Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building an Aqueduct...  (Read 1665 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Building an Aqueduct...
« on: July 10, 2009, 06:43:14 pm »

Okay, the deal is that I want to build an aqueduct to ferry water from a brook to my fortress.
The brook is in the northeast corner of my map, and my fortress is more or less in the middle.

I plan on building an enclosed pipe out of stone constructions and suspending it in the air. Then, I will use windmills to power a system of pumps, which will bring the water up 5 z-levels to the aqueduct, and transport it (downhill if necessary) to my fortress, where it will pour in from the topmost level to a pool. (Yay waterfall.)

My problem is, how do I get rid of the water?

If I dug a shaft to the bottom of the map, then dug a channel at the bottom of said shaft, would this function as a "bottomless pit" where I could dump all this excess water?

Also, does this overall plan seem sound? Will it work?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Building an Aqueduct...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 06:46:38 pm »

If I dug a shaft to the bottom of the map, then dug a channel at the bottom of said shaft, would this function as a "bottomless pit" where I could dump all this excess water?

That won't work. You can't channel the bottom layer of a map.

Instead you can dig to the edge of the map in a stone layer, smooth the stone, and then carve fortifications. That evidently drains water pretty well.

I'd still recommend placing several safety levers and floodgates at several points in your system in the event that everything doesn't work quite out as planned.

You'll run out of water from your brook, if you care.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:49:51 pm »

I thought that brooks had an unlimited supply of water...?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

nymersic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:56:21 pm »

Okay, the deal is that I want to build an aqueduct to ferry water from a brook to my fortress.
The brook is in the northeast corner of my map, and my fortress is more or less in the middle.

I plan on building an enclosed pipe out of stone constructions and suspending it in the air. Then, I will use windmills to power a system of pumps, which will bring the water up 5 z-levels to the aqueduct, and transport it (downhill if necessary) to my fortress, where it will pour in from the topmost level to a pool. (Yay waterfall.)

My problem is, how do I get rid of the water?

Also, does this overall plan seem sound? Will it work?

And if you want to dump your water out the bottom of the map, need to find a bottomless pit/chasm/underground river.  The square will be labeled "Chasm".  Chasms are found at the end of all underground rivers (as far as I know), which are what the rivers empty into.

I like making a waterfall that goes from as high as I can get, and falls through the top of my mountain, straight through my big central hall/meeting place, and all the way down to the bottom, then have it empty through a chasm.  At the bottom I leave a place for a few z-levels of a pool to gather, which I use for a couple wells which I place back up in my meeting chamber.  Supposedly, dwarves like deeper wells more.  This makes them pretty freakin' deep.

I like it when it calls all my things "completely sublime" :D

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 07:16:41 pm »

I thought that brooks had an unlimited supply of water...?

Oh, sorry this caused any confusion. They do. I just meant that the rest of the brook would be dry because the pumps will be sucking up too much water from the brook.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 08:46:52 pm »

Find a way to channel the water back to the brook, to form a complete water cycle.

Code: [Select]
WWWWWW
W    .
W    .
W    .
W    .
BCCCCC
B - brook
C - Channel
W - Aquaduct
. - waterfall hole

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 11:37:52 pm »

Find a way to channel the water back to the brook, to form a complete water cycle.

Code: [Select]
WWWWWW
W    .
W    .
W    .
W    .
BCCCCC
B - brook
C - Channel
W - Aquaduct
. - waterfall hole

For water removal, I would suggest a perpetual-motion machine powered array of pumps to move the water back up to 6 z-levels above your fortress, along another pipe that drops the water back into the brook. Either that or just recirculate the water, the dwarves won't really care.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 12:25:12 am »

Just because nobody's mentioned it, watch out for water pressure.  If your aqueduct is several z-levels above the fortress, it generates a lot of pressure that could easily flood most of the map if topography allows.  Just don't forget to cancel the pressure when the water reaches your fortress...or you're going to be having a lot of watery Fun.

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 03:58:00 am »

Just because nobody's mentioned it, watch out for water pressure.  If your aqueduct is several z-levels above the fortress, it generates a lot of pressure that could easily flood most of the map if topography allows.  Just don't forget to cancel the pressure when the water reaches your fortress...or you're going to be having a lot of watery Fun.
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Fun
Fun.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 11:51:53 am »

I favor aquifer maps because they allow you to create and get rid of as much water as you want whenever you want to.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 01:49:16 pm »

Oh, sorry this caused any confusion. They do. I just meant that the rest of the brook would be dry because the pumps will be sucking up too much water from the brook.

Will Rivers do the same?  I have three rivers meeting at a nexus point in my map, and one is a 6 z level waterfall into that pool, if I drain from there, I hope I'll be good?  I don't want my rivers to run dry... but I also want to run the water off the map for what I am trying to do.
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 04:18:44 pm »

Will Rivers do the same?  I have three rivers meeting at a nexus point in my map, and one is a 6 z level waterfall into that pool, if I drain from there, I hope I'll be good?  I don't want my rivers to run dry... but I also want to run the water off the map for what I am trying to do.

If you've got those other two rivers flowing in, you should be fine.