Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Meeting Halls, animals, and a realization...  (Read 2477 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Meeting Halls, animals, and a realization...
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:17:29 pm »

I was reading another thread and come to the realization that I've been letting my animals run around free.  Then I realized that they congregate in the meeting hall which is the main dining hall... and they reproduce.  So do my dwarfs have to put up with dogs/horses/donkeys mounting each other while they eat?  :o
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Teckno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting Halls, animals, and a realization...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:20:44 pm »

yes, and I do believe the dwarfs actually enjoy it that way  ;D

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 01:30:11 pm »

I was reading another thread and come to the realization that I've been letting my animals run around free.  Then I realized that they congregate in the meeting hall which is the main dining hall... and they reproduce.  So do my dwarfs have to put up with dogs/horses/donkeys mounting each other while they eat?  :o

That's fresh new meat for the butcher, so I'd think they enjoy it.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:58:54 pm »

No, they don't mount each other.  All reproducing creatures in DF, be it horse, carp, dwarf, or elf, reproduce via spores.

But they do have to put up with creature giving birth while they each dinner.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 04:09:31 pm »

No, they don't mount each other.  All reproducing creatures in DF, be it horse, carp, dwarf, or elf, reproduce via spores.

But they do have to put up with creature giving birth while they each dinner.

I think that's sort of abstracted, too, like in a sitcom. Mother goes off screen for a moment, you hear a yell or two, and then, three month old baby!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 04:17:00 pm »

Not to mention when a dwarf gives birth in the middle of heated combat.  That's gotta be a bit of a distraction.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:17:37 pm »

Come to think of it, I do remember reading about spore based reproduction but it never sinks in due to it's far off nature (concerning mammalian mating habits...)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 04:18:03 pm »

On and under the tables/chairs, no less.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 04:18:11 pm »

Not to mention when a dwarf gives birth in the middle of heated combat.  That's gotta be a bit of a distraction.

No my good sir, that is an unexpected weapon!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 05:10:23 pm »

I really wish you could forbid cats from having 'fun' by using an orders command(dwarves keep cats from mating, 0% chance of a cataplosion!)
Hello Hunam

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 05:30:43 pm »

I really wish you could forbid cats from having 'fun' by using an orders command(dwarves keep cats from mating, 0% chance of a cataplosion!)
There is a command.  It's called a butcher's shop.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »

they somtimes adopt immigrants under my nose, and once the happens twice all hell breaks loose.
Hello Hunam

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 07:38:41 pm »

The second i get any message about anything having children I lock the kids up in a cage made especially for that. When they grow up the dogs are let out and trained, while everything else just stays in the cage until it's dinner time. Cats are never let out, unless a previous cat has died and I need my vermin hunters :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 10:07:16 pm »

No, animals in DF do not reproduce by spores.

You can lock the female animal, the moment she gets into the fort, in a 1x1 watertight (and hence, airtight) room, and if it's not called a "cage" (or terrarium), she can still give birth.

No, creatures in DF get jiggy via high-frequency radio waves.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 10:38:14 pm »

No, animals in DF do not reproduce by spores.

You can lock the female animal, the moment she gets into the fort, in a 1x1 watertight (and hence, airtight) room, and if it's not called a "cage" (or terrarium), she can still give birth.

No, creatures in DF get jiggy via high-frequency radio waves.

So, what happens when the dwarves eventually invent radio?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.
Pages: [1] 2