Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu Fortress  (Read 13236 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu Fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 05:42:16 pm »

I could do a bit of modding for this, I suppose. Either send me a list of what you want (domestics? all redone creatures? still some earth ones like deer/raccoons/whatever or mythos variants?) and I'll get on it when I have some time.

I've made many mods before so you shouldn't have to worry about them being badly made.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 06:14:03 pm »

Mwhehehe. Thr only mod I'm currently bothering with is your creature pack, Teldin.

I'll write up a list of included things so that anyone wanting to help can discuss creatures that should/should not be in there. Also, anyone can post up if they're going to work on one and that will let anyone else interested know that they shouldn't bother with that creature.

Creature list in OP.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 09:20:26 pm »

Cultists (Human civs worshipping Old Ones)

A quick suggestion.

You could remove the current demons (replaced with proper lovecraft entities), and add the [POWER] tag to these Old Ones. Then set the humans to worship them. (ANY_APPROPRIATE_POWER)

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 12:35:43 am »

Shoggoth megabeasts, perhaps?

Asatruer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 11:33:37 am »

Nyarlathotep (The King In Yellow has arrived!)
Hastur (HFS, You thought your nobles were corrupt to start with?)
The King in Yellow is an avatar of Hastur, and not related to Nyarlathotep.
Personally I do not think any of the Great Old Ones, Outer Gods, or Elder Gods should be found stomping around. The idea one of them just wandering around and finding Dwarf Forts to smash and fighting and killing any of them just sounds ridiculous to me.

But adding a bunch of normal(ish) creatures from the various cycles could be neat. Don't forget the Gnophkeh, Fire-Vampire and especially Tcho-Tcho would all probably translate well into DF critters.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 12:15:36 pm »

I know the king in yellow is Hastur, but I liked the message, and the Hastur bit was growing too big, so I put it in and hoped no-one would notice :D

I agree with the fire-vampires and Gnophkeh, maybe put in the people of the plateau of Leng in as another civ (worried about having too many civs). The idea of the CoC DF is that the stars are right-ish, so things are moving and awakening, and the Great Old Ones are stomping and such.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:05:56 pm by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 04:06:07 pm »

Anyone new interested?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 06:49:56 am »

Cough* bump *cough

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 11:27:40 am »

It would be really neat, yes, but I don't think I would use it 24/7. Of course I'd have to try and beat Cthulhu at LEAST once.

Thank god Dwarves don't have sanity checks.
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

Tanase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 11:48:39 am »

I demand more! This would be an amazing mod. Sadly, I have no immediate ideas to input, so, uh... I'll just stand here in the corner and cheer you on in hopes of being able to play it eventually.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 04:19:19 pm »

Arghh. There must be people with modding experience willing to take on bits. A few people have offered help, but I don't want to dish out specifics, I'd rather let them pick whatever they fancy doing on the day.

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 06:15:39 pm »

Alright, well, here's my template for my Cthulhu/Any great old ones.  I just decided to use Cthulhu as a general stand-in for all Great Old Ones, it isn't very flavorful but it works well enough for me.  If there's a way to make it so that there's really only one of these things at a time, ever (usually that's how it works anyways, being a megabeast and all), then go ahead and tell me.

PS I figured 50 would be the right size, Lovecraft is damned confusing in his description of how big Cthulhu is.  In dreams he's about a mile high, in real life he's huge enough to be way bigger than the boat and yet he actually has to swim after the damn thing, and FAILS, no less (if memory serves), which really makes it confusing as to how big he is.  I was going to say [SIZE:30] but thought that since mine was a global edit I'd just go [SIZE:50] and call it a day.

Also, I figure Hastur's insertable so long as you can make a secondary, corrupt Human civ, which should be easily done.  They need to ride Byakhees, too, I figure.  And hate every other cult.

Actually, this sounds totally cool, if you don't mind my Cthulhu template I'd love to work further on this one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In order to get the 6FACETENTACLES tag, add this to BODY_DEFAULT:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hope it helps.

