Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: catless vermin solution?  (Read 1239 times)

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
catless vermin solution?
« on: July 09, 2009, 05:18:20 pm »

i tried to make this fortress non reliant on cats for vermin control by useing animal traps. it was working pretty well for awhile but now that i'm cooking meals, my dwarves are not eating the captured vermin any more and since animal traps are glitched, i cant sell the vermin... or can i?

so can i have any tips and tricks you others have tried?
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: catless vermin solution?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 05:22:48 pm »

Just ignore the vermin.

They'll eat some of the food, but you can easily ramp up food production a bit to compensate.

They don't eat that much food, and you can use metal barrels if you have an ample supply of goblinite for your smelters. Metal barrels resists vermin better than wood barrels do.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 05:27:02 pm »

I think you can sell the trap with the vermin in it, the same as elves do to you.

(I wonder if steel traps would allow a quick magma submersion to kill off the vermin, and then be recoverable?  If you're dealing with high enough volume, might be something to look into??  Probably more trouble than its worth, but still, that doesn't always matter.  ;)  )

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 05:49:32 pm »

would it work to have a channel with an vermin stockpile at the bottom, accessible by stairs but with a lockable door, with bauxite flood gates on either end? then when your steel traps fill up, they get hauled their automatically, when it's full, you lock the door so no dwarves can wander in, pull the lever on your floodgates and flood it with magma? does that disintegrate the vermin in the cage and leave the steel cage behind?

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 06:13:42 pm »

i dont think that would work because if i recall correctly that doesent happen to creatures inside regular cages.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 06:18:34 pm »

Cages are dimensional pockets. You can put a creature in a cage, dip the cage in magma, and if the case survives the creature will be perfectly healthy.

Obviously this does not work with wooden cages, but iron and steel cages will keep the occupant completely safe.

You could also build a bunch of animal traps and have trappers working from kennels. Have them continually patrol the fortress catching vermin in cages.

As an added bonus, your dwarves will then eat this vermin. Apparently its the dwarven version of sushi.  :o

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:23:09 pm »

saddly that was the plan but ever since i have been cooking meals, the vermin have been uneaten, my animal sotckpile is full.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 06:31:43 pm »

You can get them in a cage somehow, I think if you tame them.

Can you put them in a pit?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 06:40:15 pm »

so wait hang on.... is it impossible to even let vermin out of cages? could you do the channel idea, and then unlock the cages, let them out, and then flow the magma?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 06:42:46 pm »

hmm, I think that would work. I once saw a bat vermin that was trapped in a bedroom, it was 'teleporting' around and could have teleported out, but it was definetly trapped.

Still, theres a massive amount of vermin, so I don't think you would be able to completely get rid of them.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 06:45:46 pm »

Don't train them and keep the vermin trap stockpile closer to your meeting zone than your food is.

Dwarves will eat wild vermin if its the closest food item. They will not eat tamed/trained vermin however.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 07:16:19 pm »

just atom smash them

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 07:23:52 pm »

just atom smash them

You have to build new traps then  :-\

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 07:37:59 pm »

Just build a wooden cage and keep storing vermin in that.  I've got a tame bat in one of my cages.  And if you ever decide you don't want the vermin anymore, you can just drop the wooden cage in magma, destroying the cage.  Not a big deal if you have enough wood and have piled in enough vermin.  Or you can store the vermin for the time you forget to make food.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 08:52:29 pm »

I'd just get some cats, personally. You're denying your dwarves one of the four basic food groups - cat biscuits.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: [1] 2