Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you feel about the Magic School Sim/roguelike idea?

I like it.
- 8 (40%)
Nice!  It should have (write suggestion)
- 0 (0%)
mmm... I've seen this somewhere...
- 0 (0%)
Awesome!
- 3 (15%)
Sounds interesting.
- 4 (20%)
Nah...
- 5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Simple Game Project. (STAGE: on hold. Learning OpenGl)  (Read 11414 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

Radical idea:

Make it a BYOND tile-based game.

BYOND does all the work of visibility, where the player can move, the player's controls, gives a standardised editor, has mouse support, and does all the network stuff for you.

Though it won't be nearly as powerful of an option of a custom game engine or some C-variant, it means everyone has the same editor and it works on proven technology.

(BYOND supports text-based, ASCII, and tile based games through the automatically generated interfaces, although you can create your own interface for more control)
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

Are you thinking of making a multiplayer online game?

I'm assuming it uses a script...  What would the learning curve be? 

What I really don't like about using a script-based game making engine is that we would limit ourselves to it instead of growing in terms of a programming language and it's uses.

The whole lot of automatic things that an engine can do (Like wrapping memory up and stuff) maybe fool us and lure as into a false sense of security where we won't look at optimization.

If we were to do a roguelike (with or without curses) there's the possibility to enable mouse support using the windows console commands.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

narakal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

um.... sorry if I sound ignorant... but how do you use IRC? I have installed mIRC for it so far...

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well... first you have to connect to a server (in this case irc.globalgamers.net) and from there you need to join a channel to speak about it.

You've probably seen this but it helps...
http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/mirc.html
connect to the right server and then
/join #simplegame

there's also a #bay12games channel in irc.newnet.net to talk about DF...and lots of other channels for different things...

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

is there a free IRC thing anywhere?

i don't want to pay £20 for something i probably won't use after this.

we COULD just use steam for IRC...

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mirc is free.  Just press Ok everytime it asks you for a donation.

IceChat is also great.

Chatzilla works for firefox.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

Oh, right, cool, joining in a moment then.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile

hmm, it appears to be a huge pile of fail...

this is CONFUSING!!!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SOme IRC chat discussion led to this...

Things people like in a game
- storylines
- challenges and puzzles
- new ideas
- replayability.  New things everytime
- Living worlds
- progresively harder challenges
- rewards
- intuitive and puzzling
- Competent AI
- I love when you look back at earlier things in a new light
- Also games that require you to use Human skill, be it intellect, perception, etc.

Things people hate in a game
- I dislike it when the game doesn't tell you you can do something but expects you to do it anyways
-backtracking
-I hate endless repetition, even with slowly-ramping difficulty

I'd love to produce a game with what I call... balance...

I'll post the logs after we end the conversation...

remember
server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel: #simplegame

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

So, with some very iffy mechanics, Solifuge, Mr.Person and I came up with a Potions Simulator.

The Mechanics, as is, uses ingredients, which can be prepared in certain fashions, such as chopping something up into a powder, crushing it, or drying it out, combining them either with another ingredient or a base (A "base" being a liquid such as water or saline solution). These ingredients are mixed in a certain fashion, such as stirring, boiling or letting it sit, and then adding whatever little things at the end (Like another ingredient, perhaps prepared), and finally stored inside a bottle (of specific choosing?)

So, essentially, it would look something like this:
Step 1) Choose a base.
Step 2) Prepare ingredient(s).
Step 3) Mix ingredient(s) and base.
Step 4) Add extra (prepared) ingredient.
Step 5) Store in bottle.

Maybe with the ability to use potions as bases, or even mix potions together, though this seems like it may have deadly results.

Like, an example may be mixing a water base with bat wings and boiling to create Red Dye Potion. This Potion could then be used as a base for say frog legs and boiling to create a Orange Dye Potion.

Except with potions that don't suck, of course.

As for the story, Solifuge and Mr.Person would probably be able to tell you.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If things are still up in the air in any way, shape, or form, I know I would like to see a reverse Roguelike. I wanna be the one with the dungeon filled with loot for those damned @s to raid. You could take the stuff from dead @s and arm your minions with it. You could have magic to power up your minions. You could go out and buy equipment for them, if you want. There's a lot that could go in this.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If things are still up in the air in any way, shape, or form, I know I would like to see a reverse Roguelike. I wanna be the one with the dungeon filled with loot for those damned @s to raid. You could take the stuff from dead @s and arm your minions with it. You could have magic to power up your minions. You could go out and buy equipment for them, if you want. There's a lot that could go in this.

I like this idea, but then I've always loved dungeon keeper and evil genius style of games.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Ironically, Toady sort of already made a reverse roguelike - Kobold Quest, where you fight adventurers with a bunch of scruffy, bug-throwing kobolds.  And yes, it's fun, but the only real end state is either invincibility or death, because when you're the badguy waiting for goodguys to come to you, you can only be so proactive.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mirc is free.  Just press Ok everytime it asks you for a donation.

IceChat is also great.

Chatzilla works for firefox.

HydraIRC is cooler :P

@Aqizzar: Kobold Quest is good. If only Toady release the source too :P. We may be able to go out and steal from the people! FROM THE PEOPLE!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10