Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you feel about the Magic School Sim/roguelike idea?

I like it.
- 8 (40%)
Nice!  It should have (write suggestion)
- 0 (0%)
mmm... I've seen this somewhere...
- 0 (0%)
Awesome!
- 3 (15%)
Sounds interesting.
- 4 (20%)
Nah...
- 5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Simple Game Project. (STAGE: on hold. Learning OpenGl)  (Read 11398 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

This will actually be c++, but programming is still programming and flow charts work for every language...

After some hesitation i'm starting to consider the idea of having a graphical interface but I'll have to see who is willing to work or learn wich library...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been programming a lot for college and took a break from it last day... 

I don't think I  can afford trying to learn opengl seeing I'm already orienting towards DirectX (wich I will need at work). 

I've been thinking about this magic school sim and will start a mechanics documents as soon as possible...

Meanwhile... help and ideas are still welcome... This WONT die.  I'll make sure of it.  Even if I have to end up doing it myself.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile

What are the games we are voting on?

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

follow the links, they're on the first post... Anyway... the latest idea seems to be to make a small magic school sim/roguelike...

The poll might have been an advertisement tactic...  :P
Spoiler: "Final voting" (click to show/hide)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile

My game didnt make it?

:C

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

So...  Are you going to make a bunch of polls in succession?  Because I'm fond of the Hell Dayz one myself.

"Magic School" sounded cool to me, until I realized it meant from the perspective of the student.  The image in my mind was some kind of "Tycoon" like game, where you manage a magic school.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was only present for a very small part of the IRC, but it seemed like the magic school gained a lot of support after Qwertyuiopas mentioned making game-play changing files that were a by-product of the roguelike I suggested. He had the idea of making it possible to, if you had already beaten the mage school game, buy potions in the B12 Builder, and be able to win the B12 Builder by making your own mage school in the city.

I'd think that since both ideas are probably only doing well because people like the idea of them affecting each other, that this should be two very well coordinated teams. This has two bonuses to it. 1) One game will probably be easier, meaning that alot of the newby-ish coders can all dog-pile that game and get it done while leaving the more experienced to handle the other game and provide guidance to the other team. 2) It allows more of the graphics volunteers to get a crack at this, which means that the games will have different art-styles, which I think is a plus.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

The idea was that you could export a town to a file, and if it had the appropriate constructions, you could load it into the mage school game.

Both(all three? four? more?) games could produce and read .trade files, basically exported objects.
These would be shared ingame through travelling traders, similar to DF caravans, though instead of trading between cities, they trade between GAMES.

The price would be calculated by the game itself dring the trade, so people couldn't hex-edit their own superweapon and make it free. It would have a matching superprice.
Eh?
Eh!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been programming a lot for college and took a break from it last day... 

I don't think I  can afford trying to learn opengl seeing I'm already orienting towards DirectX (wich I will need at work). 

I've been thinking about this magic school sim and will start a mechanics documents as soon as possible...

Meanwhile... help and ideas are still welcome... This WONT die.  I'll make sure of it.  Even if I have to end up doing it myself.

But what are you commiting to?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to note that learning OpenGL as well as Direct3D will only improve your Direct3D code, they are similar enough it should not be significant effort and will give you a greater insight into how Direct3D interacts with the graphics hardware.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

The hardest bit  that you might need would be setting it up.
I still use code copied off code copied off code copied off some tutorial.
Eh?
Eh!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile

Let's get this idea back up.

Last time we were discussing if we should do a magic school-themed rougelike. As the voting doesn't seem to give any conclusive results, I'd say: Just do it! It doesn't matter that much if it isn't the greatest setting, because Dungeon Crawl doesn't even have a functional backstory...

Since it's always best to lead by example, I've made a small list of what needs to be done, in no particular order except that of my twisted mind:

Spoiler: Movement (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Level generation (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spellcasting (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Failure (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Development (click to show/hide)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great!  I've been a bit busy with some delayed college finals  (thanks swine floo) but I've been thinking about making a hard set decision by this weekend.  So I gotta go now but I'll read and comment later on your ideas.

Thanks Virex.  :)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great!  I've been a bit busy with some delayed college finals  (thanks swine floo) but I've been thinking about making a hard set decision by this weekend.  So I gotta go now but I'll read and comment later on your ideas.

Thanks Virex.  :)

*gets gas mask and hazard suit*
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No... I didn't have swine floo... But college close because of it.  There was a sort of state of higienic emergency in Argentina AFTER the elections.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10