On a side note, originally I had Cthulhu's attacks be mind-based, but basically he just kept on bashing people with his head, which really didn't fit Cthulhu at all in my opinion.  If anyone has any ideas for better, more flavorful attacks, contact me.

I'm also about to add in Deep Ones, I might give them a civilization but I'm not so sure considering how secretive they are about everything.  It might be worth a shot, though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 06:22:57 pm by Enatai »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 09:21:31 pm »

Awesome. cheers. The reason that Cthulhu is so hard to place size-wise is because he can grow or shrink as he sees fit (and can increase or decrease the size of any of his body). I'f you don't mind, I'll take your Cthulhu and rework it, because damblock 1 for Cthulhu is just plain wrong :D

A few other things will be tweaked if you give your permission.

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 11:54:35 pm »

No, I knew Cthulhu's damblock was 1, if it was too high he'd be super, super broken and then the game wouldn't be fun.  He's size 50 anyways and should still be a rather formidable opponent even if his damblock is low.  Still, feel free to change the damblock so long as he doesn't have [DAMBLOCK:LIKE, EIGHTY BILLION MILLION JILLION LOLS].  Also, from wikipedia: "The phrase 'a mountain walked or stumbled' gives a sense of the creature's scale," which makes me think that [SIZE:50] might be a bit of an accurate size, I really don't know how you're going to have varying sizes for these things.

Anyways, what about Elder Gods?  I wonder if there's a way so that they're the rarest of the rare, but seeing as one can summon Yog-Sothoth in the books, it makes sense that they'd be in there somewhere.  Anyways, if they aren't, it's fine, I'm just guessing.

Some other stuff/ideas:
- Alien language(s)?
- Isn't it Hastur who is the King in Yellow, not Nyarlathotep?
- I wonder if there's a way to have a creature constantly emitting Miasma and/or fog... If so, it'll be totally awesome.
- Oh, I forgot to add hateable to Cthulhu, go ahead and stick that in.
- Here's one of my favorite resources for this sort of thing, it's the Servants of Tulzscha website.  I also had a link to a copy of the Necronomicon but I found out that it lost its hosting, which sucks because it was this freakin' sweet copy, seemed like it could pass for the real thing, it was awesome.  Oh, and Wikipedia's always good.  But!  The Tulzscha site has pictures and stuff in its encyclopedia of sorts.  If we can't find a good description of something I'd go ahead and base it on their pictures, they look pretty cool and could all easily count as canon, though their picture of Shantanks seems to indicate that it isn't a whale at all, it's like this weird cross between a pterodactyl and a plesiosaur or some such prehistoric ocean-dweller.  Anyways, you get that there are visual aides and notes and things like that.
- Oh man, add in Dimensional Shamblers.  If you give 'em [SPEED:1], they may as well be teleporting (I should know since the creatures I play with have [SPEED:1] and it's about the most broken tag you can give a creature, it's pretty much like god-moding).  You could give them [BABYSNATCHER] and almost call it a day.
- A Dhole is fine, too.

I'll get cracking over the weekend and probably come back with Dimensional Shamblers and Dholes for you to look over and adjust.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 12:02:56 am by Enatai »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 03:19:42 pm »

awesome, cheers. I mentioned earlier that the King in Yellow is Hastur but that his entry was really big, and I wanted to use the phrase :D I would add more damblock to him, he is supposed to be almost unkillable, after all. A squad of champions could banish him for a while (in the Cthulhu rpg 6th ed you would need to get highest possible damage on him 15 times with an artillery piece just to banish him for a little while)

I could include the alien languages ,yes. I'll think about adding them in. I'm hoping that Cthulhu mythos might one day be the only hateable thing (to simulate mythos insanity).

Zombies are constantly emitting miasma, I might check up on whether zombie-ism is rawed or Hardcoded.

Dholes can't be done properly until things can tunnel, so I'm going to hold off on including them, but if you bother to mod them, i won't turn them down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8