Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]  (Read 12423 times)

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
Re: Shipnet [Community]
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2009, 02:28:40 pm »

Summer 453

1 Hematite 453
I have both received and had to deliver some unexpected news today.  Two of the migrants approached me separately.  One, Lawec Mörulzasit, informed me that he had relocated to Shipnet not because he was a political exile but because he saw our mountain as a sanctuary from the corruption of the mountainhome.  He had heard tales of Ustuth's woodworking and now wants to study as his apprentice.

After I passed that information on to Ustuth and left them to acquaint themselves, I returned to my office and found myself confronted by none other than Delther Gembeard II.  Delther's son had left the mountainhome under the same black social cloud that followed most of the rest of us, and he had opted to follow the path of his father.  He came here.

I hated to do it, but I delivered the news about Delther's death to him, and could do little but watch as he left my office for the barracks where he picked up a stack of bolts and swore to follow the path his father was denied.  I hope this young dwarf will be able to move on eventually, but for now his anger may just oust Olin's control of the militia -- or at least make the truth come out publicly.

3 Hematite 453
Another of these odd personality changes has affected one of the cooks, Urvad.  She's refusing to speak to anyone, and I'm told that the strangest look came over her face just before she wandered away.  It's as though she's hiding something, something big.  But it is difficult to keep secrets in a community as small as ours, and I am confident that we will get to the bottom of this soon.

6 Hematite 453
Urvad has taken over the craftsdwarf's workshop just off the main corridor today, though what she's planning is beyond my comprehension at the moment.  She's taken to sketching down the materials she needs shortly before rushing out to grab them.  However, her sketching is too unclear to give us a clear concept of what she's working on.

On a lighter note, Tekkud has just ascended to the skill of a champion.  Festivities -- alcoholic festivities! -- have been planned as a result.

7 Hematite 453
I must be honest here: I have not a clue what Urvad has begun working on.  The materials she has gathered are sundry and bizarre, ranging from leftover bones to iron, cloth, and stone.  However, she still refuses utterly to communicate with anyone.  We will just have to wait and see what she produces in the end.

14 Hematite 453
I was very pleased this morning to discover that my mandate of crossbow bolts was filled last night.  Now, at last, we have enough bolts to begin training some of the militia properly.

In other news, Urvad has emerged from the workshop holding Ag Avéd, the crown that he has been slaving over for over a week.  This impressive artifact is valued at 44,400 crowns, and I was personally quite pleased to see that the engravings featured the travels of my original band three years ago.  It is a fitting memorial to those we have lost, and to the contributions that they made to the survival of the rest of us.  May the sacrifices of Cerol, Monom, and Lokum never be forgotten.

17 Hematite 453
So far it seems I've done nothing severely wrong as mayor.  An early vote was held, and I've been re-elected.

Additionally, the human traders and guild representative have arrived and are on their way in to conduct their annual business..

19 Hematite 453
The caravan has begun unloading.

Meanwhile, I've ordered a mixed collection of finished goods and our fancier prepared meals moved out to trade with them.

4 Malachite 453
I finished trading with the human caravan a little over a week ago, and in the meantime I've decided that, in light of our shortage, we will not be exporting any doors.

More personally, I'm attempting at the moment to avoid a meeting with Mukca Apugopi, the rather abrasive guild representative from Bekdilbehal.  I'm taking a break from stonecrafting to "update the records," though obviously this entry is my true task.

15 Malachite 453
Unfortunately, with the caravan leaving, there is nothing more I can do to postpone my meeting with Mukca.

I know for certain that he will remain civil at all times, but he is a verminous snake beneath that cool exterior.  Hopefully the meeting will go well enough that the far-kinder merchants will return next year with as many needed supplies.

18 Malachite 453
I'm told that the weather outside is such that if we haven't received any migrants by now, they will not be coming this season.  I choose to believe that this is a good thing, since it means that for now there have been no more exiles.

19 Malachite 453
The meeting with Mukca went surprisingly well.  Neither of us lost any limbs, in other words.  The human caravan is on its way, and with any luck at all, they'll send a new guild representative next year along with their goods.  Unlike Mukca, though, the traders themselves seem quite amicable and dwarf-friendly, and I look forward to their return next year... not to mention the wagons full of supplies.  They seem to deliver more and better goods than even Ast's people most seasons.  I hope that this trend of them bringing us load after load of needed goods continues in the future; they are indeed a kind race despite their larger stature.

24 Malachite 453
Lokum has elatedly informed me today that his search for new recruits into the Fortress Guard has gone well.  And indeed it did, for upon hearing the general recruitment call today, no less than six dwarves immediately signed on.

