Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buildings List & Food Stockpile Question  (Read 704 times)

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Buildings List & Food Stockpile Question
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:04:34 pm »

Hi all,

First of all thanks for answering all my questions to date. You've been very helpful! Got 2 more now...

1) I'm browsing the buildings list, and I notice that some buildings are colored red, and some have (S) next to them. From wiki I see that in stocks dark red means   not owned by fort (trade goods and equipment worn by traders or enemies) but I don't see how that's possible for a building of mine (e.g., Modest Quarters). What do the dark red in building list and the (S) mean?

2) I've got a TON of food in my food stockpile just sitting there, not in barrels. I've got barrels to spare, empty squares in the food stockpile, and every single one of my dwarves with food and furniture hauling on, but the dwarves are idling and the food is staying on the ground. What gives? Why won't they put the food in the barrels?

Thanks!

mj

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
Re: Buildings List & Food Stockpile Question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:21:28 pm »

Not sure about the first one, but for the second, go to the food stockpile and check how many barrels are allowed.  'R' should set to max-barrel (ie, one barrel for each space in the stockpile).  You can have the same problem with bins in other stockpiles, which you need to press 'V' to max that out.  This happens sometimes when you create a stockpile and forget to change it to the type you want, so you 'q' over after and change the type, but it doesn't change the barrel/bin allowance.

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:42:02 pm »

Hey thanks for the reply. I checked that, and it says 195 barrels. I only have about 75 in the whole stockpile...

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:48:14 am »

1) I'm browsing the buildings list, and I notice that some buildings are colored red, and some have (S) next to them. From wiki I see that in stocks dark red means   not owned by fort (trade goods and equipment worn by traders or enemies) but I don't see how that's possible for a building of mine (e.g., Modest Quarters). What do the dark red in building list and the (S) mean?

2) I've got a TON of food in my food stockpile just sitting there, not in barrels. I've got barrels to spare, empty squares in the food stockpile, and every single one of my dwarves with food and furniture hauling on, but the dwarves are idling and the food is staying on the ground. What gives? Why won't they put the food in the barrels?

1) i'm sorry, i can't help on that. **scratches head**

2) often the 'tidying up' process of moving food/items to barrels/bins only occurs when the dwarves really have very little else to do, so it may just be that your dwarves are working so hard that that's a really low priority for them. once one dwarf puts a plump helmet into a barrel, then the other dwarves seem to realise "oh, you mean that empty barrel can have ph in? i didn't know that" and then they start to tidy up a bit...but sometimes it takes a while for them to get that idea. in short: give them a bit of down time without jobs when they can choose to do the tidying.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:16:28 am »

It's possible your barrels are already queued up for different tasks. You see it sometimes, a dwarf will go pick up a seed out of the workshop and drop it in a bag in the furniture stockpile. Churn out some more barrels, eventually your dwarves will put them into food (to my knowledge, dwarves will only reserve one barrel/bin per stockpile, so once you have more excess barrels/bins than stockpiles it should work. This is also why micromanaged small stockpiles are a bad BAD idea).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 12:26:47 pm »

Yeah, I've just tried waiting a bit pumping out barrels and it seems that they're slowly getting rid of all the food lying in the open... Thanks for the advice everyone!

Anyone know about the dark red buildings in buildings list, or the (S) next to it?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 12:39:53 pm »

to my knowledge, dwarves will only reserve one barrel/bin per stockpile, so once you have more excess barrels/bins than stockpiles it should work. This is also why micromanaged small stockpiles are a bad BAD idea

I agree that this can be annoying. In my fort, I designed a rather lavish jail area (though I have no criminals, so it's empty), complete with a booze stockpile next to each silver chain. Unfortunately, it ended up reserving 1 empty barrel for each stockpile which my dorfs absolutely refused to use even for producing more booze ("Urist McBrewer cancels Brew Drink: needs empty barrel").
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »

take a look at the red building with the q menu and a white one and see if there's any notable differences. you're venturing into uncharted territory here!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 02:21:50 pm »

If food is in a stockpile, then the dwarves see no reason to move it - it's in a stockpile, what's the problem?!  You have to remove the stockpile out from under it if you want it moved (and barreled!)

Don't remove vast swaths of food stockpiles all at once - the food might rot while waiting to be moved.  Do it bit by bit.  You can also customize a generic food stockpile using <q, s>, and simply remove one type of food from that stockpile - maybe meat, or cat meat, or plump helmets, or whatever.  Once that's moved (perhaps to a custom stockpile that accepts only that type of food), then move on to the next one.

And don't let any prepared meals rot while all your food haulers are concentrating on shuffling that stuff.  Because they will.

As for the <r> menu thing... very odd.  Mine are all white, 100%, no notes.  I doubt the stocks menu abbreviations would apply - they're diff menus.  Perhaps some were built with stone that was not mined, but brought along on embark?

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 02:27:13 pm »

That's possible - I brought stone along on embark because I was building my own picks and axes. I'll check that out when I get home.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 08:58:59 pm »

I registered simply to answer this question, since no one else seems to know!

It means that the room is overlapping another one.

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 09:49:37 pm »

That.

Plus, a possible reason for the no-barrel thing is that very large stacks of prepared food can't fit in barrels.

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 12:36:14 pm »

Ah ha, thank you very much. The red and the (S) both mean that, or does one mean something else?

-Dave

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 02:21:51 pm »

Ah ha, thank you very much. The red and the (S) both mean that, or does one mean something else?

-Dave

Both mean the same thing.