Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu Fortress  (Read 13232 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu Fortress
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2009, 06:13:14 pm »

Ya I came to that conclusion...... very unfortunately...
Nom nom nom

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2009, 03:51:09 pm »

Hey, should I add [UNDERSWIM] to the Deep Ones?  I'm going to go ahead and add it in, since it seems like it'd be creepier and more lovecraftian if nobody saw them coming.  They're sneaky bastards, that's for sure.  Oh, and I'm torn between adding [UTTERANCES] or not.  It isn't strictly canon but it seems... fitting.
Gives them names, but they are names that to the player are utter gobbaldygook.

It gives them names perfect for something Lovecraft wrote (completely unpronounceable) and ALSO makes it so that they can't have diplomacy with other races. They are always fighting everybody (also see Kobolds).

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2009, 10:09:54 pm »

Hey, should I add [UNDERSWIM] to the Deep Ones?  I'm going to go ahead and add it in, since it seems like it'd be creepier and more lovecraftian if nobody saw them coming.  They're sneaky bastards, that's for sure.  Oh, and I'm torn between adding [UTTERANCES] or not.  It isn't strictly canon but it seems... fitting.
Gives them names, but they are names that to the player are utter gobbaldygook.

It gives them names perfect for something Lovecraft wrote (completely unpronounceable) and ALSO makes it so that they can't have diplomacy with other races. They are always fighting everybody (also see Kobolds).

And therein lies the problem (that they have absolutely no chance for diplomacy).  On the one hand, it's fine to have Deep Ones be the outcast freakazoids they are.  On the other hand, who will defend the Mi-Go or the Yith from the Brothers of the Yellow Sign?

Nah, I'm screwing with you, I'm not going to make the game so buggered up with civs and canon and all that crap that it won't run.  I'll go ahead and add in Utterances and Underswim.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2009, 06:35:46 am »

Awesome. I'm having a bit of a time drought here, no time for anything, people always telling me to get up early and do boring favours for them. More work next week...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2009, 03:32:36 am »

Would it be possible to implement shoggoths?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2009, 06:17:10 am »

Yep. I thought they were on the list, but if not, I'll add them in.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2009, 07:11:25 am »

Oh, wait. There they are. What about colors out of space? They're basically giant slimes that suck the life out of the area and are invisible.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2009, 07:38:43 am »

Do they really add anything to the game? I guess cougars and cheetahs and so on and so on aren't adding anything, but they're still there. Ok, Colours are going on the list.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2009, 07:48:16 am »

As a megabeast, there would be Shub-Niggurath's dark young. They have the form of a tree, with three great goat legs, three great mouths, and massive tentacles instead of branches. You can see them here. The figures in the circle are humans.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2009, 06:24:21 pm »

I thought about the Dark Young, but I want them to spawn from Shub-Niggurath and that's just not possible. Should I go ahead and put them in anyway?

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2009, 08:13:43 pm »

Here are some giant blind penguins to go in cave rivers and pools (from "At the Mountains of Madness")

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2009, 08:22:22 pm »

My thoughts on the Flying Polyps is that they should appear out of the glowing pit, since in the mythos they are traditionally found sealed up underground until some poor fool digs them out. Any objections if I make flying polyps that appear in this manner?

Also, the [GRASSTRAMPLE:] tag was just MADE for these guys :D

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2009, 08:38:45 pm »

Yeah, go for it. Cheers for the penguins, I look forward to engineering giant-penguin vs Shoggoth fights to see who really wins :D

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2009, 08:41:59 pm »

Do we know exactly what the [MAGICAL] tag does? I've heard conflicting reports; i.e. that it does nothing; that it causes creatures to appear with packs of other creatures; that it causes affinity with wildlife in adventure mode; and/or that it enables teleportation.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2009, 10:46:05 pm »

Flying Polyps

Appear in groups out of the glowing pit and have strengths similar to demons (resistant to pain, immolation, drowning, etc.) Upon death they leave no body, just a splattering of slime. They attack with:

• "wind" attack from cavitation organ (powerful bludgeon; should throw people around pretty well)
  • "wind" attack from dessication gland (weak cold-based attack; didn't want to make it any stronger because I don't know how cold attacks behave in-game)
  • gore attack from pseudopods (I used six_tentacles body part from tentacle demon but only two are used for attacking by the polyps.)

I used "canlatch" on the pseudopods although these body parts do not have the [GRASP] or [MOUTH] tag; is this an issue?

Another issue is that I don't think we currently have an entity with the [ENDING] tag and I'm not sure how this will affect hitting the glowing pit. Currently, only demons (the big single demons, that is) have this tag; does there need to be one for [DEFENDER] creatures to spawn?

I also considered giving them a very low fixedtemp or homeotherm so that they would freeze water and booze as they pass by it, but I don't know if low temperatures behave properly in-game so I decided to leave it as normal.

Creature Tag:

Body Parts:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:40:58 pm by Niyazov »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8