Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: King has gone stark raving mad  (Read 1906 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
King has gone stark raving mad
« on: July 10, 2009, 04:53:17 am »

So, I struck adamantine. And, lo and behold, a king arrived. Thing is, I didn't really have anything appropriate, so I started slowly royalising a noble room, befitting a king. Unfortunately, he had been staying in a free immigrant room, which are... somewhat spartan. I noticed that once or twice he was throwing a tantrum but said to myself, hey, he'll be all right, besides, any moment now my royal chamber packfull of golden furniture will be ready.

Just to take precautions, though, I move the king beforehand. Sure, he's complaining of not having "royal" and just "splendid", but hey, he'll get over it.

At some point, I finish replacing the furniture with golden. And that's when I notice it... His Royal Majesty is running around in other nobles' rooms with a blue ! mark. What in the...? "Is running around babbling!".

Oh dear.

So, my question is, was this it? Will a new king get inaugurated? Is our dwarven civilization doomed, and if so, what'll happen?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: King has gone stark raving mad
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 04:57:12 am »

I'm relativly sure you will not recieve a new king. but hey, all the king is is just another guy who does nothing but demand you make him useless items.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:01:10 am »

No, no, I don't care about the king himself, it's just that I wasted all my gold constructing his useless 100 chests and 98 weapon racks :(

And I'm still concerned about the civilization as a whole...
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:32:55 am »

well about the gold, if its made from bars then melt it, if its stone then your going to have to deal with it.

as for the civilization, he's just a useless person, it won't have any significant effect on the game
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 07:37:07 am »

what Kalida is so indelicately trying to say is that he'll be fine.  Unless you have to put him down because he starts trying to hurt his subjects. 
Demon of Darkness

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 08:36:56 am »

what Kalida is so indelicately trying to say is that he'll be fine.

At least until he starves to death or dies of thirst, given that the insane don't realize they need to eat or drink.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 08:44:39 am »

I decided to screw the king, and accommodate the mayor in the shiny room. At least HE's from the original 7, and has been reelected mayor god knows how many times, plus he didn't try to start a fistfight with my o7 miner. Stupid king...

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:28:53 am »

The king is the third best noble, Dungeon master being the first, philosopher the second.
Kings never demand anything, and they only require that you give them royal rooms, which are also very easy to get. hah

But no, your king will never be replaced, and eventually your civ will dwindle and die out.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 11:16:41 am »

No, no, I don't care about the king himself, it's just that I wasted all my gold constructing his useless 100 chests and 98 weapon racks :(

Did you really make 200 pieces of furniture for his room? For future reference artifacts are a very easy way to bring a room up to "royal" quality.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 11:36:35 am »

Did you really make 200 pieces of furniture for his room? For future reference artifacts are a very easy way to bring a room up to "royal" quality.

Making the room large and smoothing/engraving everything helps as well, I believe.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 11:43:50 am »

Considering the circumstances, it's possible that he didn't have any artifacts.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 12:01:17 pm »

Oh no, no, I had about 10 artifacts. Though, all but one of them were in the vein of "Mudstone Ring", "Mudstone Scepter", "Mudstone Mug" and such. There was one coffer which I stuck there, but it only helped one of his 4 rooms.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 12:13:34 pm »

Oh no, no, I had about 10 artifacts. Though, all but one of them were in the vein of "Mudstone Ring", "Mudstone Scepter", "Mudstone Mug" and such. There was one coffer which I stuck there, but it only helped one of his 4 rooms.
Ah yes, I love the crappy craft artifacts. :/

You could always make a 'suite' type room and overlap every room on the artifact. If it's high enough quality it'll make them all Royal. I did this once for ALL my nobles sharing one bigass room. The only problem was the king got all bitter about the lesser nobles having as good a room as him and went mad anyway.

damug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 12:57:52 pm »

So if the King dies no one new rises to the position and the civ dies out.  Shame.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 01:24:19 pm »

Ah yes, I love the crappy craft artifacts. :/

You could always make a 'suite' type room and overlap every room on the artifact. If it's high enough quality it'll make them all Royal. I did this once for ALL my nobles sharing one bigass room. The only problem was the king got all bitter about the lesser nobles having as good a room as him and went mad anyway.

Mhm, yeah, there was indeed that, too. I wondered briefly what was the deal with the king getting angry with "a lesser's something pretentions". Well, sucks to be him, it seems. And besides, the guy disguised himself as a peasant, honestly, what does he expect?

Well, I'll know for the next time to start preparing a royal room as soon as I find adamantine.

Oh, and a slight sidetrack, why does everyone start lusting after the adamantine strands? My moody dwarves immediately switched from "Pathetic Mudstone Amulet in Honour of Masterful Engraving" to "Pathetic Adamantine Ring in Honour of Masterful Engraving". Well, at least I tripled my fortress' worth in about 10 minutes.
Pages: [1] 2