Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu Fortress  (Read 13234 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu Fortress
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2009, 08:44:54 pm »

I just realized something. Since you don't like alturism, it's best to hardcode in non-alturism for the creatures you have in your mod. I'll take this Great Old Ones default code that Enatai gave you to explain, the changes at the bottom. I am using  Personality Modding. Even if you disagree with my suggetions, which are just generalizations based on popular culture, you'll need to do personality modding, because if you do not, the game will randomly determine personality of each creature, and that might lead to 'problems'.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:14:12 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2009, 10:08:02 pm »

well I just had an epic battle dwarf traders, argonian traders (giant lizard men I modded to civ), daggerfiends (violent cultish cannibalistic dwarves), an abush of ghasts, and a siege of TchoTcho, just collided at the gates the only three survivors were a puppy, the output liason and a dwarf marksmen, there is blood, chunks, limbs and corpses everywhere and I mean literally everywhere about ten limbs came over my front wall, and a few landed in the animal pits on th other side of my fort. The reason I'm posting this here is that the TchoTcho and the Ghasts were vastly outnumbered but they were the last two forces to really survive, only to be picked off by a really pissed marksmen who had been knocked out for most of the battle. So the TchoTcho and the Ghasts can really hold their own in a big battle.
Nom nom nom

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2009, 09:26:58 am »

Kilakan: That's cool, I'm glad they won't just wimp out. The fact that both they won a 5 way fight does concern me. You may have made them too powerful :D Were they attacking in packs vs single/a few enemies, or were they fighting 1 to 1 and still winning?

Servant: What exactly happens without personality modding? I didn't realise it was an issue for creatures, but if it's possible to have Cthulhu appear and then drive away ambushes for the next 10 years, it could be a problem :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2009, 09:37:24 am »

Servant: What exactly happens without personality modding? I didn't realise it was an issue for creatures, but if it's possible to have Cthulhu appear and then drive away ambushes for the next 10 years, it could be a problem :D

In cases like this personality values are usually set to something arbitrary ([ASSERTIVENESS:100:100:100], [ALTURISM:0:0:0], etc) that, while may not reflect the actual creature's supposed personality, is definitely functional. Without determining personality tokens, (it's assumed that) all personality values will have an average of around 50 - and getting a Great Old One with [VULNERABILITY:100], [ALTURISM:100] and [ANXIETY:100] is just going to happen eventually, due to random chance.
If said values are imposed within certain boundaries, the creature(s) in question will always behave in a relatively uniform way - presumably - just how you want it to.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2009, 10:18:32 am »

The ambushes kinda collided so it was squad vs squad. The Tcho Tcho and Ghasts had more guys so it was 1.5vs1.
Nom nom nom

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2009, 01:00:37 pm »

Kilakan: Cool. I'm about to start playing again, so I'll get a first hand look at them, see if they need toning down.

3/Servant: But how would Cthulhu with vulnerability 100 work as opposed to Cthulhu with vulnerability 0? I thought personality traits were only used in interactions between playable race actors.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2009, 02:37:11 pm »

"VULNERABILITY" is actually a misnomer. It represent how little stress the creature has.  Cthulhu with Vulnerablity 100 "becomes completely helpless in stressful situations". Cthulhu with Vulnerablity 0 "Is impervious to the effects of stress".

If you got Cthulhu with Vulernablity 100, you're going to get a scaredy-cat Cthulhu who can't handle stress.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2009, 03:16:37 pm »

Which was really my point.

All of the personality traits have effects like these, and they determine the traits of your dwarfs in Fortress Mode.

(apologies for late reply, internet died)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2009, 05:59:45 pm »

Ah, so they aren't just used for interaction between dwarves. Cheers. I'll have to mod all those in.

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2009, 10:47:05 pm »

Hey, should I add [UNDERSWIM] to the Deep Ones?  I'm going to go ahead and add it in, since it seems like it'd be creepier and more lovecraftian if nobody saw them coming.  They're sneaky bastards, that's for sure.  Oh, and I'm torn between adding [UTTERANCES] or not.  It isn't strictly canon but it seems... fitting.

