Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Behavior In Clerk  (Read 1168 times)

DragonFlight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Strange Behavior In Clerk
« on: July 11, 2009, 01:20:24 am »

First off, hello, I just started playing recently, and I'm loving it.  :)

Anyway, in my current Fortress, I've been observing some strange behavior in my Clerk.

After I first set up, my first migrant wave contained, among other things, a Jeweler.  At this point, I had no rough gems, raw glass, or anything that needed setting.  Thus, I set up no Jeweler's Workshop, and simply appointed the Jeweler as my Record Keeper to get my inventory straightened out.  Well, he set to work, and after some time, he gained the Legendary Record Keeper stat and so on, and has continued to serve the position.

Well, I finally ran into some gems, and got some from trades and the like, and I figured it was time to finally get the Jeweler's Workshop up and running.  So I set it to go, and lo and behold, the Clerk comes out of his office for the construction....

And will not leave.  Will not move from this Workshop.  At all.  His mood is Happy, he is not possessed or anything, he's not injured....
But he won't come out.  For anything.  Trying to get him to cut my rough gems, he insists there are none available, even though the stockpile is right outside the door.  When it's time to get the Records updated again, he cancels that as well, saying he has no office.  But his office is still owned by him, not too far away.  And worst of all, I can't even call it laziness.....it's more like obsession, because he won't even come out for food or booze!  He refuses everything, unless I deconstruct the Jeweler's Shop right beneath him - which sends him promptly back to his normal routine without any negative or unhappy thoughts.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Behavior In Clerk
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:23:08 am »

A jeweler's workshop is one of the workshops where the complete left or right side (I can't remember which) is impassible, so if the only door was on that side, it's because he's now stuck in there.

DragonFlight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:26:18 am »

Ooh, I didn't know that, I'll have to check and see how I have it set up.  Thanks!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:46:46 am »

On the wiki, under each workshop's specific name, there's a graphic in the sidebar of where the impassible tiles in each workshop are.  Some are quite easy to block doors, but the jeweler's may be (among) the worst.

Recommend everyone check those out, esp if you build doors at corners a lot.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 01:59:50 am »

When you go to place the template to build the workshop, there are differently coloured squares where the impassable benches will be.

So you don't have to memorise the 'shape" of each workshop type, Thank Ghu, just pay attention to how the template fits in with existing doors/walls before you click the LMB to say "put it there..."   ;)
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 02:04:44 am »

Yah, digging out space for workshops and then finding out that the doors are blocked is not my preferred development plan.  But that's just me.

You do it in any order you deem approp'.  ;)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 03:43:51 am »

You can always just "pretend build" the workshop in any empty space without actually placing it - so you can see the template -  before you start digging. 

Much simpler than paging out of DF & starting a web-browser to check the Wiki...   ;D
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 03:45:48 am »

A jeweler's workshop is one of the workshops where the complete left or right side (I can't remember which) is impassible, so if the only door was on that side, it's because he's now stuck in there.
Jeweler's blocks off the right-hand side, Bowyer's blocks off the left-hand side :)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 05:58:44 am »

Just leave him there, Clerks are cheap :)
Demon of Darkness

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 06:24:42 am »

Clerks are people too! Nah, I'm just kidding with ya..
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 12:52:06 pm »

Clerks are people too! Nah, I'm just kidding with ya..

Have a little perspective here! The dwarf's a jeweler, too!
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!