Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At peace with goblins???  (Read 1533 times)

ChicagoSound

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
At peace with goblins???
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:19:14 am »

My brother just got me into this game, and I started my second fortress the other day.  To my surprise, around autumn of year one I encountered a goblin liaison from the Mountainhomes wishing to trade with me.  To investigate my brother had me send out reclaim parties at their dark towers to try to slaughter us some goblins, but they didn't attack at all, even when I abandoned.  Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? ???

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: At peace with goblins???
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:22:06 am »

yeah, when you embark on a dark tower they're friendly but when you get your first siege they turn hostile
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 01:28:00 am »

Your goblin liaison likely resided at a dark fortress when the dwarves conquered it. He joined the civ to avoid elimination, and then he somehow worked his way to become the outpost liaison.

And the friendly goblins at embark is a known bug.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:10:15 am »

Your goblin liaison likely resided at a dark fortress when the dwarves conquered it. He joined the civ to avoid elimination, and then he somehow worked his way to become the outpost liaison.

And the friendly goblins at embark is a known bug.

...That is awesome.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:43:47 am »

To prevent their entire population from turning on you during the next siege, wall up the entrances to the dark fortress and/or undermine them and collapse the entire structure. Sadly you cannot just turn on them like a rabid jungle cat at your leisure.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 02:45:55 am »

To prevent their entire population from turning on you during the next siege, wall up the entrances to the dark fortress and/or undermine them and collapse the entire structure. Sadly you cannot just turn on them like a rabid jungle cat at your leisure.
yet...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 07:12:08 am »

Even better, go to the black fortress in adventurer mode, kill all the goblins and then take the gloriously sculptured obsidian palaces for yourself. Maximum efficiency!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 08:01:32 am »

I was surprised, initially shocked, and even now occasionally purturbed to the (at that time) "Goblin Hamlet Liaison", in the current game.  But, as with you, he arrives with the usual Autumnal trading convoy from Mountainhome and is friendly.

I didn't embark upon an existing/extinct goblin locale (SFAIK, and I think I should by now), and have two Goblin civilisations that each seem to send simultaneous raiding parties from opposite sides of the map, one of which regularly features Elven guards (who I've dealt with in a number of ways).  My spring trading with the elven caravan goes on unabated, though they haven't yet complained about the deforestation I've caused, so that might equally be an oversight of some kind. ;)

Anyway, I'm chalking it up to Stockholm Syndrome and/or turncoats, as suggested.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 08:19:56 am »

Yeah, my current game also has a goblin as the mountainhome liason. Its a little weird having all my trading text in pink because a goblin's doing the talking.

Still not as weird as getting a tentacle demon or whatever as your king.  ;D

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 03:57:46 pm »

I've got this goblin hamlet liason and so far i've only been attacked by single kobolds thiefs (starting year 5), never goblins.  Do you think I will eventually see large attacks?

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 04:30:41 pm »

Get the orc mod and you'll never see an end to attacks.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 04:32:16 pm »

The goblin hamlet liaison is from your civ. Dwarves from your civ conquered a few goblin fortresses and one of the conquered goblins rose to the position of outpost liaison.

This is unrelated to whether goblins will attack you or not. Most likely they will.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.