Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]  (Read 12428 times)

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
Re: Shipnet [Community]
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 01:38:02 pm »

With my luck, he'll die from a fallen rock, goblin or an angry dwarf.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 04:37:03 pm »

With my luck, he'll die from a fallen rock, goblin or an angry dwarf.

Or being shot forty times by goblins before finally dying.

scuba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 06:41:10 pm »

i beleive i will cause that rock to fall *shh*

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 07:44:13 pm »

Mm, I'm torn on that.  I want to say the falling rock thing, but Monom already bit it because of that, and that sort of stupidity can't possibly happen twice in a row to major characters.  XD
Plays Dwarf Fortress when bored.  Is probably bored.

Current fort:
Shipnet: For The Throne, But Against The King [Community]
The story of a band of exiles, removed forcibly from their mountainhome by a corrupt usurper.  Rith Medtobikal seeks to turn his frozen home into a new monument to the true king's line in defiance of Nish Roadreined (the "ignoble noble").

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 04:41:07 pm »

Mm, I'm torn on that.  I want to say the falling rock thing, but Monom already bit it because of that, and that sort of stupidity can't possibly happen twice in a row to major characters.  XD

The words, they do nothing to comfort me!
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 05:31:14 pm »

By the rules of the universe it is now bound to happen because you've said this.

DOOM TO ALL WHO STAND BELOW ROCKS.

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 05:33:13 pm »

By the rules of the universe it is now bound to happen because you've said this.

DOOM TO ALL WHO STAND BELOW ROCKS.

This was kind of the point of my saying so.  And yeah, I think any dwarf standing underneath any kind of construction project at all is doomed anyhow.  For that matter, any dwarf not standing under a construction project is doomed, too.  What the hey, everyone's doomed.  Let's have a party.

Current fort:
The story of a band of exiles, removed forcibly from their mountainhome by a corrupt usurper.  Rith Medtobikal seeks to turn his frozen home into a new monument to the true king's line in defiance of Nish Roadreined (the "ignoble noble").

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 03:43:34 pm »

Hokay, on the very slim chance anyone still cares, I have the next season written (finally).  Apologies for the lengthy delay, but school just started back up and I got myself a girlfriend and a social life, so life's been a little crazy.  Anyway, I'm sort of back on the DF horse, so the updates should hopefully come a little quicker in the future.

Current fort:

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 03:45:46 pm »

Summer 452

1 Hematite 452
Our second summer here has begun today.  Unfortunately the day has also brought a kobold invader.  I find myself uncertain whether Shipnet is still safe from an invasion, even here in this godsforsaken mountain.  A trap I constructed outside the door a few months ago quickly dispatched the invader, but still, I worry that this first-line defense will be inadequate should more hostiles appear.

16 Hematite 452
Two more kobold thieves have snuck in through the storms.  Fortunately, one of our dogs saw them enter and alerted the fortress to their presence.  The kobolds fled without any of our goods once they were discovered, but the increase in their activity is greatly concerning.

To handle upcoming threats, I've had a militia organized under Ustuth's command, as he is the only one of us left with any formal training.  To my surprise, Atír, the girl whose rites so recently were passed, has changed her name to Babkadol and volunteered herself for service as a hammerdwarf.  However, as we have not yet obtained hammers, she's decided to train as a wrestler with the other recruits pending our ability to forge proper weapons.  I shall be taking a personal interest in her progress -- a dwarf so upstanding must learn to remain loyal to the people she serves above all.

1 Malachite 452
Word has just reached me that Oddom has been injured outside the gate.  Apparently he was ambushing a wild animal of some kind and broke his hand in the process.

The animal got away, albeit severely injured, but Oddom was left screaming his lungs out for help on the mountainside.  He seems to have exceptional vocal fortitude, as he had been screaming for days before anyone went outside to hear him.  He also apparently refuses to move, because he is afraid of the single elk roaming about at the bottom of the ridge.

