Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: overall story or plot line  (Read 1832 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
overall story or plot line
« on: July 09, 2009, 04:17:37 pm »

ive searched for this idea and found nothing to similar so here it goes

This is a little premature since the development of map wide events in df game play (at least in fortress mode) isnt yet released (as far as im aware)

What i suggest is this

When you generate a world a randomly generated overal plot line is generated with it.

The plot line could be fairly generic e.g.

Darklord rises up and attempts to take over world

A great civil war between dwarf halls

A great plague spreads through land

The treachury of the elves etc.

Over the course of a 20 or more year period civiliastions events and elements in the game world playout in this story line. Either your adventurer or your fortress can take part in them, or just try adn ignore/avoid them.

So when politics and moving armys around the map comes in to the game your actions here could influence the story for good or ill.

You may be able to win the story, or just survive it. I think this idea would work best if it was more of a subtle back story until your fortress was fully fledged e.g. the odd message of strange folk aboard from traders and diplomats. But when your fortress is reasonably strong (or your adventurer fit) you may find allies asking you to join them in battle or shelter refugees, or you may decide to shut your gates to the world, or even find an undead horde at your gates (commanded by an evil liche lord).
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: overall story or plot line
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:31:10 pm »

The game will, according to the devnotes, have large scale events happen.   Wars, diplomacy, plagues, etc, are all planned.   

You're just using different words to describe things that are already planned.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 04:44:09 pm »

What this game is moving towards is less of a prescribed story line and more events happening organically.

In other words, ideally a dark lord of some kind COULD try taking over the world, but it would arise from actual interactions between creatures and civilizations and the world. I like it better that way anyhow. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:45:34 pm »

Or, you can be that dark lord!

Recycle goblin armor into masterwork plate and weapons, and turn that never ending stream of soap makers into legendary axelords and send them marching off to conquer the world.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 06:22:05 pm »

The entire point of the game is for such stories to arise organically. Problem is that you can't take part in wars as is or influence politics

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 06:39:02 pm »

The entire point of the game is for such stories to arise organically. Problem is that you can't take part in wars as is or influence politics

Yet.

Thats what the army arc is for.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 09:11:53 am »

can you interact with said events in adventurer mode. I havnt palyed @ mode much but all the quests appear fairly generic.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 09:42:30 am »

can you interact with said events in adventurer mode. I havnt palyed @ mode much but all the quests appear fairly generic.

It helps if you think of it as a stub rather than a full game

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 04:46:26 pm »

Even the really basic "kill this monster because he stole this object (or killed my aunt)" quests are generated based on actual world interactions based on how creatures act. When someone tells you that a titan stole a sock from that town, it's because there was a titan around who actually decided to do that.

There are also wars and stuff right now, just not much to do about them as a player.

But yeah, Granite26 is right. Most of the what will be in the game isn't yet as far as this stuff is concerned.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 04:53:45 pm »

As always, keep in mind that the game is in early alpha stages.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 09:18:39 pm »

sad thing is DF, 1.0 witll take years :(
Hello Hunam

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 05:19:40 am »

sad thing is DF, 1.0 witll take years :(
That's a good thing. We get to see it grow.

Besides, it's better than a half-assed version now and progressively less inspired versions thereafter.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:09:20 am by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 05:47:00 am »

Personally I don't think any game should come out of beta! A "final" version has less room for change and adaptation, so what you see is all you'll ever get.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 09:57:53 am »

Personally I don't think any game should come out of beta! A "final" version has less room for change and adaptation, so what you see is all you'll ever get.

Oh, there's always waiting for DF 2.0. Or uh, Slaves to Armok 3.0
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 09:59:31 am »

DWARF FORTRESS 10.0 release date: 2050.
Pages: [1] 2