Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]  (Read 12427 times)

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
Re: Shipnet [Community]
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 10:32:38 am »

You're probably right about the castle thing, I'm not exactly up to date on how common some of the "standard" megaprojects are.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 12:07:22 pm »

Dwarfs!  I want one!

Looks like you have a lot of glassmakers.  I'll take one.  If you have sand, he or she will remain a glassmaker.  Call him/her "Rakustilrom".
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 11:36:47 am »

Right, Dwarf #14 is yours, and Tombpeak is her name (female is okay, right?).
Plays Dwarf Fortress when bored.  Is probably bored.

Current fort:
Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]
The story of a band of exiles, removed forcibly from their mountainhome by a corrupt usurper.  Rith Medtobikal seeks to turn his frozen home into a new monument to the true king's line in defiance of Nish Roadreined (the "ignoble noble").

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 08:14:40 pm »

Autumn 452

1 Limestone 452
With the completion of the well, I have grown impatient regarding our magma project.  I called for one of our new engineers to go finish hooking up the floodgate system's lever, but at the time I couldn't remember his name.  He kindly corrected me, of course, telling me his name was Ducim Rootstockades, but apparently my nickname for him was overheard by the other mechanics, and Ducim is now the designated Lever Boy for the fortress.

In the meantime, he has kindly finished connecting the lever per my instructions.

10 Limestone 452
Now that the fortress has a bit of downtime at last, I've organized a party at the well, celebrating our success!

Of course, when I got there I discovered that no one had bothered closing the floodgates and the floor was covered in a smallish puddle, but I ordered one of the migrants to do it and went to get myself a drink.

14 Limestone 452
The mountainhome has sent a caravan!  It has come in a timely fashion, and I find myself oddly looking forward to speaking with Ast again.  He is currently supervising the caravan's unloading, probably to their annoyance, but at least the dwarf tries.  Unfortunately, he of course remains assigned as the hamlet liaison to Shipnet, but at least this means we still have a friendly voice in the mountainhome.  It also means he has yet to speak out strongly either for or against Roadreined, making him one of the few remaining outwardly neutral parties.

17 Limestone 452
I had intended to refrain from using this journal for personal commentary if possible, but this event is simply too major to overlook: I have entered a relationship with Endok, after co-inhabiting this mountain with her for nearly two years!  This month seems rife with good news, which is a welcome change from the rather melancholic attitude that had taken hold of past seasons.

21 Limestone 452
The lever boy just conducted a successful test of the magma floodgate system.  The last of our bauxite has gone towards proofing the system against the heat, and I hope to have the upper half project entirely finished within the season.  Work progresses slowly on the channeling below the gates, but it is nonetheless progressing.

28 Limestone 452
The caravan is unloaded and awaiting trade, so Ast tells me.  He's found time to come into Shipnet to meet with me today.  I look forward to our discussion, as we will finally be able to requisition more much-needed supplies.

8 Sandstone 452
Another problem has been presented in the magma project.  One of the new engineers that supposedly specialized in material constructs and physics had given my setup the go-ahead when I double-checked it with him.  As a result I gave the order to channel out the volcano wall from the above level.  Clearly, that engineer was wrong to give me that second opinion, as when the magma flooded in, the grates immediately melted down.  The floodgates, despite also being made from granite, seem to be intact for the moment and are successfully restraining the flow from the volcano's pipe, but it seems impossible to predict the effect of the magma on our gating system.  The grates on the opposite side are also made from granite, so I'm ordering them removed and replaced with metal equivalents.

19 Sandstone 452
The merchants departed last week, and our fort has come away with plenty of supplies to last us the winter.

Ast has stayed behind to confer with me regarding next year's trade.

20 Sandstone 452
I'd heard tell of this at the mountainhome, but I had never before seen it with my own eyes.  My old friend Dastot has just gone to claim our craftsdwarf's workshop in the bone stockpile, and slammed the door behind her.  I passed her in the main hallway a few moments ago and asked her about her work, but she simply hissed at me softly and disappeared into an adjoining room.

The stories I had heard varied wildly in their content and their endings, but I recall mentions of these "moods" leading to the most valuable artifacts of our people just as much as the insanity preceding the most violent deaths.

21 Sandstone 452
Whatever bizarre project Dastot has decided to adopt, it has begun as of today.  She came out to co-opt three turtle shells, as well as some spare granite blocks, before disappearing back into the workshop.

25 Sandstone 452
I've finally been able to make time to complete my meeting with Ast, and his requests of Shipnet are most concerning.  My fears have been brought back to light with his list of goods.  Roadreined is demanding maces, quivers, shields... and enough of them to supply an army.  Ast gave the same cryptic goodbye as last year before he began his trek home.