4 Galena 453
Today marks another momentous event.  I've just heard from Endok that Libash has attained the rank of champion in our militia.  We're holding celebrations later today in his honor.

Meanwhile, one of the metalcrafters, Geshud Nolkol, has given birth to a son.  Their family will of course be included in the festivities and granted a double ration of alcohol as well.

5 Galena 453
My entry yesterday was far more optimistic than the rest of the day turned out.  I was speaking with Libash, giving him my congratulations on his advancement, but then he made the mistake of listing his military accomplishments to me.  He let something slip, something horrible.

Libash Bauxitebeard was the killer, not Olin.  Delther Gembeard died at his hands.  It was genuinely an accident, but I've nonetheless been chasing the wrong lead.  I owe Olin an apology for suspecting her, but she also deserves a reprimand for ordering this information hidden.  Hopefully this fiasco is not a sign of things to come.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:39:09 am by Q-Lok »
Plays Dwarf Fortress when bored.  Is probably bored.

Current fort:
Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]
The story of a band of exiles, removed forcibly from their mountainhome by a corrupt usurper.  Rith Medtobikal seeks to turn his frozen home into a new monument to the true king's line in defiance of Nish Roadreined (the "ignoble noble").

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2009, 07:25:46 pm »

wow wasnt expecting that. how is my guy doing?

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2009, 07:30:40 pm »

Ascubis is actually doing quite well for himself.  I've had the miners doing some rather silly projects like following exactly along veins of various metals, but he's doing his job just fine so far.  He hasn't gotten himself involved in anything crazy yet, which I think is a good sign.

Current fort:
The story of a band of exiles, removed forcibly from their mountainhome by a corrupt usurper.  Rith Medtobikal seeks to turn his frozen home into a new monument to the true king's line in defiance of Nish Roadreined (the "ignoble noble").

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2009, 07:43:52 pm »

Just goes to show, when Libash attacks, his foe's going down, no matter who it is! >:O

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2009, 07:44:54 pm »

He only just *got* a hammer this last season, and I haven't written that yet.  XD  Still, he has a great deal of potential in the military.

Current fort:

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
Re: Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2009, 05:23:35 pm »

For those that haven't had a look recently, I've changed the topic title to something a little more attention-grabbing.  Additionally, the fort has just had a 21-dwarf migrant wave, so there are plenty of free heads up for adoption!

Current fort:

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2009, 12:33:37 am »

Can I have a male Armor/Weaponsmith named Spartan Steelforged?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2009, 01:19:58 am »

Righto, in payment for your kind post, you are now immortalized in the form of Shipnet Dwarf #75.

In totally unrelated news, I really need to update casualties on that list, and soon.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:34:07 am by Q-Lok »

Current fort:

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52:27 am »

I would concur that your title is now more attention grabbing.

I also must say the layout of your fort has inspired me, though you were lucky to find such a sheer cliff face (I've only seen this kind of this once in my personal world gens).

Please allow me to claim Dastot Ablelbomrek, renamed to Dastot Memrut Ablelbomrek, the Bonecarver by profession, who seems to have been a brewer, nurse, mason, and all-round cancellation spammer in your latest screenshots.

I look forward to story developments involving the struggle against said king.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2009, 10:19:57 pm »

EDIT: Whoops, got carried away and hit the wrong button.  Proper reply to follow in this space soon.

Current fort:

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2009, 02:51:17 am »

I think I might be interested in claiming the Dungeon Keeper that was in the first page list of avaliable dwarves.

I think 'Veronica' would be a fitting name. I may add more quirks once I see her info.

^.^ And I shall now go read backposts >.>
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2010, 03:23:26 pm »

Okay.  Made some changes to the list, and set several adoptions up.  Dwarf #16 now possesses a middle name; Dwarf #85 is a walking Archie reference; and Dwarf #84 is as follows, an adoption via e-mail by a friend of mine who is not a member of the forums:

Blaq-Tc  Fergyros
Pronounced (Black-tick   Fair-gear-owe-z)
Siege engineer

She is the daughter of a great metal worker. Her father had been involved in the birth and death of metal. From mining to smithing all the way until it was delivered. He so expert in working he eventually named his daughter after his most beloved metals, Kaunahg-Feag. However after being ordered to make a spoon from mercury he was soon imprisoned and sentenced to hammer strikes. Kaunahg-Feag fled the mountain home and changed her name to Blaq-Tc Fergyros to hide her identity. She is a siege engineer with a detication to the work. Her goal is to make the greatest siege engines ever known and to eventually destroy the noble who ordered her father to make the spoon. She does all her work in the name of the “dead metals.”(ie. Her father)

Kaunahg-Feag
K, Au, Na, Hg, - Fe, Ag
Potassium, silver, sodium, mercury, - Iron, silver
Tc – technetium

You can go ahead and modify the story a little to make it fit in but that is the dwarf I would like. If you need to change her profession that is fine to but I think I included everything. Also she is claimed by Cha0l0rd.

