Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nomad Civ?  (Read 593 times)

Archaalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nomad Civ?
« on: July 10, 2009, 09:29:13 pm »

Hey, out there.  I am new, but please do not hold that against me.  Are there any mods out there which include some sort of nomadic civilization?  Or is any such thing even possible?  I am thinking of something along the lines of a horse-nomad culture living on the plains, like the Mongols, Huns, and Turks in Eurasia and the Plains Indians (Sioux, Comanche, etc.) in North America.  The civ wouldn't need to be playable in Fortress mode (they wouldn't be building permanent settlements, anyway), but I was thinking that they would be an interesting addition to the DF world as I understand it.  Do people have any thoughts?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nomad Civ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:39:42 pm »

So they would be like a civilization who's members have permanent migrant status?

I have no clue if that is possible though.

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 09:49:57 pm »

Not of yet.  The closest thing is the kobolds, who are skulking and live in caves.

In world gen they tend to move around alot, but thats because of all the raids.
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 12:29:40 am »

Elves run away from their retreats at the slightest provocation in Adventure mode- seriously. Visit, kill one, or set one on fire? BAM. They're outta there.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 01:12:12 am »

I know there are plans for beastmen pseudo-civilization/entities in the next version, and those may or may not be nomadic.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Archaalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:23:52 am »

That's cool.  I wasn't thinking so much of "permanent migrants" as bands of people who set up a camp for themselves every night, so they have a sort of mobile settlement which stays within a defined area (say, within a certain section of plain).  They would hunt and herd cattle or sheep for their food, and attack settlers who came into their territory.  For adventurers and merchants, the reaction would be mixed, they could attack or come out to trade.  They would travel and fight on horseback, and primarily use bows (yes, BOWS.  They would probably be very scary to fight as an adventurer).  Implementable or not, is this a good idea?  Would people use it?  And should I post this idea as a suggestion?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 07:26:26 am »

And should I post this idea as a suggestion?

Go for it. :)

It sounds like a nice idea and there is nothing to lose by putting it there. Maybe even Toady will like the idea.