Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Do you actually 'play' Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 3368 times)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you actually 'play' Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 07:00:23 pm »

I always get bored once I get ~120 dwarves, and just quit or seal the fort and have a competition who can stay sane the longest/live the longest. Everyone is civilan, no duties, except champs/nobles, I just let the hammerer dole out his shit until someone tantrums and kills the asshole.

Then they're put down, then everyone goes ape shit and I just scroll around, watching.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 08:41:38 pm »

In singleplayer games, I usually do the most vicious cheating I can to basically learn whatever game I'm playing with no pressure, then slowly remove the cheats that I've been using. Then after all the cheats are gone I start doing stuff that's harder and harder until I'm basically either unable to play or completely bored of the game.

In multiplayer games, I can't do this, of course.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 08:52:40 pm »

Oi, I love havin' them mega forts with 200-300 dwarves, it's sweet.  I just keep playin' the same fort 'till it drops.  Usually get to year 15 before something stupid happens.  (harddrive crashes, etc.)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 10:12:01 pm »

I play it normally.  But then even after a couple years I'm still prone to flood myself with water or magma.  I've discovered I can manage the economy or I can manage the military, doing both requires a bit much in the way of attention.  Hopefully the next release with the military overhaul will make it a bit easier to manage actual squads...  at this point if I want decent patrol coverage I have to use individuals.
Demon of Darkness

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 01:48:08 am »

I Gen play until I accidentally breach the... ehh... bad place, and fail to have a recent save.
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 02:02:04 am »

I get bored of normal fortresses, especially with the FPS rate. My current fortress is more like a human fortress, with stones dragged out of mountains, a tenement, shops, and a condo for nobility. It's even more fun building them in the desert :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 02:12:01 am »

I spend far more time doing mod related stuff than actually playing, and Ive never actually played a fort for more than a few years.

I get a fort going, then think of something else to add, and then make a new world to try it out, and the cycle repeats.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 08:22:13 am »

I play the game normally, and haven't gotten to the point of earning myself a King yet.  Got close once, but then moved out and didn't take that computer with me.  I figured, "New place, new fortress."

Generally, though, I tend to get frustrated with the FPS drop at around 150 Dwarves.  Even if I have a big project I want to try, the speed of its progression frustrates me so that I effectively ragequit.  Or I decide I want to try something different, like a site with magma, or a chasm, or an underground river.

... And then forget to go looking for those on embark.  D'oh.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 08:35:20 am »

I haven't actually run the game in a long time.
This :(
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 08:40:18 am »

Generally, though, I tend to get frustrated with the FPS drop at around 150 Dwarves
ditto
I hope it will lag less now that I am using the new Opengl version. (If not IŽll popcap to 100 or so).

I also try to take it with a positive mindset, and if it becomes too slow I just lay down a lot of work for my dwarves, and do something else in the meanwhile (hopefully study ORL :p)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 10:42:02 am »

I do. In my current fort, it was a crazy struggle just to get going TO the 'ticking over happily' stage. No wood, and then no caravans for the second year when the humans sieged because their liason died.
And no magma, either, because I hadn't found it.

But then I found the magma pipe, equipped and trained a military, fought off the siege with minimal casualties, and then the dwarf caravan arrived with lots of wood, just as I started churning out copper barrels and bins.
And even managed to save a dwarf who went moody just after they left. He demanded shells, and got the two he needed as people ate the turtles.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 10:46:14 am »

I play it straight, for a while, but then I get to about 80 dwarfs and my FPS goes south, so I do something semi-idiotic and abandon.  I just barely get to see the baron, and usually only get a few seiges before I bail.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 11:02:14 am »

I'm about to start a new fort which is going to be on a Z level rich place with HFS and magma, but first i want a new design for my entrance, i aways do the same thing for the entrance which is creating an entrance hall with the trade depot on it, a door in the back leading to a corridor with the barracks in one side and some office or shooting range in the other :/. Its efficient because during sieges my military dwarves are aways close to the entrance, but i want another design.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Javewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 11:05:17 am »

Right now, I play with a heavily modified version of the Dig Deeper Mod and am trying to survive the first orc invasion. Sitting it out would be boring, so it's either them or me. Without migrants (orcs often invade in the first winter) and even with 6 of 7 starter dwarves being proficient marksdwarves, this is hard enough.
The current engineering goal is to hollow out a mountain and build all structures in a huge cave, as you would normally do on the surface. Obviously, the cavern must be free of rubble and cheating is forbidden.
Plant gathering is modded to near-uselessness and neither surface farming, nor temporary underground farms are allowed.

Lots of self-imposed rules. Makes the game much more challenging.

Alternatively, try a nano-fort (2x2) in evil surroundings. Constant action and lots of fun.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 01:20:37 pm »

I've managed to play my latest fort long enough to get a Baroness and aren't quite out of ideas yet.  I've been building everything inside a screen-sized hexagonal pillar of stone that descends deep into the earth and climbs to the mountaintops.  (Well, bits of it do. Not all of it yet.)  It's like a stone beehive.  There's an outside pump tower and trans-map aqueduct providing constant power to a set of receiving waterwheels to drive millstones.  I'm considering more pumps to raise water higher in the tower to make it more feasibly inhabitable.

I love building huge complex central power systems(main waterwheel farm, powering a pump tower, filling a trans-map aqueduct, trickling through flow regulators, driving a set of receiving waterwheels...)  Very challenging with lots of trial-and-error and Fun involved, I just wish I had more things to do with power beyond moving fluids and driving millstones.  Imagine the possibilities of a bucket-chain belt -- dwarves have buckets, chains, and mechanisms, don't see why they couldn't make one.  Similar things have been used to raise water in ancient times.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:30:34 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 [2] 3