Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Evil biome's and the dead  (Read 4852 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evil biome's and the dead
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:51:32 pm »

The evil biomes right now are pretty nice and also pretty challenging at times but that's not going to stop me from making my suggestion. I think that evil biomes should carry an additional issue of keeping the dead... dead.

Essentially I think that when a corpse is changed from XXXX Corpse -> XXXX Rotten Corpse it should have a chance to turn into a skeletal/zombie unit of the same type. For example a dead war dog might get back up as a zombie war dog. Using coffins and indoor burial areas could reduce this risk. Indoor burials would not be entirely safe from the dead rising back up but coffins would be.

It'd add a unique twist to the evil biome game play and place a bigger importance on the dead other than them just being free bones. Also changes the balance of weapons. Using kill methods that reduce your opponents to 'chunks' rather than corpses would result in a lot less angry zombies at your gates.

Since zombies and skeletal units only drop rotten corpses and bones there'd be no problem with a unit dieing + getting up repeatedly.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biome's and the dead
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 02:59:50 pm »

It's been suggested before, but you have a clever way of implimenting it

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 03:11:33 pm »

I really like it. You could even manufacture zombies over time for your own purposes by tossing creatures and bodies into a pit

Evil biomes will be done away with but we'll probably have something this would fit

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:28:25 pm »

I imagine evil biomes won't be 'done away with' so much as subdivided into undead areas and monstrous areas and elder god areas, etc.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:44:40 pm »

I thought that areas were associated with spheres of influence now rather than 'good/evil'. 

Regardless, certain areas with evilish spheres will probably have rising undead.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:47:38 pm »

Orders: mutilate bodies: y
Orders: burn bodies: n

(but only because we're low on wood)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:00:18 pm »

I thought that areas were associated with spheres of influence now rather than 'good/evil'. 

Regardless, certain areas with evilish spheres will probably have rising undead.

right

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 06:12:55 pm »

Orders: mutilate bodies: y
Orders: burn bodies: n

(but only because we're low on wood)

Yeah, I'd want this if bodies getting back up were a possibility. Dwarves aren't stupid, and I'd want a way for them to preemptively kill off any potential undead. Another possible option would be to allow burying non-dwarves in coffins, though that seems less dwarfy than mutilating them.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 07:25:22 pm »

It's a lot of work carving up a body, it'd be easier to let them rot and maul anything getting back up before looting them and tossing the meat outside. Alternatively, if corpses ever become containers like in real life (ie socks not blowing off your feet when you die), it might be best to loot their armor before they get up again

Oh man, armored zombies. Bad ass

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 10:22:52 am »

Just wait until your legendary hammerdwarf in full steel plate gets back up along with the dozens of dead goblins it would have to take to bring him down in the first place.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 03:22:30 pm »

When there's something strange, in the neighbourhood...
Who you gonna call?

Dwarf fortress!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 03:26:45 pm »

I remember playing the 2d version a few days back and coming across skeletal humans in a ruin, that is something we don't have right now, but it's something to take into account when reclaiming a fort in an evil area: The old occupants not making it out, and becoming zombies. Maybe a few skeletals from those already buried at abbandoning..?
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 03:30:29 pm »

Let me see, a list of possibly Evil Spheres

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:33:18 pm by Neonivek »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 03:37:44 pm »

Deformity... twisted dwarves with seven arms and seven axes! Rhesus macaques that can steal every item in your fort in one trip!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 05:42:31 pm »

quik fix- designate a magma pit/ brook for dumping bodies :D
Hello Hunam
Pages: [1] 2 3