the flickering rift seals shut behind you, locking away forever the destruction of the old world, you take stock of the new one.  Fresh air fills your lungs, thick with the scents of early summer, and you can feel soft, yielding grass beneath your feet.  In the distance you hear the cries of unfamliar, yet not entirely alien creatures from the vast swathes of forest beneath this hilltop.  You can see quite a lot of the forest from here, stretching out as far as you can see both north and south, with the distant blue haze of the sea many leagues to the east and a ridge of purple mountains to the west.  A wide, winding river snakes through the forest, linking the two.  Here and there similar hills and ridges poke through the swathes of woodland; some forested, some bare like this one.

You become aware of other figures on the hill, two initially and then you catch sight of one behind you.

Sym

You do not recognise these lands, this place.  There are none of the hallmarks of civilisation and something about the position of the sun does not seem quite right.  You reflexively put a hand to the hilt of your rapier; a pair of elves stand on this hill with you, one dressed for travel like yourself and with a belt full of small pouches, the other wrapped in mud-specked leather armour and gripping a wooden spear.  Hearing the rustle of grass, you turn to see a dwarf, armour spattered with and beard flecked with blood and mud, wielding a dangerously heavy axe.

Auchfor

The spell that brought you here, whatever it was, was far beyond anything you had experienced even in the heights of the magic wars.  The shock of travel leaves you numb and confused.  What are these strange plants, where are all the people?  You try and wrap your mind around a place without even a single stone slab or edifice, so utterly different from the citadel you grew up in, and only barely succeed.  You fight through the shock and become aware of others on this strange hilltop with you; a human, an elf and a dwarf, all wrapped in armour and all gripping their weapons tightly.  You become uncomfortably aware of your own vulnerability.

Aandion

You could not save the forests of Carcosa, not in the untold centuries your kin tried to protect it from the ravages of civilisation, not in the blood wars that wrecked the grace of the old world in its last violent years and not from the final spell that scoured stone from fire and burned away those aged groves to the last.

Here, though...  You can feel the majesty of nature in full, unrivalled bloom, greater than anything you ever experienced in the tamed and plundered lands of the old world.  Here you can feel things as they were meant to be.

Though still, not all feels right.  Or at least the nature here feels different.  Different enough that the very character of the land is distinct from the forests of Carcosa.  Perhaps it is just the intensity of unbridled nature, perhaps it is just your inexperience.

More pressing matters divert your attention.  You become aware of others in this place; two humans, one of them armed and armoured, and a dwarf in battle gear and clutching an axe.  Your knuckles tighten unconsciously around the haft of the sharpened stake of ironwood that serves as your spear.

Kadol

You pick yourself out of the mud with a grunt, wiping as much of the blood as you can from your beard.  Flashes of the final battle cascade through your mind; holding off the Yellow King's legions with your fellow soldiers as dwarves fled through the mysterious gates.  You can still feel your axe splitting open human skulls and elven ribcages, hefting it free from the final soldier before diving through the gate yourself.

You look around at the untamed wilderness with a soldier's eye, picking out the military crest of the hill you stand upon, wondering what trees will provide the best wood for fortification against the Yellow King's legions when they make their move again, studying shadows for hiding spots and potential ambushes.

A dim awareness creeps upon you that there are no other dwarves here.  Wherever the gates sent your people, it was not to this hill.  A soft keening sound fills the air and you grip your axe tightly, raising it to defend against the human attackers.  Three rifts shear through the air, ejecting a trio of dazed humans, or elves, or both.  They stumble, gathering their wits about them, but you see the weapons two of them carry and steel yourself.

If they plan to continue the old fight, so do you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:04:56 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: D&D3.5 - Origin Point
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2009, 10:32:21 am »

"Lo! These lands seem strange. Everything feels different from our world."

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2009, 11:01:23 am »

"Indeed. I can only wonder what arcane forces brought us here, human."

(Note: Is it me, or am I the only one who can tell what race everyone is?)
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2009, 11:03:23 am »

"Well, elf, do you know of what has happened?"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2009, 11:31:32 am »

Humaan:  Half-elves look like humans to elves and like elves to humans.  Yes, it's blatently racist.  Especially given humans and elves all look alike to dwarves.

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2009, 01:01:30 pm »

"First off, human, I am an half-elf. Make sure you don't make that mistake again. And even with my knowledge in arcana, I am not sure what brought us to this realm. I know much about the magic used during the magic wars, yet I have not experienced anything like this... and who are you, may I ask?"
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2009, 02:36:25 pm »

Kadol looks at the three tall-folk for a moment and then speaks, "Who are you? Are you foes of Anil Anam?"
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2009, 02:37:29 pm »

"Fellow dwarf, I am no enemy of you."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:44:03 pm by Org »

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2009, 02:46:38 pm »

"Good." Kadol lowers his axe slightly, "Who are you then?"

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2009, 02:49:19 pm »

"Fellow companions! We must get food and water or we shall surely die!"

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2009, 02:54:31 pm »

"Companions? I don't even know your name, kurosh."

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2009, 02:55:22 pm »

"Well, short one, my name is Sym Redsword. What is yours?"

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2009, 02:58:31 pm »

"I am Kadol Kolbal. And you are right, we should search for food and water."

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2009, 03:02:10 pm »

"And search we shall. I say we split up. Kadol and I shall search for food and branches for a fire. You elves look for water."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13