Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wall obsession  (Read 3098 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Wall obsession
« on: July 10, 2009, 04:16:34 pm »

I appear to be obsessed with walling my entire dwarven community off from the outside world. Unfortunately there's always the 3-tile-wide entry for caravans, but that's ok (I guard it with dogs :D) I know there must be other ways of protecting my fledgling (or not so fledgling) fortresses, but none of them really entertain me. Please, spark my imagination with something non magma based that I can use. I like traps, but they can't be used on roads, and roads are necessary to keep the way clear for caravans.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wall obsession
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 04:20:14 pm »

Your honestly in such a forested area that you HAVE to have a road? tress take ~1 and a half years to grow, and will get trampled by the caravans and any dwarves that go outside ( you can arrage them to walk along it by setting the area as a high traffic designation, d->o)

But you could always just keep a 10 square or so area infront of your fortress roadless, i'm sure it wouldn't be that much hassle to chop the trees down in that area every year or so. This then gives you lots of space for traps.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 04:25:47 pm »

Double-gate entry with pressure plates past the first gate that trigger a drawbridge.

I'm planning something like that for my current fortress. Entrance will be across a bottomless pit, but I will also have an alternate deathtrap entrance normally closed off by floodgates. As the pressure plate is tripped the bridge will retract and the floodgates will open funneling invaders into an arena where my Champions will give them a proper greeting.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 04:39:49 pm »

You can build a "road" with a constructed floor. You can then put traps on the constructed floor. It will look identical to a stone block road, too.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 05:03:12 pm »

You can always build a depot in the middle of nowhere and sorround it will A wall and a moat with a draw bridge, and build the broker's house right next to it.
Hello Hunam

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »

If walls are giving you trouble because they're not giving you trouble, you could always add more entrances and exits to your wall. Will make defending your fort slightly more interesting, especially if you don't have too many dwarves in the military.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 05:09:06 pm »

I'm thinking of switching to constructed floors in places myself for this same reason. My outer wall is exapanding quite a bit and eventually I hope for the road to be the only way in or out, and that's gonna mean replacing it with floors for my peace of mind.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 07:05:20 pm »

I'd suggest a wall..Made of drawbridges that when left in the normal flat state will act just like any floor, but link them all to a single lever, and pull the lever when something happens to turn all the bridges into a wall around your fort. To prevent megabeasts from destroying the bridges, a 1-2 tile moat under them and 1 line of cages/trap of your choice in front of that. (I suggest weapon traps with 10/10 masterwork weapons, it's like a dwarven nuke)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 07:36:39 pm »

hmm. how do I construct a floor? that has not been something i've seen around...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 07:40:10 pm »

hmm. how do I construct a floor? that has not been something i've seen around...

b-C-f

Case is important.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Calculus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 07:40:32 pm »

b, shift-c, f

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 07:41:23 pm »

Egad! cheers.

P.S. how do you make ceilings? The humans have high rise apartments and I want them as well :D

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 07:45:47 pm »

Egad! cheers.

P.S. how do you make ceilings? The humans have high rise apartments and I want them as well :D
you could make a scaffolding from the side of the building if your don't want anything on the roof, or you can build stairs to the roof from the top floor
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 07:49:02 pm »

youwhat?

Letters and numbers please. I can understand commands/menus.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 08:12:47 pm »

A ceiling is just a floor one z level up.  Build stairs or a ramp to reach the higher z level and floor it over.  Remove your stairs or ramp when done.  There ya go, ceiling.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: [1] 2