Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu Fortress  (Read 13235 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu Fortress
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2009, 03:29:14 pm »

that's wierd cause I played and got tchotcho that tried to raid me and ended up fighting a group of ghasts that were trying the same thing.... you did put them in the creature_standard and the entity_default right? cause I didn't mean em to be left in the file I sent you.
Nom nom nom

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2009, 03:35:31 pm »

Nyarlathotep isn't The King in Yellow.  Hastur is The King in Yellow.

Nevermind, I see the thing where you can't do Hastur now, but still.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:37:16 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2009, 03:41:51 pm »

:'(Well, all the other mods worked just fine when left in situ, but these won't. I'm going to try adding them to the standard .txt files that come with vanilla, but I'm not really expecting much. I didn't even get an error message. The entire world genned just fine, ignoring everything we modded.

EDIT: Ok, it worked with them in the standard files. I'm just wondering why they won't work left alone. I'll look into it, I have a theory.

EDIT2: I'm Suck a fecking retard.

entity_default

[OBJECT:ENTITY]

If entity files (or creature files or body part files, where applicable) don't have this part, DF ignores them as being not important files (conversely, you could seriously screw things up by putting these where they don't belong. I'll go add these to the raw files and hopefully have a regenned world filled to the brim with horrific creatures when I next type up.

EDIT3: Fuck it. Someone else deal with this.

Unrecognized Creature Body Token: R_SHANTAK : FLIER_WORM
Unrecognized Creature Body Token: R_FIREVAMPIRE : FIREVAMPIRE
Unrecognized Creature Body Token: R_GNOPHKEH : GNOPHKEH
Unrecognized Creature Body Token: R_GREAT_OLD_ONES : 6FACETENTACLES
Unrecognized Creature Token: NO_BLEED
Unrecognized Creature Token: LITTER_SIZE
Unrecognized Creature Body Token: R_SHUBBY : SHUB
Unrecognized Creature Token: NO_BLEED
Unrecognized Creature Token: NO_THOUGHT
Unrecognized Creature Token: NO_BREATHE

I used no spaces, I checked the tags to make sure they were right, I checked the agreements and arguments and fuck it all, I'm off to eat dinner. Some other poor sod can tell me why it's not working.

The creature files
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The entity files

The body part files

Enjoy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:34:13 pm by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2009, 06:53:59 pm »

What's wrong with hound of Tindalos? Just make them rare and appear underground, I am sure there're sharp corners there :). And yeah, make them very fast.

EDIT3: Fuck it. Someone else deal with this.
Man, don't be lazy: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Creature_tokens
Is it hard to read a single page? o_O
NOBLEED, LITTERSIZE, NOTHOUGHT, NOBREATHE! Where did you take these additional "_"? You should read the creature token page at least once in your life to avoid modding problems :).

Also are you sure your body file is called body_coc.txt? It looks like it's not initialized.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2009, 07:11:30 pm »

Arghh. Such huge noob mistakes! I've read that page about a billion times, my "vanilla" DF is so heavily modified and yet still I make these stupid mistakes.

I remembered the .txt thing just in time the first gen round. I had a look and went "wait... what?... .txt!"

The body_coc.txt file is definitely being read (taking it out instantly fixed the autocrash, although the creatures that have missing parts won't work, but at least it's playable). I'll fix the obvious mistakes and regen, but I don't think it'll work.

P.S. Thanks Deon for pointing out my stupidity. In all fairness, NO_GENDER vs NOBREATHE. There's no reason one should have "_" and the other shouldn't.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:14:24 pm by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2009, 09:21:29 pm »

Yeah, I did this mistake THOUSAND of times. But I usually Ctrl-F them quite fast.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2009, 06:10:34 am »

Hmm. I've checked everything. The correct headings are on both the creature and body files, it's .txt format, the bodies have everything they need to function correctly, there are no duplicate entries, but it still won't work. If no-one here can discover the cause, I might submit a bug report for Toady (armok be with him) to peruse. I want this finished.

