Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Do you actually 'play' Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 3370 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you actually 'play' Dwarf Fortress?
« on: July 10, 2009, 01:08:20 am »

I'm not a 'generate a world and start playing' type of person and I don't start any fortress without having some crazy idea in mind whether it be a challenge, a mega-project or a theme. A normal fortress where you attain wealth and keep your dwarves alive just seemed so boring to me after getting to the point where I could manage it.

Playing games in ways that were never intended is a habit of mine and i'm wondering if anyone here actually plays Dwarf Fortress 'normally'? i.e. Attain wealth, defend your fortress from invaders and provide for your dwarves without any crazy schemes.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Do you actually 'play' Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 01:19:13 am »

i usually do that, only sometimes when i get bored i'll do somthing, drown elves, kill babies, or vary rarely just build some sort of death machine that ends my fort in the most dramatic way possible to see if i can continue to survive, or just to end it...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 01:20:30 am »

I never got too far in Dwarf fortress so I usualy just play to play.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:24:36 am »

Once you get the hang of the regular game, it's very difficult to derive any pleasure from it. It's just too boring. I played like that for a while, and now when I look at people's fortresses who are in that stage of the game, I think, "Ick! Ugly! Too much scarring of the land! No aesthetic design whatsoever! Ack!"

Needless to say, I am now most interested in taking on challenges and the construction of megaprojects. I haven't had a lot of time to do that, unfortunately.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 01:39:35 am »

Well I guess most of my games end becuase I get bored, and I usualy just delete the file and start a new one on a new world. I cant say I remember one fortress of mine that acctualy "died off"

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 01:46:40 am »

"Ick! Ugly! Too much scarring of the land! No aesthetic design whatsoever! Ack!"
It's true.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 01:57:58 am »

I enjoy playing DF, but at the moment there isn't much endgame material to play around with, so i expend my DF time creating odd thingamagigs and megaprojects.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 02:11:21 am »

I do 'play' DF, but usually, I start with some kind play such as having a huge food industry from the beginning (That's what I'm doing now).

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:15:23 am »

Well I guess I have attempted to make a few "survival" fortresses with modded enemys (or just huge wolf packs) to see how long I can survive with 7 dwarves and no migrants.

Usualy they end shortly after they start in disappointment becuase of lack of chalenge or all the enemys are clustered in one corner.

But I almost never do anything special, where do you guys get your ideas?

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 02:24:58 am »

i found the orc mod was a great addon to keep interest, but i had to downtune them beacuse they for some reason 7 wrestlers would cut down 10 legendary swordsmen (with armor) in like 10 seconds...
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 02:37:12 am »

It seems that most forts cease to be interesting once they reach a certain 'stable' point. That said, I like to play the game "normally" with difficult conditions, like hostile embark areas and mods that make the enemies tougher. Sometimes once I get a fort stable I'll start a megaproject.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 02:39:57 am »

I think the sandbox element is as important as the "standard" gameplay. Sure, you can play it as if it was "Sim Dwarf", so to speak, and limit yourself to keeping a balanced economy (in this case producing enough moneys to stock the stuff your moody dwarves might need, and fulfill mandates), build your lodgings, and your defenses. But on top of that you can, for example, build a pyramid, or whatever else you fancy.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kamrusepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 05:26:07 pm »

It seems that most forts cease to be interesting once they reach a certain 'stable' point. That said, I like to play the game "normally" with difficult conditions, like hostile embark areas and mods that make the enemies tougher. Sometimes once I get a fort stable I'll start a megaproject.

Agreed, but for me the 'stable' point happens within an hour of starting the fort (even with mods that make the enemies tougher) and my megaprojects never work out; they take to much time and effort or they explode in some horrible un-interesting way.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 05:41:43 pm »

I haven't actually run the game in a long time.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 06:57:35 pm »

I haven't actually run the game in a long time.
ditto...
Pages: [1] 2 3