Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you feel about the Magic School Sim/roguelike idea?

I like it.
- 8 (40%)
Nice!  It should have (write suggestion)
- 0 (0%)
mmm... I've seen this somewhere...
- 0 (0%)
Awesome!
- 3 (15%)
Sounds interesting.
- 4 (20%)
Nah...
- 5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Simple Game Project. (STAGE: on hold. Learning OpenGl)  (Read 11397 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

I'm going to sleep now but tomorrow morning I'll post my comments and ideas for the game.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had been thinking about a smaller scale project.  An small magic "school" with only one master and 5 young men learning and competing to be the next alchemist/wizard/whatever.  But it was just for the sake of simplification. 

Spoiler: Movement (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Movement (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Level generation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Level generation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spellcasting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spellcasting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Failure (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Failure (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Development (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Development (click to show/hide)

We need to define if we are making a big school or a small school/workshop with only one master and few pupils.  Less pupils will give space for improved AI.  Bigger school gives space for a lot of things but may end up being pretty complex.

Now that so much time has passed.  It may be time to perform a check on those who were interested so as to see what sort of team we can use to make the design document.  Resources & tools that we're gonna use should be set soon because the desing should take them into account.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

One of the ideas I brought up in IRC was that the archmage had summoned an alternate world kind of space that was similar to that MC escher stairs thing(the one with no specific down), and hidden higher level knowledge in it for the students. This would have specific areas set up in it where to poss to learn new secrets you have to utilize your knowledge. It also adds an end-game component where potentially another dimension breaks into it and you have to fight your way to the end to stop it and save the school.
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi everyone... Given the lack of responses I've been toying around with the mechanics for procedural generation.  Messing around with dungeon generation and stuff.  I already have my flood fill function too see if there are non-connected spots. 

My problem is not knowing exactly what should I aim for in terms of procedural generation.  How to make it practical but pseudo-random.

What do we want for a school?  Does someone have any ideas as to how it should be?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Exercise 1
How would you Design an ASCII magic school with the following characteristics?:

- Astronomy Tower.
- Headmaster's Room.
- 6 Common Bedrooms 3 for boys and 3 for girls (with bathrooms).  Total Cap: 30 people.
- Main Hall
- Enrance Hall
- Kitchen
- 4 Large Classrooms and 10 small ones.
- Workshop
- Lab
- Any other thing you feel like adding.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it could build it from preconstructed blocks of 10x10 tiles given connection information(an int for each of the 6 directions, matches the N int to another block's S int and so on), though it would be a bit difficult to avoid unmatchable situations...
Eh?
Eh!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

I'd toss all the needed rooms into a container (vector's probably the best, or any kind of list) and then start with the entrance on the first floor. Add in the first room and then pick the next room, based upon what the first room was.

So if the first room was a class room, the next room is more likely to be a class room as well. Now here's the trick: you've got a limited amount of class rooms, so eventualy you're out of class rooms and something else will be added. Then everything starts anew.

When you pick a room this way, you attach it to the currently active room. If there's no place to atach it to the active room, you put it back in the container and select and adjacent room as the active room.

If you then try to fit everything into a predefined area and add in conectivety via staircases then you should be able to make a convincing school.
There's one problem though: this methode won't create a good fit. To fix that you'll eventualy have to either expand the existing rooms to fill up gaps, or use the gaps for secret rooms and passages.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a bit more experience with OpenGL and pixel-accuracy, so I think I know how to make a slightly better engine, if you needed/wanted one...
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Virex:  What parameters should a room have besides width and lenght? 

When Do you add the hallways? before fitting the rooms? 

I suppose you will work with grids to place those rooms.

Your alternative for gaps is sound.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a bit more experience with OpenGL and pixel-accuracy, so I think I know how to make a slightly better engine, if you needed/wanted one...
Ok... you've teased me too much.  Now you have to show me... 

What do I have to learn from OpenGl to effectively start using it?

What features does it have?   Pros and cons?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, you need to initiate it, although I still use code copied from a tutorial.

From what I have heard, actually using it is similar to directX and with similar features.

As for learning it, The Red Book is a common standard, though some of it's samples are a bit outdated, and it does not mention setting it up, only actually using it.

I don't know about pros and cons, but it is available on almost any platform, making it much easier to port to other operating systems.
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was talking about the engine... not the opengl library...

Thanks for the link though.  I'll try to start practising with it.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh. If I can make a decent engine, you just feed it the terrain at load-time, and directions for items and stuff.

But first, what sort of view would be desired?
2D? 3D? Isometric? Something else?

I have a prototype of an idea to make DF isometric, by simply drawing in two stages for simplified transparency

Though it could be restructured to a full engine, or the old tile-created, draws-to-the-terrain idea for a generic zombie game (the red splatters were placed by clicking)

Or even the old roguelike attempt
Eh?
Eh!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

Virex:  What parameters should a room have besides width and lenght? 
I was thinking about use, danger and danger tollerance. You're going to place the mess hall and the kitchens close together and close to the dorm rooms, so they'd both be part of the "living quarters" type, whereas classrooms would be part of the "class room" type, possibly with subtypes.

Also, you'd want to keep the living quarters well away from the alchemy lab, just as anything that can't take a small explosion, so the alchemy lab has a high danger level and the living quarters all have a low danger tollerance. The outside always has a high danger tollerance, so the alchemy lab tends to be on the outside of the building where a "mistake" would be less devastating
When Do you add the hallways? before fitting the rooms? 

I suppose you will work with grids to place those rooms.

Your alternative for gaps is sound.

I was actualy thinking of adding in the hallways during room placement. Basicly, you'd add a hallway all around the first room, then add the second room, including a hallway all around (ofcourse you'd need to make it so that you don't get two hallways right next to eachother.)
Then you override parts of the hallway that are unused now. So if the first room exits into the hallway to the north, and you add a room in the west that exits to the north as well, you could erase the hallway in between them. Of course you need to know what to erase. The best criteria I can come up with is that the hallway doesn't lead anywhere.

If this leads to a map with too much connectivity, you could also erase some hallways based upon a distance check: If everything is connected, you remove the longest hallways that form the longest connection between two room entrances and expand rooms accordingly.

Also, if you'd remove a hallway, instead of expanding it you could always make it a hidden hallway with a passage to another area. If it ends in the outer wall, you could make a hidden exit, if it's on the first floor you could add secret stairs, if it's near the dimensional lab you'd add a portal to a secret vault et cetera.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:08:39 pm by Virex »

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

Hello!

i just remembered i wanted to help with this...

anywho, whats been done so far? is it still WIP for the planning?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10