25 Sandstone 452
A few hours after my earlier entry, Dastot finished her project.

She finally came out of the stockroom holding an idol.  She proclaimed that Unibduthal was finished -- that Ragworth was built.  I've looked it over carefully, and believe it to be worth about 6,000 crowns, which of course delighted Dastot.

3 Timber 452
More migrants are at the horizon.  In the typical fashion of this mountain, they've been greeted first with more snow.

4 Timber 452
The new migrants total a group of eleven, plus some pack animal.  Not sure what yet, as it is trailing well behind the group.  Maybe it got stuck in a snowdrift on the way in.

6 Timber 452
As the newest group of migrants got settled, two of them approached me asking to join the military.

The first, one Delther Gembeard, has asked to train in the use of the crossbow.

The second, a fellow by the name of Libash Bauxitebeard, wants to wield a mace for the fortress.

To appease them, and to increase military proportionally to population, I ordered the militia expanded to nine members.  To fill the remaining space, I was surprised to find that the newly-healed Oddom volunteered himself as an axedwarf as well.  He approached me just after I made the announcement, and reintroduced himself to me as Idar Alnis -- "The Dog of War."  He seemed unnervingly intense when I spoke with him, a quality he did not possess before his injury.  I believe I will be staying out of this dwarf's way as much as possible in the future.

Of course, no weapons whatsoever are available for their use yet, so they'll be joining the others training in wrestling.

Meanwhile, most of the other new migrants (including those from the other two groups) have agreed to do essentially the only work left in the fortress -- engraving -- until such time as we can get proper work for them to do within their respective areas of expertise.

16 Timber 452
It occurs to me that the fortress is becoming disorganized beyond function.  I keep asking how much food we have, but whenever I ask Endok or Dastot, they both just shrug and tell me to ask the other one.  To solve this, I'm locking myself in my room and updating the records -- for as long as it takes.  Cog has joined me and is currently sitting on my desk, right on top of the record books that I need to write in.  This must be remedied.

25 Timber 452
Endok poked her head in to check on me today, and while we were talking, crop diversity came up.  Apparently the citizens are tired of having nothing to eat vegetable-wise except plump helmets, so we talked and came to the conclusion that it was time to start planting the other seeds we'd brought.  We're now growing at least a little bit of every crop we brought along.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:19:36 pm by Q-Lok »

Current fort:
The story of a band of exiles, removed forcibly from their mountainhome by a corrupt usurper.  Rith Medtobikal seeks to turn his frozen home into a new monument to the true king's line in defiance of Nish Roadreined (the "ignoble noble").

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2009, 08:50:55 pm »

Hmm. Well, he seems like a nice chap, really. Although giant rats = strength? Strange.

Anyway. It pleases me to see Delther included, so thank you very much. Hmm. Now I might have to do some kind of a journal for him. I think I'll think this over tomorrow later today, when I am not quite as tired.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2009, 01:57:00 am »

Yes; he is, as promised, in the story.  And he himself promises so far to make a good name for himself when the invasions start.

Current fort:

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2009, 10:57:08 am »

I dunno, it might not be a good name he carves for himself, considering the ways of the name generator and all that. It'll certainly be a name, though. Which will probably be a bit odd.

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2009, 05:13:44 pm »

I suppose you're right.  It'll probably be something like "Delther Gembeard the Pink Codpiece of Deforestation," knowing the autonamer.

Current fort:

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2009, 08:13:30 pm »

Bad news, Mad Larks.  Delther just got killed to death by the fort's Champion wrestler in a sparring session.  Guy broke him in half before he bled to death.  I can try to work in some kind of a replacement for him next migrant wave, if you'd like.

Current fort:

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2009, 08:26:45 pm »

Rakustilrom can certainly be female.  It's a gender-neutral name, after all.
Er, it is now.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2009, 08:30:05 pm »

Yeah, this is why I'm glad dwarf names are totally random and genders don't matter except for parenthood.  Very handy.

Current fort:

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 03:14:31 pm »

Next migrant wave has arrived.  Get your names in immediately if you want dorfs this season.

Current fort:

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2009, 04:15:01 pm »

I want to be a Smelter Boy

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2009, 04:17:39 pm »

Okay, I can give you a newly-migrated male furnace operator (no number as yet, since I haven't done the new chart yet).  Is that alright?  And I also could use a proper name for him (unless you want him to go by "Uberdwarf2.0").

Current fort:

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2009, 06:46:07 pm »

uberdwarf 2.0 has been slayed  by a fluffy wambbler :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6