I've also updated casualties and non-adopts on the list.

Current fort:

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2010, 02:21:52 pm »

Autumn 453

1 Limestone 453
With the coming of the new season, I feel it prudent to give an account of the projects and improvements currently under way.  We have built a rudimentary archery range next to the rock pile, and the plans to expand the room far further have already been laid out.

Additional storage space has been carved just northwest of the well, since what little room we had was quickly getting overrun by goods and furniture.  It has filled in very rapidly, and the supply of goods seems not to have diminished.

North of the main corridor, the bedroom situation is becoming somewhat concerning, so I've ordered the addition of another wing.

The magma forges and smelters are up and running again after the magma flowed too low last season during the expansion, which has ended in the successful filling of the triple-sized reservoir.  The southern section has been expanded as well to hold all the loose bars and gemstones that have been cluttering the tunnels and smelters up.

Finally, I've also ordered a large space cut out on the main level, in the hopes that we will eventually be able to grow tower-cap mushrooms.  With luck, we will finally be able to eliminate our dependence on Roadreined and the humans for our wood -- eventually.

5 Limestone 453
One of the engravers was caught slinking away from his work without warning.  A planter attending to the farms saw him get a strange look in his eyes before he started walking away from the engraving he was working on.  When asked where he was going by a hauler that was passing through, he said nothing and pushed past.  Perhaps this is another of the bizarre fancies that have produced our most valuable artifacts; I can only hope that this turns out so well.

6 Limestone 453
Rovod has taken over a craftsdwarf's workshop and begun gathering his materials.  This seems to bode well, considering outcomes of the past few of these projects.

7 Limestone 453
Apparently Rovod managed to gather all his materials yesterday, and contented himself with only one obsidian boulder and some imported leopard leather.  We'll see what comes out of this.

10 Limestone 453
I've received word that Rovod has produced his finished product, an obsidian scepter named Rulushkebul îton Assar -- Splashsparkles the Hall of Circumstance in the common language.  I have yet to examine it personally, but I am told that the scepter contains an image of Erush Clasptruss coming to our mountain.  This would be less unusual, except that Rovod and Erush have never to my knowledge never spoken face to face since arriving.  Perhaps we could be seeing a hidden admiration coming to the surface.

Meanwhile, Rovod has gone back to his work on the walls in the main corridors without a word.

16 Limestone 453
The caravan from the mountainhome arrived somewhat earlier than I had expected -- yesterday -- but nonetheless in a timely fashion.

The goblins have attacked in their seasonal tradition, and Libash's squad is already out dealing with it, with the aid of the caravan guards.

21 Limestone 453
The militia took care of the goblins quite handily thanks to the assistance provided by the caravan, and the last of the goblins succumbed to our forces yesterday.  Smunstu Forkedmonster, the last remaining goblin, identified himself as our would-be "living doom" (in his own words), moments before Babkadol earned her first kill.

I have planned a celebration with her in mind as soon as my work is finished at the depot.

5 Sandstone 453
I've been taking stock of the goods Ast's caravan brought us this year, and I came upon something interesting.  A barrel, made from tower-cap wood, with more adornment than I had initially realized.  It seems one of the craftsdwarves at the mountainhome heard tell of Ag Avéd, the Daub of Clobbering -- the crown fashioned by Urvad this past summer.  I do not understand how this is possible, since we have had no contact with home between the completion of Ag Avéd and the arrival of the caravan.  Perhaps whatever craftsdwarf created this barrel was a friend to Urvad before her exile to our volcanic home.  Or perhaps the same inspiration took both of them simultaneously.  Who can say for certain, only Enam knows.  Regardless, it is good to know we have allies at the mountainhome, especially if Roadreined has not discovered their motives.

8 Sandstone 453
My mind is made up.  The first task of the expanded forges will be to use our most valuable ore, aluminum, to create a memorial fitting to those dwarves that have so nobly abandoned their lives for the sake of this fortress.  It will be some time yet before that memorial is properly completed -- perhaps even years -- but at the very least their likenesses shall be emblazoned on our minds ever more completely in the form of shining statues.

16 Sandstone 453
The way is clear.  With the merchants departing, and the tower-cap farm nearly finished, it is time to begin the memorial.

A large space has been set aside on the plans for this project and work is set to begin within the week.

