Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Draining pools  (Read 971 times)

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Draining pools
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:15:14 pm »

If I build a floor over the top of a murky pool and drain it, will it refill?

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Draining pools
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 12:34:52 am »

additionally, why are my haulers never taking away items from my butchery?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:51:20 am »

1) Murky pools that have drained refill with rainfall.  I'm guessing if you prevent the rain from getting to the pool(ie, build something on top of it), the pool won't be able to refill.

2) Are the items forbidden?  Is there space in a designated stockpile for them?  I can't say much more if you don't give more detail.

3) Double posting is unnecessary.  Please use the Modify button in instances like this.

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:03:36 am »

additionally, why are my haulers never taking away items from my butchery?

Stargrasper's answer to your first question is right. :) Additionally, if you've built the needed stockpiles (refuse and food) and the items aren't forbidden, it's likely that your dwarves have too many labors enabled to get to the items in time. Designate some refuse and food haulers specifically and don't let them have any other labors. Or, if the thought of them being idle bugs you, make your growers your food haulers, or enable some other non-intensive labors for them.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:21:20 am »

Another possibility re: the butcher problem is that the butcher's workshop is outside and you don't have dwarves set to collect outside refuse so bones/skulls/chunks are left in the workshop and the dwarves will never touch them. If that's the case, o-r-o will sort it :) As Stargrasper said, though, more info is needed to correctly diagnose the problem.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 03:54:24 am »

If I build a floor over the top of a murky pool and drain it, will it refill?

to go a step further - if you leave some water in the pool (at least 1/7) won't the pool refill automatically - as 'murky pool' tiles do?

a potential cool scheme there: cover the pools, have them draining (but not fully) into an underground cistern, then.....do whatever people like to do with water.....

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 04:48:52 am »

to go a step further - if you leave some water in the pool (at least 1/7) won't the pool refill automatically - as 'murky pool' tiles do?

No.  I'm pretty sure murky pools only refill by collecting rain or when snow/ice melts, that there's no "automatic" about it.

How quickly they refill depends on the temperature, etc. of the biome; in hot, dry climates it may only refill to 1/7 or 2/7!  And then evaporate away so damned quickly...

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 05:32:57 am »

ah, thankee!

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 10:19:49 am »

I've noticed that hauling food is a frustratingly low priority task. Getting dwarves to haul prepared meals away from a kitchen is like pulling teeth, and even with dedicated refuse haulers indoor butcher's shops usually produce miasma until the chunks rot away. Always butcher outside, dwarves, for some reason, hate cleaning up.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 02:25:09 pm »

This is why I always build my butcher shops behind an 'airlock' - Two doors separated by 2 tiles. Because all the junk WILL rot and WILL take eons to be thrown away, so this way the only people suffering from the miasma is the butcher and whatever poor fool eventually DOES make his way over to the shop to haul some rotting piece of junk away.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 02:29:51 pm »

You can destroy a murky pond by building a road over it.

But if you just want to collect water, then I recommend creating a drain and cistern a Z level lower, so all rainfall will drop down a level. If water is on the surface it can evaporate if the climate is hot enough.

With clever use of cisterns, you can gather a tremendous amount of water even in a very dry and hot region, without any river or brook.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 02:41:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure murky pools only refill by collecting rain or when snow/ice melts, that there's no "automatic" about it.

Confirmed.  At least the falling rain.  Falling snow creates no water.

How quickly they refill depends on the temperature, etc. of the biome; in hot, dry climates it may only refill to 1/7 or 2/7!  And then evaporate away so damned quickly...

Some pools dry up quickly after embark and "never" refill.  On these maps (if there is no river/brook) it can be imperative to drain that water to underground quickly so you have something for your wounded and to base a well over, at least until you find an aquifer/UG river/etc.

This is why I always build my butcher shops behind an 'airlock' - Two doors separated by 2 tiles.

Miasma does not drift thru diagonals - just put the access on the corners, done deal w/out doors.  Same w/ carcass stockpile - if it rots, it's trapped there.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 05:49:52 pm »

This is why I always build my butcher shops behind an 'airlock' - Two doors separated by 2 tiles.

Miasma does not drift thru diagonals - just put the access on the corners, done deal w/out doors.  Same w/ carcass stockpile - if it rots, it's trapped there.

The problem with that is that, though that may be true, it seems to be a bug in my book. Bugs get fixed. It may be best to get in the habit of building "airlocks" now, rather than breaking the habit (and breaking your old fortresses) later.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.