Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Galactic Arms Race  (Read 2862 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Galactic Arms Race
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:26:00 am »

http://gar.eecs.ucf.edu/index.php?content=overview

Saw this over at Offworld and thought it would interest some folks. Described as a spaceship Diablo, it features an AI driven system that constantly develops new weapons.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Arms Race
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:46:24 am »

Spaceship Diablo...but it's not turnbased...how could you call it dialbo then?

Anyway, downloading.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 01:49:24 am »

Diablo...isn't turnbased...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:02:37 am »

Well, I always assumed it was, just that the turns was so fast that it looked like the battle flowed smoothly. hat I mean is:

You play as Bob. You tell Bob to attack Dialbo. You see Bob and Dialbo battles. Bob attacks Dialbo first and does 5 damage. Then Dialbo attacks Bob and does 6 damage. Meanwhile, you leave your computer while you decide to eat a full course meal, planning to come back 1 hour later when the battle is complete.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:37:50 am »

Ah, I see. You were playing the '96 TBRPG game "dIalbo", published and developed by Buzzard Entertainment.

It's a common mistake.  I suggest you go play Diablo to rectify the situation.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 07:00:35 am »

Is it bad that I enjoyed dIalbo more than Diablo?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:03:50 am »

Buzzard was a decent company. They just didn't develop their flagship games as much as making other games. Whorl of Warmcraft always seemed promising.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 07:13:18 am »

Buzzard was a decent company. They just didn't develop their flagship games as much as making other games. Whorl of Warmcraft always seemed promising.

Yeah but I always felt like Whorl was just a cash cow and massive middle finger to fans of the original Warmcroft series. Especially when Wrath of the Lunch king was released. Then it just got ridiculous.

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 07:50:10 am »

I have heard that Buzzard is secretly developing a series of sequels for their much-loved Storecraft universe. It looks just like the first Storecraft, right down to the trolley design and shelf layout. On a more relevant note, posted link doesn't work, and there aren't any mirrors. Pity.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 08:49:39 am »

Whatever happened to that game... what was it called?  Wormcroft Adventures: Lord of the Clams?  Or something like that.  The adventure game.  It looked really cool, then it vanished.  Weren't they going to make a Storecraft third person stealther or something too?  Shame...

So what are people's thoughts on the upcoming Dialbo Tres?  People keep complaining that it's too dark and that they drained all the color from everything, but I think it really doesn't look that bad.  I mean, aside from those ridiculously large knee pads on everything.  It's like Buzzard has some sort of knee fetish.  The Dialbo series really didn't have that much color before to begin with.

E.G. Dialbo Dos Screenshot
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:52:55 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 08:59:01 am »

Back to GAR.

What makes it so special?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 09:11:35 am »

I like how no-one really talked about the damn game already.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 09:15:01 am »

I like how no-one really talked about the damn game already.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 11:05:25 am »

The fact that new weapons are generated by your actions. If you like firing your weapons in a certain style, new weapons are generated via that style.

Something the DF fans would enjoy. I played this game though, and I dislike it entirely. I don't really know why, maybe it's just too close to other MMORPGs for comfort, and I loath MMORPGs.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 12:13:10 pm »

Back to GAR.

After sinking about an hour into it:  Nothing whatsoever.  It's on the mediocrest mediocre edge of late-90s commercial shooters.  The whole "you are roaming freely, not following a track" actually makes the game less interesting.

Okay, so it's like this.  Every time you blow up an enemy base or a giant blob, it takes one or more of your weapons, rejiggers the neural net, and produces a knockoff that works a little different.  You can hold three weapons at once; you have to swap a weapon out to pick up a new one.  When you sell a found weapon for cash, you get a standard "three parallel shots" weapon to replace it.

Which would be kind of cool, except that it's a lot like other games where you can change your weapons except that:
- You don't even have a secondary weapon or anything, you can only be firing one at a time.  No missiles, no combinations.
- Most of the weapons SUCK SO HARD and are totally worthless.
- Different weapons all have the same fire rate and damage, the only difference is the shot spread.
- The free-ranging nature of the game, and the ability to shoot in 360 degrees, means that a weapon which fires backwards is not even different than one which shoots forward.
- You can't upgrade your ship meaningfully--you can buy upgrades that boost -all- ship components at once, but all ships are just scaled versions of each other.
- You can spend XP to enhance certain ship systems, and reassign these whenever you like, but it's balanced very badly.
- Enemy ship AI, not very good.
- Pirates, aliens, and giant outer space blobs all aim for you and ignore each other...I guess that's standard, but in a free ranging game, disappointing.  No vulnerabilities or anything--your weapons have different colors but they are just for show.
- Quest system.  Hey, go kill ten pirates in this sector.  Now go ten aliens in the same sector.  No, you can't take them in any given order, or have more than one at once, just do what I told you.

As a proof of concept, the weapon spread thingy is interesting but it doesn't improve gameplay at ALL.  If the neural nets could tweak fire speed or damage, or if it was a track game and not a free range game, it would be more fun.

Did I mention that the default weapon you get when you sell stuff you pick up is the best weapon in the entire game, with better range and better ability to focus your fire than anything you could find?  That's why it sucks.  That, and if you find an alternate weapon that is actually good in some circumstances...well, now it takes up a slot so you can't haul as many weapons back to sell.  And if you sell it because it doesn't fit your tastes right now, you'll probably never see it again.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2