For the throne, long live the throne!

10 Timber 453
Mukca has been skulking around for months now, presumably composing the import contracts, but until today I saw no evidence of it.  I had just spent the time avoiding him until he decided to leave... that decision finally arrived today.

The list of requests from the humans is nothing so terrible, just cloth and gemstones, plus some assorted luxury items.  Now that Mukca is finally out of my hair, I can finally meet with Ast properly.

11 Timber 453
Ast wasted no time approaching me as soon as Mukca was out of the way.

He and I have much to discuss...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:49:00 pm by Q-Lok »

Current fort:

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »

nice i still like this games more than any other that i've read... or tooken part in.

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2010, 11:44:39 pm »

Winter 453

1 Moonstone 453
With the beginning of our third winter, I find it prudent to include an overview of current projects.

The crafting hall and stone stocks have been completed and several workshops are being constructed there to make use of the enormous number of boulders the miners have excavated.

Meanwhile, some native silver was discovered in the wall of the now-complete tower-cap farming room, and was subsequently mined out.

The forging project's expansion is effectively complete, though the walls and floor are still unsmoothed.

And in the southeastern region of the fortress, a room for my project has been mapped out and is awaiting construction, though what exactly this project is must remain as yet unrevealed -- even to the others in this mountain, lest any who have come here retain any loyalty to Roadreined.

7 Moonstone 453
Today, I have decided that we need more doors.  The construction effort is already on as it should be, but I thought as my first official mandate I would ask something achievable, rather than the usual impossible demands of nobles.  With this decision, I hope to set a precedent for Shipnet's governance in the future, and to ensure that those who follow me will make reasonable demands of the populace they lead.

17 Moonstone 453
With the quick success of my last mandate, I've decided that this road of positive enforcement is the right one, at least for now.  Endok tells me that morale among the artisans and craftsdwarves is much better now that they feel they can work towards achievable goals.  So in continuing this new tradition, I've decided that (in the spirit of a certain legendary expedition) we will be retaining any and all black bronze items we accumulate, at least for now.

Additionally, I'm getting a little concerned about the breeding animals taking up far more space loitering in the hallways than we can afford, so I've ordered several of them to be caged in the crafting hall.

18 Moonstone 453
My project has been marked out for digging on our maps.

I can only hope our work befits the line of King Roughlances, in the end.

21 Moonstone 453
Datan Likotsulus has met his end today.

Velkalal, or "Linedmelt," is the name given to the polar bear that killed him.  I've ordered the entire military to the scene to avenge our friend.  Idar Alnis seems especially eager today, though I suspect this is bloodlust rather than vengeance showing its face.

24 Moonstone 453
My old friend Dastot has thrown a party in memory of Datan, and in celebration of Velkalal's death.

Idar Alnis is regaling the citizens with the story of his victory, with a decidedly gory twist.  It seems well within his character, really, though the gruesomeness has actually entranced many of the younger dwarves and migrants who do not know him as well.

Idar Alnis' story began at his dispatch to the ridge, and wove his tale of battle and glory masterfully.  He told us of breaking Velkalal's arm in hand-to-paw combat, and of cleaving the monstrous ursine in half with his steel axe.  He even showed off the bloodstained blade for the crowd.  Such acts as these are no small feat, but Idar Alnis' thirst for blood knows no boundary nor limit.  Thankfully he is mostly reined in by the commander, Olin.

14 Opal 453
One of the engravers has disappeared somewhere.  Were it not for the work she was supposed to be doing at the time, I truthfully would not have noticed.  One of the guards stopped by to let me know, which I suppose is fortunate as this dwarf has made few friends since arriving last year.

24 Opal 453
Three days ago, the engraver I wrote of recently took over one of the craftsdwarf's workshops tasked with clearing the forging room of excess stone.

She grabbed two boulders of granite from the construction floor and then took some pink garnets and a turtle shell from the main level before starting her work.  Evidently we have another "mood" in our mountain.

Just today, this dwarf approached my office and asked for her granite toy boat to be appraised, and to my shock it was worth easily more than 28,000 crowns!

The dwarf who created this remarkable artifact, named Damolsebsúr Zuntîr Idräth, finally introduced herself to me after I gave her my appraisal.  Her name is "Tombpeak," or Rakustilrom, and it seems she had appeared with our first group of migrants and had somehow avoided meeting with me before now.

9 Obsidian 453
We have had two birthdays, one yesterday and one today.  Tun Nikotreg and Goden Kolbubnus are both up and walking around the fortress without their respective mothers as escorts, at last.  I believe it is time at last to throw another party!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:08:07 am by Q-Lok »

Current fort:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6