Here's my preliminary Deep Ones creature template, I have yet to do the entity but feel free to edit the Deep Ones as you see fit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, on the topic of personality, I was thinking perhaps just giving all of them (the Great Old Ones, the races do have emotions and such, I believe) [NOEMOTION] and calling it a day.  They certainly don't show it in the books very much.

Screw them. Great Old Ones are awesome, and the way that some (less morbid) authors added fluffy, kind gods irritates me to no end. Hypnos and Nodens (of the ones I can recall) are far too humanity friendly in the works of other authors. H.P. originally created a few of them, not to balance out the chaotic evil of the Great Old Ones but rather to add chaotic neutral to the mix. Any depiction of them as helpful for any reason other than their own ends and enjoyment is un-Lovecraftian.

Cthulhu Mythos is all about the creeping insanity, the unseen cults. I disagree with letting anything DG near my work, but that's mainly preference, H.P. never had any organisations (excepting, of course, the raid on Innsmouth), and so neither do I. The works that I like to incorporate are only those that the man himself agreed with, he created Cthulhu Mythos, so his word is law as far as I'm concerned.

Too much of modern stuff is Hastur Mythos (corruption and swat teams), which tends to be more open and warring cults kinda stuff. The Cthulhu-Tech RPG is so much Hastur Mythos that I refuse to play it without heavily altering the timeline.

Hear hear!  Also, I hadn't heard of any of the new gods "defeating" (my ass) the Great Old Ones.  They sound like goody two-shoes if you ask me.  But hey, gives me an idea: Norse God Fortress.  Cool fortress, let me justOH GOD RAGNAROK
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:52:47 pm by Enatai »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2009, 07:20:09 am »

Mwhahahaha. Norse fortress must've been done already.

Underswim and utterances make a lot of sense, go for it. I've given Cthulhu and Shubby no emotion already, I figured it was the best way to simulate their uncaring nature.

Doesn't vermin_hateable make them vermin, and thus they might fall prey to cats and such? I haven't seen any creatures with any vermin tags and I thought any vermin tag would make them die to cats. The alternative is that cats will hunt them and the Deep Ones will massacre any cats that come near.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2009, 01:19:00 pm »

Hey, should I add [UNDERSWIM] to the Deep Ones?  I'm going to go ahead and add it in, since it seems like it'd be creepier and more lovecraftian if nobody saw them coming.  They're sneaky bastards, that's for sure.  Oh, and I'm torn between adding [UTTERANCES] or not.  It isn't strictly canon but it seems... fitting.

What does [UTTERANCES] do?

Hear hear!  Also, I hadn't heard of any of the new gods "defeating" (my ass) the Great Old Ones.

I'm not sure canonically if they can defeat the Great Old Ones, only be able to contain them for a time. Great Old Ones doesn't awake yet, time to break the champane out, Gods!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2009, 01:59:35 pm »

Gives them names, but they are names that to the player are utter gobbaldygook.

I can now picture the Elder Gods looking nervously at a shaking R'lyeh, talking to humanity.

Elder gods: Yeah, we really put the beat down on those Great Old Ones, it was us... sure was...

Humanity: Then why is the earth shaking?

Elder gods: Uhh... because... because we beat them so hard!

Cthulhu: Urghh.. where was I last night? Hey, Hypnos, let me out. I was kidding about your mum!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2009, 04:13:49 pm »

Hey any creatures you want me to make?
Nom nom nom

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2009, 05:07:15 pm »

Pick something off the list. Go on, anything. I'm not picky. I tried the Tcho Tcho out in adventure mode and discovered that they suck in 1v1, but if even one manages to sneak up behind you, you're done for. Should be fun when they finally arrive in DF. First year gone, no TchoTcho yet.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8