On the topic of Hounds of Tidalos, I want them down at least semi-right. I doubt I'll ever get them spawning only at corners, but at least vermin attacking would be good enough.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2009, 09:05:49 am »

I see where I went wrong with the ghasts remove the [INTELLIGENT] and add [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_CIV] oh and [CAN_LEARN] because if they are intelligent they won't attack without some serious fighting between them and dwarves in world gen. without intelligant they should attack no matter what.  But as for the TchoTcho and the shabus morgo I sent you I have no freaking clue cause they work fine on mine and I didn't make any new languages or body sets.....
Nom nom nom

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2009, 09:09:07 am »

oh and I don't know why but I find without [MAXAGE:##:##] it seems to screw everything up unless they are semi-mega or mega beasts. but ya it's definitly something missing is there are no errors and nothing is spawning.
Nom nom nom

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2009, 10:13:25 am »

Bugger the ghasts. This is my 100th regen and I'm actually going to play now. I managed to get the TchoTcho working, no errors or anything. Everything seems to be fairly fixed if you just slot it into the standard DF files. It just really bugs me that they won't work separated. GRR.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2009, 10:55:51 am »

Screw them. Great Old Ones are awesome, and the way that some (less morbid) authors added fluffy, kind gods irritates me to no end. Hypnos and Nodens (of the ones I can recall) are far too humanity friendly in the works of other authors. H.P. originally created a few of them, not to balance out the chaotic evil of the Great Old Ones but rather to add chaotic neutral to the mix. Any depiction of them as helpful for any reason other than their own ends and enjoyment is un-Lovecraftian.

Cthulhu Mythos is all about the creeping insanity, the unseen cults. I disagree with letting anything DG near my work, but that's mainly preference, H.P. never had any organisations (excepting, of course, the raid on Innsmouth), and so neither do I. The works that I like to incorporate are only those that the man himself agreed with, he created Cthulhu Mythos, so his word is law as far as I'm concerned.

Too much of modern stuff is Hastur Mythos (corruption and swat teams), which tends to be more open and warring cults kinda stuff. The Cthulhu-Tech RPG is so much Hastur Mythos that I refuse to play it without heavily altering the timeline.

What is DG? Oh, it's Delta Green, my bad. Alright.

Anyway, I've been reading about the The Other Gods, the old names for the "Outer Gods". You have already heard of this likely (that's why you have Nyarlathotep in your list of creatures), but here's the quote from the Other Gods:

"The other gods! The other gods! The gods of the outer hells that guard the feeble gods of earth!... Look away... Go back... Do not see! Do not see! The vengeance of the infinite abysses... That cursed, that damnable pit... Merciful gods of earth, I am falling into the sky!"

Gods of the Earth, of course, refer to the Great Old Ones.

There is also a novel, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath that deals with them. I know you have Nyarlathotep (who is mentioned as serving the Other Ones) and Yog-Sothoth (whose Wikipedia says is an Outer God, not sure if that's a descion by "Hausur Mythos" though), but I like the idea that there is even a secret that hides behind another secret, so I would like premission to create Entiy and Creature Files for "The Other Gods".
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:08:24 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2009, 12:59:12 pm »

lol can't believe I didn't notice this before but you have the ghasts twice in the entity file and in the creature file.. doh! that's why they arn't working there's a duplicate of the creature. I was wondering whats wrong since I've been playing with ghasts
Nom nom nom

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2009, 06:08:32 pm »

Yep, I noticed it as well earlier. I'm currently playing and hoping to have the TchoTcho attack soon. Where's that damn magma pipe...

Servant Corps: There are the Great Old Ones (Cthulhu, Shubby and their lot), the Outer gods (Azathoth, Yoggie and such) and the Elder Gods (the tame, crappy ones) as far as I know. You can suggest all you like, but those damn hippy gods aren't getting near the mod.

I'm aware of the Dream Quest and it deals with Hypnos, Nodens and Bast at least, but I'm not fond of it. Nodens is kind of ok because he only helps humans if they are helpful to his hunt. Hypnos is less ok, Bast is meh (she cares only for cats. You like cats, she likes you, you don't like cats... not so friendly) I'm not familiar with most of the other Elder Gods, but they all tend towards human-caring.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2009, 06:19:09 pm »

let me know if the Tcho Tcho attack I wanna know the results, I'm hoping for at least 2 dwarf fatalities and a few mangled wound be nice.
Nom nom nom

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2009, 08:05:52 pm »

In the first wave?

Nice.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8