The only solution that has presented itself is to send the new militia out to protect him, as he also refuses to be moved.

6 Malachite 452
More migrants have appeared at the edge of the mountain's ridge!

I am standing back from my preparations to greet them as I write this, but this promises to be another busy season for our fortress.  My past concerns about Roadreined and his political cleansing agenda have resurfaced, of course, but at least this time the influx of new citizens is contributing to the stability of our little society.  I have yet to really discuss the situation in the mountainhome with last season's group, as none of them have been terribly upfront about exactly what has happened since my band left.  Hopefully I will be able to find out more details from this new group of immigrants.

8 Malachite 452
I've been informed by Endok that we need a sheriff.  I'm not sure why this is, as we are mostly exiles with almost total self-regulation.  In fact, I myself have been manager, bookkeeper, broker, and leader for our entire expedition for over a year and have managed just fine so far.  However, with these new immigrants coming in such large groups, I am concerned that I would be incapable of taking on the duties of yet another "noble" position.  So I've spoken with one of the newly-migrated peasants about increasing his station in our mountain.

Lokum Nosingzon has with grace accepted the position of Sheriff in the mountain fortress Zuglarkib.

11 Malachite 452
I was walking through the main corridor today, and decided to poke my head into the dining room/barracks/food stocks to get something to eat.  On my way in, I discovered that Oddom, the dwarf that was recently injured, had finally brought himself in to let his hand mend.  Unfortunately, when I walked in, he told me he's thirsty.  We need to finish the well.

26 Malachite 452
I issued the general orders to complete the well on the day of my last entry, and it seems that we are getting closer to completing them.  However, as usual, we've run into some construction issues: Endok has sealed herself in the well.  Again.  This time, though, for lack of a better solution I'm having Ascubis and one of the new peasants (who has opted to take up a pick) come down and dig her out so that she can patch the walls correctly.

Everything in the lever room above that area, however, seems to be in order.

3 Galena 452
Despite my concerns about creatures getting in through the river, I feel that Oddom can wait no longer.  So with one section of the grating missing, I've decided to pull the lever to open the river and fill the well.

Moments later, the well below began to fill up, and thankfully it did not flood the lower levels.  This is primarily thanks to Endok's successes in patching up the holes in the lower wall.

I am presently standing above the well's opening, and I can hear the water coming up to the bucket's level.  At last, we have water!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:49:11 pm by Q-Lok »

Current fort:

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2009, 08:57:00 pm »

Any megaprojects going on or planned?

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2009, 11:45:54 pm »

Nothing yet, but I've got a few ideas.  I just mostly want to get the basics working first before I start worrying about any of that, though.

Current fort:

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 08:44:38 pm »

Ah. Well, I suppose that makes sense. Looking forward to the appearance of Delther. Also, what ideas do you have in mind?

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 09:02:11 pm »

Well, firstly the obvious one: a plotline.  I'm working on some ideas for where this can go in the middle-game chunks, but that's pretty secondary (again) until I can actually get the basics of fortress life finished up.  Also I'd like for someone to eventually bring in a dwarf that has a reason to suggest something good.  In that vein I'm pretty open to ideas right now.

For specific projects, I was thinking of maybe some massive hollowed-out chunks of the mountain, turned into halls and dedicated to depictions of the "true king," Goden Roughlances and/or the death of Roadreined.  Possibly also incorporating magma into their design, but I'm still working on a way for that to make sense.

Current fort:

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 04:32:02 pm »

Hmm...I'd suggest a massive statue above the entrance with magma at the base. Or turning the above-ground area into a massive castle that hides the entrance. Or both.

Q-Lok

• Bay Watcher
  • Cog Mersethoslan
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 10:48:40 pm »

Well, just as an FYI, I'm planning to move the entrance before too long, so I'm not sure how well that first idea would go over with that, but I'll keep it in mind.  Also, I'm not wild about the castle idea, just because it seems like a very common thing to do and not nearly as impressive as it used to be.

Current fort:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6